What's new

Miami Vice Officially Announced! (now w/Feb. date) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
THE INFLUENTIAL CRIME SERIES THAT REVOLUTIONIZED THE TELEVISION DRAMA AND LAUNCHED A WORLDWIDE CULTURAL PHENOMENON OF FASHION, ARCHITECTURE AND MUSIC

MIAMI VICE

SEASON ONE ARRIVES ON DVD FEBRUARY 8, 2005
FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

The First Television Series to Integrate Contemporary Music Into Its Soundtrack, the DVD Features the Unforgettable Music of Phil Collins, U2, Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and More

Universal City, CA, January 10, 2005 - Miami Vice, the stylish and groundbreaking crime series that launched a worldwide cultural phenomenon of fashion, architecture and music, is coming to DVD for the first time ever on February 8, 2005. Boasting stunning production values, rapid-fire dialogue, intriguing characters and an innovative use of contemporary music unlike anything that came before it, Miami Vice single-handedly revolutionized the television crime drama. Starring Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas and Emmy(r)-winner Edward James Olmos, the three-disc Miami Vice: Season One DVD includes 22 episodes - all with original music remixed in 5.1 surround sound - plus loads of bonus materials. Executive produced by the dream-team of triple-Oscar(r) nominee Michael Mann (The Insider, Collateral) and Emmy(r) Award-winning producer Dick Wolf (Law & Order), the show remains one of the best-loved series of all time. The DVD is priced to own at $59.98.

STYLE, STARS & SONGS
The first television drama to regularly incorporate cutting-edge pop music into its soundtrack, Miami Vice: Season One features original music by Phil Collins, U2, Elvis Presley, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, Tina Turner, The Police, Glenn Frey and other pop superstars, all re-mixed in crystal clear 5.1 surround sound. Additionally, the show's infectious electronic theme song, composed by keyboardist Jan Hammer, spent 11 weeks at No. 1 on the pop charts.
In addition to its trademark heart-pounding action, glamorous settings and hip fashions, the first season of Miami Vice also boasted memorable guest performances by the likes of Bruce Willis, Ving Rhames, Jimmy Smits, Ed O'Neill, John Turturro, Pam Grier, Dennis Farina and Eagles' singer Glenn Frey.

BONUS FEATURES
The Miami Vice: Season One DVD is loaded with bonus features that take fans inside the action, style and music of one of television's most unforgettable shows:

* The Vibe of Vice-Discover how Miami Vice forever changed the face of television
* Building the Perfect Vice-From development to primetime: Behind the scenes of Miami Vice
* The Style of Vice-How Miami Vice's trend setting fashions gave the series its signature look and influenced pop culture
* The Music of Vice-How the music of Miami Vice transformed television storytelling, attracting music's biggest stars to the series
* Miami After Vice-From the 1980's to the present, how the city of Miami has evolved
Synopsis

The cops. The cars. The clothes. From executive producer Michael Mann (Heat, Collateral) comes the first season of the explosive, groundbreaking detective show that redefined the word "cool." Set against the seamy and steamy Miami underworld, ride shotgun with suave Vice cops Sonny Crockett (Golden Globe(r)-winner Don Johnson) and Rico Tubbs (Philip Michael Thomas) as they battle a never-ending gallery of criminals, drug dealers and lowlifes. Set to Jan Hammer's electrifying score and featuring a soundtrack of rock legends, including Glenn Frey, Phil Collins, U2 and Peter Gabriel, every episode crackles with excitement and stylish flair. Also starring Emmy(r) and Golden Globe(r)-winner Edward James Olmos and a powerhouse roster of guest stars including Ving Rhames, Jimmy Smits and Bruce Willis. See why Time magazine called Miami Vice "TV's hottest and hippest cop show."

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

DVD

Street Date: February 8, 2005
Rating: Not Rated
Suggested Retail Price: $59.98
DVD Selection Number: 227169
Running Time: Disc 1: 5 hours 42 Minutes; Disc 2: 6 Hours 30 Minutes; Disc 3: 6 Hours 13 Minutes
Discs: 3
Number of Layers: Dual (Double Sided)
Aspect Ratio: Full Frame 1.33:1

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I was all set to buy this, but now I think with the rash of season 2 DVD's NOT having original music, I think I will wait until season 2 comes out to make sure they don't mess up the series.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I actually sought out the Phil Collins CD that contained the song "Long Long Way To Go" played at the end of "Sons and Lovers" (season 2 finale) because of that episode. It was so dramatic and fit the mood of the scene so well, it would be a shame if it were replaced (just like the season 2 finales of two other Universal TV show DVDs).

Sean R.

Auditioning
Much agreement w/ above posters who note specific examples/scenes involving music in "Vice". That being said, here's a novel idea...

Universal could easily set up a web poll, or selection or feedback site of some type that lets fans VOTE for the songs that absolutely MUST be included in the dvd releases, say a "top 25" list or something similar. That way, if there's some ceiling that Universal won't go above in terms of licensing costs, they can at least try to please the fans by not tampering with the most important or best-loved moments from the show. Ex: I think a song like Godley & Creme's "Cry" from Season 2's "Definitely Miami", which sets the tone and dramatic underpinnings of that episode's end sequence, is much more important to keep than, say, a U2 song played as background in a nightclub scene.

Naturally, the results from a poll like this would be subjective, but it's something to consider... other than just simply including ALL the original tunes.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I just read the first review of Miami Vice Season One at the DVD Talk site. Unfortunately, it says that the video quality isn't so great which is a disappointment.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
As long as the episodes are uncut and have the original music. I can deal with the picture quality. Not that I wouldn't want them to try to improve it. But, after watching the Spike airings...I am sure its better.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ooh, Spike is showing Vice? Gotta check that out.

When there's nothing else on. . .there's usually something entertaining on Spike. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Aaron, it was last year that it aired on Spike. I recorded them. But, it will be nice not to have that stupid animated Spike TV station bug in the corner. :angry:

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that review doesn't mention if all the original music is intact. Oops!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Pavan, thanks for the link. This reviewer loved it. Like I said earlier as long as the music is intact, the shows unedited and that video and audio is good. I am happy.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
All skees53 (SitcomsOnline.com) got was the press release! No fair! For Greatest American Hero, Todd (site owner) got a cape, lol. I think for Hunter Todd got a Hunter coffee mug, some donettes, and some other stuff.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The packaging also sucks. It's a typical DigiPak with only a flimsy cardboard sleeve that is open at the top and bottom.

Universal: why not use the more durable "box" case that you've been using for most other series? These cheap "sleeve" covers are not acceptable for $60 multi-disc sets. Even your "budget-priced" releases (monster classics, Abbott & Costello, franchise collections, etc.) get better packaging. Why skimp on your classic TV sets?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks