1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM/Warner October Horror; Midnite Movies, Val Lewton, Demon Seed and more

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Art_AD, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Well-Known Member

Agreed, Mattias. I remain convinced that these DVDs were a rare disappointment from Warner (sorry, WB). Just because the Val Lewton films themselves are dark and shadowy doesn't mean that it isn't also possible that the DVD transfers themselves can't be overly dark like any other shoddy rendition of any other black and white film. Still, the main offender for me was THE BODY SNATCHER. The main problem I had with I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE was that it was riddled with stains and scratches. And there were already better prints which people have seen of that title.

Since I last wrote about THE BODY SNATCHER being far too dark and murky, I had attended a Boris Karloff festival in Manhattan back in February 2006. They were playing THE BODY SNATCHER on the big screen and sure enough, it looked much better than the Warner DVD does, with better contrast and a tad brighter and not at all as dingy and dark as the Lewton Collection. The theater's print was beautiful, and better matched most copies of the film I've seen throughout my life, prior to the WB set's

2. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Well-Known Member

So what LD of Body Snatchers are also better?

3. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Well-Known Member

Just noticed on Amazon, Martin Scorsese produced documentary about Val Lewton is being released on January 8 by itself. It's listed as "Martin Scorsese Presents: Val Lewton"

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike Well-Known Member

Also looks like that Scorsese documentary is being packed in to a new collection.

http://www.amazon.com/Val-Lewton-Col...1908497&sr=8-9

Any idea if there's gonna be any changes made other than the addition of the documentary? (Saw both the docu and new collection on the DVDBeaver main page)

5. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick

I will be 100%, absolutely and irrevocably pissed if this Scocese doc isn't released independently. No one should have to re-buy an entire box set for one added feature, however good it might be.

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John

They are releasing it; see here.