What's new

MGM: THE PAN & SCAM OUTRAGE CONTINUES!..I COULD GO ON SINGING Foolscreen ONLY! (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Good work, Joe! If you talk to them again, ask them about "Follow That Dream" and the 1965 Patty Duke film "Billie." I can confirm that both of them are slated to be released pan-n-scan, and both were widescreen in the theaters.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David VP, the "Women of Wal-Mart" is a Playboy release. Though ladies that good looking never seem to be working at MY local Wal-Mart! ;)

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Well good lord, if they've really looked at the OAR and decided to release it properly after all that's fantastic news. Congrats MGM!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
god I HOPE that some of the others get WS too. The Elvis movies in particular...

Good news regarding those that do emerge OAR. They better be 16x9!

dave :D

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Well, let's hear it for Joe! He comes through once again. Thanks Joe for taking the time to contact MGM and explain the need for widescreen. Good work!

Michael_DC

Auditioning
amen to all the praise to Joe. Howdja do it? Just a simple phone call calmly explaining why they should change course?
To the person who posted the picture of the ICGOS box--thanks!
Mike

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

Well, I don't like P&S but I CAN buy Open matte. I think that open matte should not be comparde to P&S. Just my 0.02$

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Not getting into a debate about the issue of P/S vs Open-Matte (whether your loosing or gaining picture)...

Since I won't buy a non-anamorphic WS DVD, neither will I buy an open-matte title from any major studio who should "know better" and has the resources to do it right.

Why sacrifice 33% of my potential resolution? Open matte forces that compromise just like a 4x3 lbxed transfer.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
So I guess that the Elvis disc, "Follow That Dream" will still be full screen then? That really bites if so as all other Elvis titles up to this have been OAR.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Either way, it's a MAR presentation. The only acceptable presentation is the theatrical OAR.

Non-OAR = No Sale

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
http://www.mgm.com/dvd_faqs.do

However, if you're contacting them specifically to "request" a certain title be released onto DVD, don't expect any answer from MGM.

Today I used that e-mail form to ask for a re-confirmation of the ICGOS title in WS, and asked further if it will be in Anamorphic Widescreen....and this text appears after you've sent a mail to them.........

>> "Your email has been sent to MGM Online. Your comments and suggestions are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately due to the high volume of e-mails received we can not respond to each and every request. If you are suggesting a title for release on either VHS or DVD, we thank you for your suggestion and will take it into consideration, but are unable to reply to your email."

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Great news about them holding back the release. I've been waiting for Man of LaMancha. I don't mind waiting a little longer to get it done right.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I want to clear up some of thwe facts here.
Over at another site (Haineshisway) run by Mr. Kimmel, who for some reason, has been knocked off this site, has been fuming about us over here.
He also claimes that the two releases were Never going to be full screen and it was all made up, or acted on too quickly and people have been conratulating me for changing mgms mind for no reason.
I called mgm to see if the full screen was true or a mistake.
they told me it was listed as full screen, but they had to look it up. THey seemed surprised, as if no one had told them.
A day later, I was told they had decided to do letterbox.
All I did was point out tothem the negative comments on the net on this site and several Judy Garland sites. I think THAT is waht comvinced them to do letterbox.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Read the report over at Kimmel's site. Just looking over his site confirms what his posts hinted at...he's got an ego roughly the size of New England despite his quite limited resume in the film community.

If I were to ponder why he no longer posts here, it's likely because people got sick of his trolling. He'd be totally aghast at our outrage over studios putting films we cared about out in fullscreen only, so long as they took care of the films HE cared about. It got to the point where it was pretty aggravating, and while I held my tongue, despite wanting to fire off a complaint to "childish" (his words) Ron, it looks like others were not as patient.

Anyways, whether Joe is using this to gain false accolades, or Kimmel is using this to further stroke his oversized ego, congrats are in order for MGM for making this decision, even if they always did intend for it to be OAR.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I just wanted to add my own note of frustration (with a tinge of disgust) towards MGM for deciding to release "Mad Dog Time" this March in full screen only.

MDT is a huge favorite of mine, and this decision is very disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks