1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM -- quietly downgrading special editions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua_W, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Well-Known Member

From DavisDVD...

It looks like MGM is quietly stripping features from the "Special Edition" DVDs when they receive price reductions.

Titles listed include: Bowling for Columbine, Bull Durham, Jeepers Creepers, Legally Blonde, The Sure Thing, Thelma and Lousie, and Valley Girl.

Be warned that they're removing special features but keeping the UPC code intact, so if you order one of these special editions online, you may get the stripped version instead.

But they're keeping the pan and scan versions on the DVDs when both were included.

[​IMG] to MGM.

2. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

Yeah, what an inane and evil and abysimally mind-boggling practice.

3. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

It sounds just like Columbia, but with removing special features instead of the Widescreen side like Columbia does. Now I am really worried that CTHE will get the MGM library since they both seem to have similar business models.

4. Kristian

Kristian Well-Known Member

Has this already gone into effect? I really want to get Bowling for Columbine, but I don't want to miss out on the extras.

5. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Well-Known Member

Yes, a number of these new editions are on store shelves, often mixed in with the true special editions. I don't know when BFC's price cut takes effect, but I wouldn't expect the new versions of that one to hit the shelves until it takes effect. If you act quickly, you should probably be able to find all of these older SEs still on store shelves.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Wow, that's horrible. [​IMG]

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

Jeez, what's the point of this??? While it's not as bad as removing the actual movie (like Columbia), it still doesn't seem fair. Valley Girl's been out for less than a year fergawdsakes! (Will they at least reinstate the missing Men At Work song on the reissue?)
    Oh well, someone will be glad to sell illegal copies of the missing extras for those who still want them.
    They should at least mark them as "Limited Editions" if they're going to pull this crap a few months later.

8. Arnie G

Arnie G Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the crappiest stunts yet. [​IMG] No sale for me [​IMG]

9. Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say that MGM pulled this stunt on "It's A Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World" as well.
    HEY MGM! I would rather pay $14.99 for the special feature edition. I don't want your $9.99 bare-bones edition! Can you hear me?
    Bill Parisho

10. Joel C

Joel C Well-Known Member

But Valley Girl was already only $14.99, wasn't it?

11. John Alderson

John Alderson Well-Known Member

This is just so idiotic. Once they have the master, it actually would cost them money to remaster it to have a stripped down version, all to sell it cheaper.

Why why why? MGM is run by buffoons, it would seem.

12. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Well-Known Member

Valley Girl SE and The Sure Thing SE are part of this week's 3/$20 sale at Best Buy. I guess now (as in today) is the time to buy, if you want those editions. On a tangentially related note, Best Buy also has many of the OAR discs (for $5.99) that Wal-Mart now carries only in MAR.

13. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Well-Known Member

Do the stripped-down versions have fewer discs than the originals? If not, then I also don't see how this saves them any money.

14. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Well-Known Member

first FOX
    then COLUMBIA
    now MGM

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Well-Known Member

The stripped down versions are one-sided versions of things that were originally two-sided. I doubt they're paying royalties on the special features, so this is just a manufacturing savings. Anyone know the difference in cost between printing a DVD-9 and a DVD-14? I'm guessing it's well under a dollar.

16. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Well-Known Member

Christian Preischl
    I ordered this a few weeks ago from DVD Pacific, and it was still a special edition. The only confusing thing was that for some reason the ROM extras were missing (Teacher's Guide and Mike's Action Guide).

Chris

17. JackKay

JackKay Well-Known Member

I thought that this breakdown from Daily Variety (12/24/03) would be of interest:

Homevid Economics 2002

VHS
    Average wholesale price $12
    Costs:
    Marketing $2.75
    Duplication $2.25
    Packaging $0.75
    Distribution $0.90

Total $6.65

Video Gross
    Profit/Unit $5.35

DVD
    Average wholesale price $16
    Costs:
    Marketing $2.75
    Duplication $1.00
    Packaging $0.90
    Distribution $0.80

Total $5.45

DVD Gross
    Profit/Unit $10.55

Source: Jessica Reif Cohen, Merril Lynch

Now, seeing that this is from a late last year Variety these Averages were probably from the most recent statistics covering the 2002 year. I have a feeling by now profits have most likely improved.

18. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Well-Known Member

If this is going to happen to The Sure Thing, I recommend buying it now. It is one of my favourite movies and I love the special features. For the price I got it for, it's the best DVD purchase I ever made.

19. MikeHughes

MikeHughes Active Member

Sweet Jesus. Seems like I have to buy BfC now, before it's too late. [​IMG]

20. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Well-Known Member

What exactly is different about Bowling for Columbine's supposedly stripped down re-release vs. the original version?

I bought BfC during the $7.99 sale at Circuit City a week or so ago. Is this the messed with version? It still has two discs and says it's the special edition with widescreen transfer. Did I make it under the wire?

Dan