What's new

MGM: Please Release SEs of TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS! (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
MGM really needs to get on the ball and release the Hammer Classics TWINS OF EVIL, HANDS OF THE RIPPER and VAMPIRE CIRCUS on DVD. I see these are all airing uncut on the HD channel, Monsters HD, which means that they have already been transfered. They all carry the MGM logos. I don't have the channel, but a friend tells me the transfer on TWINS is quite stunning and looks better than any of the foreign DVD releases.

With so many Hammer films coming out this year, MGM needs to get on the ball. They could also do special editions as all the directors (John Hough, Peter Sasdy and Robert Young) are alive and well, and several have done commentaries before. Many of the main cast members of these films are alive as well.

I contacted MGM/Fox, and the gave me a contact. Her name is Julia Simmons, and the e-mail address if [email protected]. I urge anyone who wants these released (or any other classic horror that MGM is avoiding) to shoot her an e-mail. I sent her one, but have not gotten a response yet.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
But there is an edition in Germany, and - like many German releases - it doesn;t come with forced subtitles if you opt for the original English track.

It's usually only French releases that do that :angry:

As has been said Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper are available in the UK.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Yes, but I am talking about Region 1 releases with superior transfers. The new MGM transfers are reportedly better than the other region DVDs, and I don't like the PAL speed-up anyway, I'm can't be alone in wanting these for Region 1!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I got tired of waiting and bought the region 4 (Australia) box-set of these three titles. Nice widescreen, uncut transfers of Hammer's strongest and most explicit films. I recommend it.

If a region 1 set or individual releases ever come out, I'll buy them in an instant. It does not seem too likely, however, in view of the content. Vampire Circus has some adult nudity while a child is there; probably only in the way it's cut together, but it's sufficient to make any USA distributor uncomfortable in these confused times. Likewise Twins of Evil has its share of problems. These films would be better entrusted to a botique label like Anchor Bay, Synapse, Blue Underground, etc.

The consumer's interest in Hammer Films has never been more enthusiastic, and there is certainly money to be made from Vampire Circus, Twins of Evil, and Hands of the Ripper.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
MGM also needs to release The Quatermass Experiment as well. It's had an HD transfer made, according to Glenn Erickson.

The four films together would make a terrific boxset.

Does MGM have the rights to any other Hammers?

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I doubt there will be such an issue with Vampire Circus

Twins is just chock a block with adult sexual antics! Can imagine any problems there!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
...And while we're at it, how about BURN WITCH BURN and BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW? These are all awaited by an enormous fan base. C'mon, MGM, let's give the customers what they want!

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

Burn Witch Burn is on UK DVD as Night of the Eagle

Satan's Claw is on UK DVD but non-anamorphic

Does MGM in the US have the rights to Hammer's She? Both UK DVDs are lacking

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Oh Hell Yeah! I'd love to get R1 releases of Twins of Evil, Hands of the Ripper, Vampire Circus, Quatermass Xperiment, Night of the Eagle and Blood on Satan's Claw.

Midnite Movies, boxed set, whatever, just release the damn things already.

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
E-mail sent. Let's hope this works!

Wouldn't hurt to ask about Hospital Massacre, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, or To All A Goodnight either!

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Has anyone who wrote an e-mail to Julia Simmons got a reply yet? I haven't but I don't expect to. I just hope they get the hint and get the ball rolling on long awaited titles again.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Judging from MGM's cover for their LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT COLLECTOR'S EDITION, the only way we might get something like TWINS OF EVIL is if they market it like this:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I read the title of this thread as "press release" instead of please release and was super excited... bummer.

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
Yeah, the new Last House cover art makes it look more like a slasher film or giallo. I kind of like it, but definitely not for Last House on the Left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks