What's new

MGM-- Please Release African Queen (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My understanding is that you (Fox) control this title. Please release it in the near future. There are plenty of fans of this film that brings AFI's top actor together with the top actress of the 20th century (Bogart/Hepburn). If there are restoration issues or license issues please advise. Thanks.
Joel

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the request.
------------------
"That audience - 12 to 19 year old pimply faced, mean spirited males - came, watched and went on to whatever god-awful other pursuits" USA Network CEO describing professional wrestling fans

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joel,
As stated in your other thread "The African Queen" video rights now belongs to MGM not Fox!
Crawdaddy

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I'll certainly join those wanting to buy The African Queen. But please, MGM, do it right. This is too great a classic not to get preferred treatment.
Deane

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Given what MGM is doing to Mad World, they'll probably release the African Queen, but excise those boring parts about the boat.
frown.gif

------------------
"That audience - 12 to 19 year old pimply faced, mean spirited males - came, watched and went on to whatever god-awful other pursuits" USA Network CEO describing professional wrestling fans

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'd buy a copy, too. Where the heck is it?
------------------
Rain

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Matthew,
As has been posted several times in the forum, even in just the last week, Fox indicated that they no longer have this title. Thanks for watching MGM's back, though. :) Oh and while I'm here...I would buy a new release of it in a second if it were announced.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
MGM, please get Mr. Harris to restore it. At least he's somebody who knows what he's doing.
I hope to God, you do.
Dan

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My apologies for the mix-up and a redirected request to MGM.
Now that MGM is the culprit do we still hold hope for 2001 or 2002? My understanding is that MGM is releasing as much as they have as fast as is possible.
Back to the possible need for restoration. Could this be the reason for no word?
MGM -- please give us an update or a reason for witholding this title. Curious minds want to KNOW!
Joel

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
The African Queen is the stuff of Hollywood Legend. It was shot on location in an exotic locale, the Belgian Congo, was directed by a brilliant, eccentric, director's director, John Huston, and features two of the biggest stars and best actors ever to appear on film, Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. It's, well, to borrow a line from another of Bogie's films, the stuff dreams are made of . . .
The African Queen is such a significant film it demands a full restoration. Money should not be an object. This film is a national treasure. Whoever owns the rights to The African Queen needs to do the right thing.
------------------
"When you call me that, smile!"
My DVD Collection

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm not too sure that "The African Queen" needs a Video Restoration.
I have the Laserdisc box set and the picture quality is excellent. One of the best examples of IB Technicolor I have seen on Video.
The Problem with a full restoration seems to rest with who has the rights.
It is a title that has been kicked around all over the place.
For those that really want it, and can run Pal DVDs, you might like to know that a new Region 2 DVD is being released in England on July 16.
I have never heard of the company releasing it, so quality wise, who knows?
------------------

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Quote:
"The African Queen is the stuff of Hollywood Legend. It was shot on location in an exotic locale, the Belgian Congo, was directed by a brilliant, eccentric, director's director, John Huston, and features two of the biggest stars and best actors ever to appear on film, Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. It's, well, to borrow a line from another of Bogie's films, the stuff dreams are made of . . ."
All true, but let us not forget the immeasurable contribution of Mr. Jack Cardiff's photography.
------------------
Rain

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Back to the original question. Has anyone heard from the studio (or rumored) about a possible release in 2001/2002?
Joel

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I'd love to have this film. Any chance that we could get a special boxed set edition with the books from the laser disc box set??
--adrian

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
R2 is getting a African Queen DVD in July. Supposed to have a Jack Cardiff commentary.
------------------
Dear MGM : Quality over quantity & Consistency!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
This has been on AMC all day today ( I am pretty sure the 4:3 ratio is OAR). It looked *OK* at best. This is insane that this isn't on DVD. Come on MGM! Release it already! You can even release it to fit the TV and we won't complain! (becasue that is its OAR--I think--can anyone confirm? Where do you look on IMDB for this info? I looked at LD details and it said it as in academy ratio).
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The Video rights to "The African Queen" belong to a company called Carlton Video. They are UK Based.
They have just released a very nice looking DVD in Pal Region 2. It has a splendid Commentary and Trailer.
I suggest you contact them in regards to any region 1 release plans.
I believe the OAR was 1.33:1 Academy Standard.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks