What's new

MGM Musicals - Video Quality on Different Versions ? (1 Viewer)

stevenHa

Second Unit
Is there a difference in video quality between MGM's Showboat in a stand alone case as opposed to the one included in TCM's Greatest Classic Films Collection: Broadway Musicals ? How about for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Kiss me Kate, An American in Paris, etc.... ?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For Show Boat, I'm guessing (emphasis on that word) that there is no difference since we've only gotten one transfer so far for this film though the design of its keep case has been altered through the years. As for Seven Brides and the others, there were at least two different transfers for Seven Brides on DVD (one anamorphic, one not), and since I don't have that TCM release, I'm not sure which one Warners used in making up the contents of that set.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
MattH. said:
there were at least two different transfers for Seven Brides on DVD (one anamorphic, one not), and since I don't have that TCM release, I'm not sure which one Warners used in making up the contents of that set.
The TCM collection uses the anamorphic transfer.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i learned from the 'dvd beaver' website that 'kiss me kate' had some framing issues in it's earlier dvd release that were later corrected. that corrected version is in the tcm collection. the images in this later version are less cropped, with the colors more muted, but very pleasing. the coloring of the images in the earlier transfer really popped though! i'm thinking in particular of ann miller's 'too darn hot' hot pink-mauve- purplely dance costume i have both dvd editions and like the subtle color variations of the transfers.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would have liked Kiss Me Kate even more if the framing had been 1.75:1 like one of the laserdisc releases was.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
The color difference was related to contrast more than saturation. As the corrected transfer had lower contrast, revealing more shadow detail, the color saturation was ever so slightly less. I made the comparison below years and years ago to show the differences between the two transfers. Photobucket downscaled it, but here it is anyway.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks for that info, Chuck. (Just ran to check my copy, expecting to find the earlier one in the old snapper case, but it's the corrected one. Yay!!)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for those side-by-side comparisons, Chuck. It's easy to see how much picture information had been cropped. I do like the contrast in the original release, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks