What's new

MGM MOD: Fox Bows On Demand MGM Movies for Retailers (1 Viewer)

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Problem is, they create HD masters for these films and some of them are getting blu-ray releases from other studios licensed from MGM - from recent announcements, Scream Factory/Shout! Factory is releasing Sonny Boy and Kino Lorber announced Miracle Beach for April. I'd rather support these studios and wait and see if they announce other titles from this lineup than purchase MGM's made-on-demand discs that gets HD upgrade right after I purchase it.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
JoHud said:
And the most prized obscurities of all: their Monogram holdings.

Boy, it's hard keeping track of who owns what titles in what library. Reportedly, Monogram's 1936-1946 titles were sold in 1954 to Associated Artists Productions, which itself was sold in 1958 to UA. Of course UA merged in 1981 with MGM and we know the many corporate asset flippings between MGM's Kerk Kerkorian and Ted Turner, etc. etc. So my understanding is that, today, Turner owns the pre-May 1986 MGM titles, and MGM retains the post-May 1986 MGM titles and "all" the UA titles, such as those things go (rights issues being what they are). Post-1946 Monogram titles of course evolved into the Allied Artists library which of course now is owned by Warner Bros., and Warner Archive is the home vid source for classic MGM titles.

Whew.

All that said, here are UA titles (if indeed held in the MGM library) that I'd like to see from the MGM Limited Edition Collection -- that, while some are available for streaming, have yet to receive an official domestic or overseas DVD release that I'm aware of:

Danger Route ('67), Matchless ('67), Ladybug Ladybug ('63), Third of a Man ('62), Flight That Disappeared ('61), When the Clock Strikes ('61), Dead to the World ('61), The Pusher ('60), Transatlantic ('60), The Lost Missile ('58), Wink of an Eye ('58), The Flame Barrier ('58), Man on the Prowl ('57; recently released on a muddy Alpha Video print; would be nice to see a better copy); Hidden Fear ('57), 5 Steps to Danger ('57), The Long Wait ('54), The Diamond Wizard ('54), Dragon's Gold ('54) -- and of course I, The Jury ('53) and Bwana Devil ('52) -- preferably both in 3D! (I know... keep dreamin' ...)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Camps said:
Boy, it's hard keeping track of who owns what titles in what library. Reportedly, Monogram's 1936-1946 titles were sold in 1954 to Associated Artists Productions, which itself was sold in 1958 to UA. Of course UA merged in 1981 with MGM and we know the many corporate asset flippings between MGM's Kerk Kerkorian and Ted Turner, etc. etc. So my understanding is that, today, Turner owns the pre-May 1986 MGM titles, and MGM retains the post-May 1986 MGM titles and "all" the UA titles, such as those things go (rights issues being what they are). Post-1946 Monogram titles of course evolved into the Allied Artists library which of course now is owned by Warner Bros., and Warner Archive is the home vid source for classic MGM titles.

Whew.

All that said, here are UA titles (if indeed held in the MGM library) that I'd like to see from the MGM Limited Edition Collection -- that, while some are available for streaming, have yet to receive an official domestic or overseas DVD release that I'm aware of:

Danger Route ('67), Matchless ('67), Ladybug Ladybug ('63), Third of a Man ('62), Flight That Disappeared ('61), When the Clock Strikes ('61), Dead to the World ('61), The Pusher ('60), Transatlantic ('60), The Lost Missile ('58), Wink of an Eye ('58), The Flame Barrier ('58), Man on the Prowl ('57; recently released on a muddy Alpha Video print; would be nice to see a better copy); Hidden Fear ('57), 5 Steps to Danger ('57), The Long Wait ('54), The Diamond Wizard ('54), Dragon's Gold ('54) -- and of course I, The Jury ('53) and Bwana Devil ('52) -- preferably both in 3D! (I know... keep dreamin' ...)

So, who owns Mr. Moses?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think it's in limbo. There are five Frank Ross Productions, of which MISTER MOSES is one, that were released by UA but has never seen the light of DVD. I going to assume the rights returned to the producer.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
February 16 titles -

51vfX2h5ovL._SY400_.jpg
51ojd+oIFFL._SY400_.jpg

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
So now we're down to two titles per month from the various MOD DVD programs. Depressing...

Jobla

Supporting Actor
REVOLT OF THE SLAVES is a pretty good sword-and-sandal flick. I saw it in 1962 on a double-bill with THE MINOTAUR, another United Artists peplum film that should be released on MOD as well.

I hope that the MOD release of SLAVES will be in proper widescreen.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
REVOLT OF THE SLAVES is a pretty good sword-and-sandal flick. I saw it in 1962 on a double-bill with THE MINOTAUR, another United Artists peplum film that should be released on MOD as well.

I hope that the MOD release of SLAVES will be in proper widescreen.

Well, yes. If it's not in anamorphic widescreen, I'll change my mind about buying it.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I should receive REVOLT OF THE SLAVES by the middle of next week, and I'll post about it here when I do.

There is a gorgeous Spanish PAL DVD of THE MINOTAUR which looks to have been mastered from the camera negative. However, it is not English friendly, no English audio or subtitles.

In 1962, I saw a theatrical triple-bill of REVOLT OF THE SLAVES, THE MINOTAUR, and THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I should receive REVOLT OF THE SLAVES by the middle of next week, and I'll post about it here when I do.

There is a gorgeous Spanish PAL DVD of THE MINOTAUR which looks to have been mastered from the camera negative. However, it is not English friendly, no English audio or subtitles.

In 1962, I saw a theatrical triple-bill of REVOLT OF THE SLAVES, THE MINOTAUR, and THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT.

Yes, please do give us your opinion of the Revolt Of The Slaves disc.

That Spanish DVD of The Minotaur: is Rosanna Schiaffino in that film?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Not only is Rosanna Schiaffino in THE MINOTAUR, she actually plays twins (one good girl, one evil queen). So, you get two Schiaffino performances for the price of one.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have the MGM Limited disc of THEREMIN, AN ELECTRONIC ODYSSSEY? Is it missing the Mickey Mouse Club segment about theremins, like previous home video transfers of the film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks