What's new

MGM Midnite Movies "dead again" remark (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Has anyone heard anything one way or another concerning the Midnite Movies series? Anything new coming? Has this series been scrapped before releasing many wanted titles?

Eric

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Looking at what MGM/Fox has announced for the MGM product coming up, we will have to wait two years. The big box set of 100 movie musicals has three in there that have never been released on DVD (Whoopee, Kid from Spain, and one I cannot remember), you would at least expect them to release them individually, but no they won’t. The Bonds are back in Blu-ray and they are supposed to be. They are working with Fox on a collection of films for Black History Month, but again these are repackaged titles. Except for their new releases, they concentrating on Blu-ray and coming up with these repackaged titles using the same old transfers.

I really would like anything AIP and some of the great UA 60’s & 70’s comedies, like Cold Turkey, For those Who Think Young, 8 on the Lam, Call Me Bawa, Fitzwilly, Buena Sera, Mrs. Campbell. Here We Go Around The Mulberry Bush, Some Kind Of A Nut, Gaily Gaily, Pussycat Pussycat I Love You, The Landlord, Fuzz and Happy Birthday Gemini.

Other missing in action DVD releases from the UA vault is Chilly Scenes In Winter (1979), Drum (1976), Huckleberry Finn (1974), Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1973) –Widescreen, The Music Lovers (1971), The Hawaiians (1970), Number One (1969), The First Time (1969), Five Miles To Midnight (1963), A Thousand Clowns (1965), The Group (1966), Mister Moses (1965), The Satan Bug (1965), The Best Man (1964), The Caretakers (1963), and Phaedra (1962)

Also MGM needs to go back and re-master many titles to include anamorphic widescreen. Some of the titles are Exodus, Hair, The Hallelujah Trail, A Hole In The Head, Life-force, How to Succeed In Business Without really trying, On The Beach, Witness for the Prosecution, A Small Circle of Friends, The Train, Alice’s Restaurant and many many more.

I was happy the first couple of years of the agreement in that the marriage would work, now I am disappointed. Thank you letting me get on a wooden crate and speak my mind.

Charles H

Screenwriter
KID MILLIONS is the other Goldwyn musical title. It was abruptly cancelled a week before the release date (box art and everything) a couple of years ago.

Other MIAs include: SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL, RETURN TO PARADISE, A CHILD IS WAITING, THE NAKED EDGE, PARIS BLUES, WITNESS TO MURDER. THE KILLER IS LOOSE (Boetticher), LAST EMBRACE, THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY, NIGHT FIGHTERS, TEN SECONDS TO HELL, TWO FOR THE SEESAW, THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE, THE GALLANT HOURS, TOYS IN THE ATTIC, RED PLANET MARS, THE HONEY POT, PAPER LION, HAPPY ENDING, NOT AS A STRANGER, JOHNNY CONCHO, RETURN FROM THE ASHES, THE OFFENCE, THE OUTSIDE MAN, HORNET'S NEST, BY LOVE POSSESSED, THE GLORY GUYS, THAT MAN FROM RIO, RUN FOR THE SUN, FLIGHT FROM AYISHA, ROSEBUD, STOLEN HOURS.

Still (i.e., forever) waiting for THE DAVID LEAN COLLECTION and THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: SE>

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This isn't a Midnite Movie but Runaway Train is the one that needs the most attention being that it exists as a pathetic-looking letterboxed DVD devoid of anything resembling extras. Great movie. Awful DVD. Why? I know Warner now owns a chunk of the MGM catalog pre-1986 and I hope this film is one of them. Warner would give it the respect it deserves. Also, the Scanners remake coming next year should mean an automatic re-issue of the original film as a special edition. An ideal scenario would be for MGM to release a boxset of the sequels like they did with the Amityville films. I love the way these people need an excuse, like a remake, to re-do DVDs and make us buy the same movies over and over

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I hope Fox lets MGM (or however that agreement works) to release more older library titles. I'd like to see all of the stuff being mentioned here come out, and I am especially interested in the AIP in UA titles. If the Midnite Movies ever continue, why not an off season (non Halloween time) batch of cult titles like RIOT ON SUNSET STRIP, THE DEVIL'S ANGELS, ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO, THE SAVAGE SEVEN etc?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

I should have been more clear. My intention was to point out that it would not be a part of the pre-86 WB controlled titles.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

Not all. Masters of the Universe and Bloodsport are Warner DVDs.

Midnite Movies wise, I really want The Black Sleep and Pharoh's Curse

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I suspect only MGM insiders would know - and given the company seems to be having a large up-shuffle, it may be some time before anyone can answer your question.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Me too!

And another Bel-Air Prod. I'd like to see released is "Big House, U.S.A."

Are you sure that these are distributed by M-G-M though?

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I'm not sure to be honest. I think MGM got them because UA was the original distributor, but i could be mistaken

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This all goes back to the economy plus the lack of retail space. MGM will have another deal tied in with Best Buy, which they couldn't do last year because of Universal and this year there was a deal with Warner. I'm sure BB doesn't want three studio exclusives in one economy torn season.

I'm sure many here remember the first time this line started. How many times have we gone from them releasing nothing to releasing twenty then back to zero and then back up high?

MGM has always done stuff backwards. They had a Bronson line that had anamorphic transfers for smaller titles yet when it came time for the highly wanted DEATH WISH sequels they delivered them cut and full screen. They then cut the series off with several more out there needing to be released.

They do have LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT coming next year with special features from the R2 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks