What's new

MGM Lean & Hitchcock Releases (3 Viewers)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Of course, Patrick, it may be true, but if you check the copyright credit on the back of the ROPE DVD, you'll find UA still owns the copyright. But yes, the Hitchcock estate does own the underlying rights to ROPE today.

Corey

Screenwriter

I was just thinking the same thing. I just bought the Warner and Universal sets and it would be great to own the ABC titles all in one set. Notorious and Rebecca are out of print when they shouldn't be.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
the unavailability of Spellbound, Notorious, and Rebecca is truly insane

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I happily own the Criterion releases and both big sets (Masterpiece and Signature). But far from a complete Hitch collection...

Charles H

Screenwriter
I notice that David Lean's MADELINE (1950) is being shown on TCM in March. It is a very rare film. It's been more than half a century since I saw it on tv, and it was one of the titles mentioned in the Lean boxset. This does establish that MGM/UA/Columbia/Fox/Goldwyn/Tom Cruise does own the rights. I might add that the Hitchcock collection coming out from Lion's Gate lin February looks quite promising with a deal from Studio Canal involving remastered prints and perks. (It is apparently the first in a series of boxsets to be followed by Brigitte Bardot and Godard).

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I have the Criterion set, but I'd love to finally be able to get The Paradine Case. That's the only American movie I'm missing. I only have about 50% of the pre-American material though. Hopefully someday someone will do justice to that material in R1.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
i own every hitchcock title available on dvd including Paradine Case and Champagne. I love the criterions, but I would love to see these titles get a revamp with some new commentaries and documentaries. I assume there must be some legal wrangling to be worked out between ABC/MGM or I would assume criterion would have already liscenced the titles again and put them back in print.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
It really is too bad that a good portion of Hitch's output is available it utter crap editions. At least in R1. Having The Signature Collection and The Masterpiece Collection, along with Fox's Lifeboat, Paramount's To Catch a Thief, and Criterion's discs (excluding The Lady Vanishes, which needs reissuing), you still only account for 29 out of the master's 52 extant feature films (which is only 56%). The remaining 23 do not currently have even okay editions in R1.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Where did you find CHAMPAGNE? There have been a few of his that have never officially been released on VHS or DVD that I've been looking for and that is one of them.

The other MIA ones are THE PLEASURE GARDEN, THE MOUNTAIN EAGLE, DOWNHILL, ELSTREE CALLING and WALTZES FROM VIENNA.

Jay*W

Second Unit

Sadly, THE MOUNTAIN EAGLE is a lost film and has been since about 10 years after its original release.

Jay

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Wow. I had forgotten about this thread. I wonder if anybody has heard anything about the David Lean Collection?

CameronMcC

Second Unit
Champagne is only available on Brentwoods Essential Alfred Hitchcock Collection http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../dvdaficionado the video quality is on level with vhs at best with some tracking effects that pop up every so often. As Jay*W stated The mountain Eagle is lost. The other films you mentioned were screened a few years back by the AFI but have not been made available for mass consumption.

Turner Classics Movies was supposed to air a restored version of Champagne, but it apparently had no soundtrack when it arrived. Supposedly a new soundtrack had been recorded, but nothing has surfaced. They aired Manxman in its place. I had hoped that Warner would do a Hitchcock silents disc, but it didn't come about with his signature set, so I fear it will never see the light of day.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was in Best Buy today, using a gift card, and I found a copy of CHAMPAGNE. It was on a 3 dvd, early Hitchcock films set, for $6.99 from something called St Clair Home Video. Haven't watched it yet, but thanks for letting me know it was out there. I had given up looking for it, after looking for years for it, in the pre-DVD days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks