What's new

MGM classic films get video-on-demand release (1 Viewer)

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
I have several of the these titles on my wish list at Amazon and today the listing for Jeremiah Season 2 says "this title is no longer available". Does anybody know what the deal is? Are these titles going to start disappearing?

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I purchased three of these DVD-R's:

1] TRAPEZE. The worst-looking of the three. Faded color, a bit soft, a lot of dirt on the print. Still, of course, it is most likely the only way I'll be able to own this aside from a TCM copy or something. It's watchable. Ananmorphic 2.35:1, mono.

2] BETWEEN THE LINES. Cool flick, one I never thought I'd see on DVD. Not a bad transfer. Good color saturation, sharp enough. Sound is fine. Anamorphic 1.85:1, mono.

3] DREAMCHILD. The best of the lot. Could have been a pressed DVD. Nice color, sharp, good contrast. Sounds like 2.0 stereo. Anamorphic 1.85:1.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick,

Thanks for your comments because I wanted to buy Trapeze, but was afraid it would be non-anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

Real Name
Stephen Altobello
I'm a late-comer to this thread, but as I've yet to see any mention of 1975's HEARTS OF THE WEST, I take it that's not a good sign. I hope Jeff Bridges wins the Oscar for a lot of reasons, and one of them is that it might make someone release this film on DVD. It's a gem, and according to the old VHS I have, it's MGM. Does anyone know otherwise?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this one on this forum before. In fact, the film is actually controlled by Warner now because it's a pre-1986 MGM title. You can be fairly confident that it will show up in the Warner Archive at some point. Regardless, I would love to see it as well.

EDIT: Now, looking at the poster over at Moviegoods, it also has a UA logo on it, in addition to the MGM one. If this is still a UA title, than it is controlled by MGM after all. Marc Heuck usually knows the score when it comes to movie ownership. Maybe he'll see this and chime in...

Originally Posted by StephenAlto

I'm a late-comer to this thread, but as I've yet to see any mention of 1975's HEARTS OF THE WEST, I take it that's not a good sign. I hope Jeff Bridges wins the Oscar for a lot of reasons, and one of them is that it might make someone release this film on DVD. It's a gem, and according to the old VHS I have, it's MGM. Does anyone know otherwise?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this one on this forum before. In fact, the film is actually controlled by Warner now because it's a pre-1986 MGM title. You can be fairly confident that it will show up in the Warner Archive at some point. Regardless, I would love to see it as well.

EDIT: Now, looking at the poster over at Moviegoods, it also has a UA logo on it, in addition to the MGM one. If this is still a UA title, than it is controlled by MGM after all. Marc Heuck usually knows the score when it comes to movie ownership. Maybe he'll see this and chime in...

It was an MGM title that should be controlled by Warner's now. MGM closed it's distribution and sales department in 1973 and was releasing all it's titles through UA. That is where the UA logo comes in on the one-sheet. MGM had UA handle all of their titles until MGM bought UA in 1981. That was out of necessity since UA was on the verge of bankruptcy due to HEAVEN'S GATE cost overruns. What a wicked web they weave.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
27 more titles are available for pre-order on Amazon. Here's the article and press release. List of titles:
The Best Man (1964) The Caretakers (1963) Cold Turkey (1971) Eight On The Lam (1967) Fitzwilly (1967) The Gallant Hours (1960) Garbo Talks (1984) The Glory Guys (1965) The Honey Pot (1967) House Of The Long Shadows (1984) Hurricane Streets (1998) Inherit The Wind (1999) Jack Lemmon, George C. Scott The Landlord (1970) Man Of Iron (1981) The Offence (1973) The Tenth Man (1988) Toys In The Attic (1963) The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan (1979) Valentino (1977) Vanishing Fiancée (1978) The Whisperers (1967) The White Buffalo (1977) Wicked Stepmother (1989)
Television Series “Flipper” Season 2 (1964) “Flipper - The New Adventures” Season 1 (1995) “Highway Patrol” Season 1 (1955) “Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot” Complete Series (1969)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
They have an official page on Amazon now: http://www.amazon.com/mgmcollection

Glad to see THE OFFENCE. Still waiting on ROBBERY (1967), A CHILD IS WAITING (1963), NOT AS A STRANGER (1955), and 12 ANGRY MEN (1997) and I'll have everything I want.

Edit: Forgot THE VISITORS (1972).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Three "Holy Grails" for me in the line up. TOYS IN THE ATTIC, THE HONEY POT and THE CARETAKERS. Gotta get 'em at whatever the cost!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I already own Region 2 releases of The Honey Pot, The Best Man, The Offence, Valentino, and the Vanishing Fiancée so I am happy I got pressed discs of those.

I am very interested in The Landlord, Cold Turkey, Man of Iron & The Whisperers...but will wait for reviews before deciding on buying or not.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I agree and will wait for reviews this time. I feel I got burned on a couple the first go around. I am interested in THE BEST MAN, THE LANDLORD, THE GLORY GUYS, HOUSE OF LONG SHADOWS, TOYS IN THE ATTIC, and EIGHT ON THE LAM.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
In what way burned? And when did THE GREEN ROOM become THE VANISHING FIANCEE?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
A couple of the films were non-anamorphic. Widescreen - yes, anamorphic - no (Two on a Seesaw, The Group). Before I purchase any film that was not filmed 1.33:1, I will wait to see what the good people on the forum say.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ahollis

A couple of the films were non-anamorphic. Widescreen - yes, anamorphic - no (Two on a Seesaw, The Group). Before I purchase any film that was not filmed 1.33:1, I will wait to see what the good people on the forum say.

That's my concern too. I didn't buy Trapeze until it was confirmed to be in its OAR.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks