What's new

Meyer's Dark Rum and....?? (1 Viewer)

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for different ways to fix a drink with my favorite rum...I know of Rum and Coke, my favorite is Meyers and Creme Soda over ice. Any other ideas?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
ice and a lime wedge :)

I prefer not to dilute the flavor... good stuff !

One other suggestion is Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix. Just a splash with Meyer's makes a mean Mai Tai !

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Several—here are a couple:

Planter’s Punch, sort of a Mint Julep made with rum instead of bourbon. Very fine for a late, hot summer afternoon.

Stir a teaspoon of brown sugar into a jigger (1 ½ oz) of lime juice (in a tall glass). Add 3 jiggers rum. Fill the glass (about three-quarters of the way) with crushed (or even better, shaved) ice. Stir. Top with a sprig of mint, slice of lime, maraschino cherry.

Daiquiri, a cocktail, so perhaps not what you had in mind.

Put ½ jigger lime juice and 1 teaspoon sugar (superfine will work best) in a shaker and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add just a bit (maybe ¼ jigger) of orange liqueur (e.g. Tripple Sec) and 2 jiggers light rum. Put in a few ice cubes. Shake it all together and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.

And here is one I found years ago in a Julia Child book—unlike the others it is not particularly alcoholic and so is kind of nice for a late afternoon or early evening get-together.

Put 2 jiggers dark rum, ½ jigger Rose’s lime juice (or some other sweetweend lime juice), ½ jigger triple sec, t tablespoon orange marmalade (I know this seems strange, but trust me—or at least Julia), 3 jiggers dry vermouth, 1 orange cut into quarters, a few shakes of orange bitters and 6 ice cubes.

Blend it all for 20 seconds or so and strain (through a sieve) into a pitcher. Put some plastic wrap over the pitcher and put in the refridgerator.

Pour into chilled cocktail glasses when ready (this should make about 6 drinks).

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
A different brand and a li'l sweet but try:

Captain Morgan Coconut rum mixed with Hawaiian Punch

Aloha :)

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks you guys,
I think I just work my way down the list and see what grabs me! If I can find Capt Morgan I'll give it a try.
Warren

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Capt Morgan, being a spiced rum, has a VERY different taste than Meyers. Not too my taste, I prefer the powerful punch of Meyers. Meyers adds a very unique flavor to mixers that other rums don't....

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Whatever it adds,it choked me. I stooped with the colored booze as it adds to a hangover and i just stick with a good Vodka nowadays.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
The ultimate is the Original Trader Vic's Mai Tai. Read the fascinating history from Vic himself in this link

As Vic Bergeron's orginal 17 yr old J. Wray Nephew dark Jamacian rum is no longer available, it is widely recommended to substitute equal portions of Myers Dark Jamaican Rum with Bacardi Light Rum. He full recipe below:

1 oz Dark Rum
1 oz Barcardi Light
juice from half a lime
0.5 oz Curacao
0.25 oz Orgeat syrup
0.25 oz rock candy syrup*

Start with the lime juice over shaved ice in a shaker. Add other ingredients. Shake and pour into a 15 oz highball glass. Or as I prefer ... a big widemouth tiki glass. Be sure to make at least 2 for each guest so you have time to relax.

* for the rock candy syrup, simply mix 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water and boil until sugar is fully dissolved. cool and bottle the sryup for many happy Mai Tai moments.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
It's a Winter drink, but "Hot Buttered Rum" is great with Myer's Dark.
1 lb butter
1 lb brown sugar
1 lb powered sugar
1 qt vanilla ice cream
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

cream butter and brown sugar together
sift in powered sugar
add softened ice cream, cinnamon, & nutmeg
mix until smooth and creamy
store in freezer

Use 1-2 Tbsp of mix to 2-3 oz dark rum
fill mug with hot water (almost boiling) and stir thouroughly

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Another great recipe for the holidays is Egg Nog made with Myers Dark, White Rum, Apple Jack, milk, half and half, sugar, egg yolks and a sprinkle of nutmeg. We usually make it by the gallon, using 1 lb of superfine sugar, 6 raw beaten egg yolks, 16 oz. white rum, 16oz. apple jack, 8 oz. Myers, and fill the rest of the gallon with equal parts of milk and half and half.

This drink is very strong, and very rich, so beware! We usually mix the sugar, milk and eggs together with a hand mixer, then add the liquor.

Some of your guests may have issues with the raw eggs, so you could leave them out, it just wouldn't be as rich, and would taste milker. You also don't want to keep this around too long because of the eggs (that's never a problem when we make it!).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, you HAVE to try it! It's a MUST! :D

Seriously, as mentioned, it's a spiced rum...Since the Coke is already sweet, you want to balance that out with the spiciness of Captain. And don't forget the lime twist to round out that sweet/spicy/sour taste. :emoji_thumbsup:

Most rums are sugary and (when added to Coke) they get too sweet. I don't know about Myers, but I know a lot of people who get MASSIVE hangovers when using Bacardi and I believe it's the sugar rush that adds to your headache and makes things worse for ya.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Pretty funny.... Some people claim a home theater is way too much trouble just to watch tv.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't tried it specifically with Meyers, but I like a drink called a Dark and Stormy-- Gosling's (from Bermuda) dark rum with ginger beer (not ginger ale) and a squeeze of lime. Gosling's also makes a 151 proof dark rum that will curl your nostril hairs (in a good way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks