What's new

METROID PRIME Review - 9.8 from IGN! (1 Viewer)

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
didnt get very far cause i didnt have time, i wanted to check out splinter cell too, but this game is awesome, no other way to describe it... need....time....off.....

paul_v

Second Unit
Hey Rusty! We must have missed each other at Electronics Boutique. Mike said you got it from the Colin Creek Mall store. I was there at 6:20 or so to pick it up. I had to wait an hour and a half for the store employee to drive out to the store the game was dropped ship to.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
FedEx dropped mine off from EB at 9:45 in the morning, pretty impressive. Early impressions are good, don't hate the controls nearly as much as I thought I would.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Oh yeah. MP is good.
Got mine this morning, and it's a blast. The atmosphere is fantastic, and very creepy (at least the first level is). Graphics and sound are top-notch as well. It really feels like a Metroid game, even in first person.
Combat is going to take some getting used to for me, especially with no strafe / freelook combination.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Got a copy this morning, and really enjoying it so far. Controls are taking some getting used to though, but I'll agree that they're not near as bad as I expected.

I'm a little wary about the game length though. I'm just over 2 hours in, and already 9% complete (and I thought I was taking my time). I'm hoping that this is just a function of getting a bunch of powerups etc early on, but I was hoping for minimum 20 hrs out of this one. We'll have to see what happens further along.

Only other minor gripe at this point is that in order to lock on to the next enemy you have to release and hold the L button (as opposed to automatically locking on to the next nearest enemy when you ar fighting a group). I'd like to see how it would have worked with a targeting system closer to Zelda's.

Actually, the controls remind me a lot of the N64 zeldas.

Looks like it'll be a great game though.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Even if I wanted to get this game, I can't because I have to save up for Christmas.
Morgan, why on God's green earth would you not want to get this game? For someone as infatuated with the GCN as yourself, I would think that you'd be all over a game that could possibly be the best title on the system thus far.
By the way, I picked up my copy this afternoon, and I shall be going home lickety split after work to play it. I can't wait to see what exploits this game has in store for me. It's going to be a blast!

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Feh. I'm stuck and the GameFAQs message boards give me a headache just from reading all the retarded titles.

After I get space jump I dunno what to do. I head towards the Chapel of Elders but it's blocked by some weird gate, and it looks like I need the wave beam anyway.

Andre F

Screenwriter
It came today! Holy crap is this ever good. I've totally been on an Xbox high since getting it a month ago and due to that I have not been looking forward to this that much. When UPS delivered it I popped it and was just amazed...Samus is definately back! :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-

I want to buy it SO badly, but I only have $53 (the exact amount I need) and no job, so I can't buy the game since I'll need money for Christmas shopping. You wanna send me $53?

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
anyone else getting motion sickness from this game? I actually had to lay down twice because of this game. well, hopefully it's not because of this game and it's just that I'm getting sick! :D Oddly enough I am getting sick from this game and not from anything else that moves around a lot like Halo. Oh well... On top of that, I am stuck in Metroid. GRRRRRR...

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I called around several retailers for this game; EB had a ton of copies, but I settled on Walmart, which also had at least 25 copies. I don't think there's a shortage, but shipping is sporadic, seeing as there was only one Walmart out of 5 which had it. My local GameCrazy and EB had Splinter Cell, but I'll wait until the weekend for that.

Initial Impressions From Limited Gameplay: So far, the only thing that wasn't totally flowing from the get-go were the controls, which have been discussed ad nauseum. It took me an hour or so before Y-axis movement and strafing seemed natural.

The graphics are extremely clean, and really shine is many areas. This is work I would expect from Rare, but Retro somehow delivered. The entire game world is very animated, which is very enjoyable on a big-screen (esp. w/ progressive scan). The amount of detail put into the very first few sections alone is incredible, and makes me wonder how they packed so much life into this game.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Me Likey!

The environments in this game are astounding... and I've only scratched the surface.

I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
By the way, please note that Prime's timer does not count down when you're looking at the map, reading scan data, examining your research log, or viewing cut-scenes. So, while your clock my read closer to 20 hours at completion, you will have in fact played much more.
So, there you go!

Right now, I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 hours into this game, and all I can say is, WOW! I sincerely hope that it stays this good all the way through. I absolutely adored Super Metroid, and this game looks as if it could follow in those awesome footsteps.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Motion sickness - try inverting the Y axis. Maybe your thumb and your brain are in reverse.

I got the GBA game as well. I have to say I was kinda pissed to find out that you have to FINISH one or the other to get the link uploads. I was under the impression that as you play one or the other, you link them and get the goodies from one uploaded to the other. Hrm.

I really, REALLY like this game. I love how your helmet fogs up when you step under the waterfall.

TOO MANY DAMN GAMES! I'm currently playing BloodRayne so I'm just itching to get through that so I can spend time with Metroid. Then there's all that XBox Live goodness, Dragon's Lair 3D (coming in late). *sigh*

I'll never get back to Everquest at this rate.

Mike

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I am number 24 on the pre-order list at my local EBgames and they only got 18 copies!!!!! They are hoping to get more today, god I hope they do :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks