What's new

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Anyone else excited? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
OK, now that GTA4 is out, up next for the major release hype is MGS4. Is anyone excited about this besides me? I don't have a PS3 right now, but I am hoping to get my stimulus check from the IRS in time so that I can go out and buy a PS3 with MGS4 as soon as it comes out. I've been following the news and early reviews and I cannot wait for this release.

Morgan- If you buy the 80 gig bundle from Walmart next week, you may be able to get a $100 gift card with your purchase. This is the route I'm taking.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered it after watching a video of Kojima doing an in-game demo. Looks good.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From what I've been reading, MGS4 will bring back a lot characters, events, and loose plotlines from 2 and 3 and wrap them up nicely. If you haven't played those two games, I've read that there's a gameplay feature where you can re-enact or view events from past games to refresh your memory as the story proceeds, so it might not be too big of a deal if you didn't play previous games.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I played through MGS2 when I first bought my PS2, and then I tried 3 and got stuck. I ended up hauling it out again this past weekend to see if I could get any farther, and to get in the mood, as I intend to pick up the new one on release day.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Picked up my collectors edition at lunch today, and have been listening to the soundtrack CD. In less than one full listen I am ready to call this one of the top five game soundtracks ever created. Of course I've loved Ennio Morricone's stuff since 'The Thing'
Ennio Morricone

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Uhh...didn't Harry Gregson Williams do the music for this? Just like MGS 2 and 3?

Also, due to a lack of funds, I will not be getting MGS4 today. However, I'm going away from saturday to friday, so it's not like I'd get to play it much anyway.

Who got the game and what do you think?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I got the game along with the 80 gig bundle (and the $100 gift card :D) but due to other commitments, I have only been able to play for about 15 minutes (just to the first save point.) What little I've seen though, is astonishingly good looking and sounding! The whole PS3 thing is new to me, but in terms of audio and video, the MGS4 presentation is a notch above GTAIV (the only other game I have for comparison.) This is an early knee-jerk reaction, so I may change my mind once I get into both games, but for now, I have to give the nod to MGS4 for sight and sound.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've played a bit of it. If you don't like cut scenes interrupting your game play then you might dislike the title. I played for about an hour or two and there were quite a few cut scenes during that time. This game looks more story driven than your average video game, so they have quite a few cinematics going.

The opening sequence of the game is quite long before you actually get to play. Graphics, sound effects, and the soundtrack are right up there. It sounds and looks good. I don't mind it so far, but I like games that are more story based so large amounts of cinematics don't bother me. Other people may disagree though.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Long and frequent cutscenes and Codec conversations have pretty much been standard since Sons of Liberty, so I'm expecting a lot of story here as well. Anyway, this game, so far from what I have seen, assumes very much you are familiar with the story of the other games (I've played them all, and I am still trying to recall a lot of things).

BTW, Circuit City is giving away the official stategy book free with purchase. The sales guy there when I bought this said I would get a free strategy guide. I assumed it was going to be some rinky dink, 5 page, first level kind of thing, but it turned out to be the official book. I was annoyed when I first went to Gamestop and they didn't have any left on hand. But it worked out for the best in this case.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I finished it last night. I consider it to be the best game ever (sorry Final Fantasy VII) . It even made me cry a few times and I'm not one who cries often. Make sure you play and remember the other MGS games before you start this one though. Everything that happened in them is important in MGS4.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Finished it last night as well. I agree that it is outstanding, however, I wouldn't say it is a game. I couldn't help but feel about 3/4's of the way through that I was part of a huge event. Not a game.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
O.K. I've owned a PS3 from DAY ONE when it was released (the original 60 Gig version so I have the HW PS2 compatability). I purchased my PS3 as a Blu-ray player and it still is, in my opinion, the best Blu-ray player out there in terms of still being current after all this time (I own 3 BR players so I'm talking from experience.)

While I have a couple of PS3 games (some forced on me with my "bundle"), no games actually excited me after some initial playing and most remain dormant. In fact, the only extended gaming"that I have done on my PS3 are some of the classic PS2 titles (e.g. the 2 God of Wars, Shadow of the Colossus) and these titles actually look and sound great with the upscaling, etc. on the PS3. In other words, I consider my PS3 primarily as a Blu-ray player with gaming being secondary (especially since I own all three of the latest consoles - including XBox360 and Wii). And for those titles that are multi-platform the fact that achievement points come with the 360 version always sways me in that direction. The PS3 comes in 3rd as a gaming device in my HT.

Until now.

I never was into the Metal Gear franchise (not a knock, just the fact that there are just 24 hours in a day and I have other interests and never owned a PS2) so I don't have a lot of history with the series. But after seeing the final build of MGS4 I'm totally amazed at how good this title looks and sounds. GTA4 no longer has "Game of the Year" locked up - and that's saying a lot.

Obviously, I've purchased MSG4 and look forward to finally some serious gaming on my PS3. But I have some questions and I'm hoping that those of you with long time experience with the franchise can help me out a bit before I dive in to this game/movie/universe/whatever. Let me be more specific.
  • I'm hearing conflicting opinions regarding the need to play through the earlier MG titles (especially the PS2 ones) in order to fully grasp what's going on. Yes, I understand that without a previous knowledge of some of the back story I might miss some of the finer points and subtle (or not so subtle) references that require such history. However, I'm also hearing that the way that MSG4 presents the content there is enough there to bring newbies up to speed on what happened before. What are you opinions on this? I'm hoping to be able to jump right in with MSG4 without a lot of frustration - especially since I have limited time and having to wade through parts 2 and 3 before tackling 4 doesn't really appeal to me if not necessary at this point. What say you?
  • If I find myself really drawn into the MGS story I could see myself going back at a later date and playing through the PS2 MG2 and MG3 titles using my PS3 (original) HW. Have any of you used the original PS3 to play through the PS2 MG titles? How do they look? In other words, I'm assuming that MG2/3 works fine on the original PS3 - i.e. there are no problems with compatability as there are with a couple of PS2 titles. What have been your experiences?
I would really appreciate some opinions on the questions I've raised here. MGS4 looks like an awesome title and in my opinion finally gets the PS3 the "killer app" that it sorely needed. Most of the other stuff either wasn't that impressive to me or was cross platform which wouldn't cause a lot of gamers to sit up and notice.

MGS4 certainly does that.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I know I've heard about stuff online (and possibly included with the game, but that might just be the expensive "Collector's Edition") that brings the story up to speed for people who didn't play the earlier games. Try Google.

I bought the PC edition of MGS2, so I can't comment on its performance on the 60GB PS3. If I get around to finishing it I'll pick up MGS3 for the PS2 though.

In the "Good and Bad" section of GameSpot's review, under "The Bad" they put:
:)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have not played though a lot of the game yet, but I do think it would be useful to have some knowledge of the previous games. For example, in the first few minutes of the game there is a reference to "FOXDIE" which was a major plot point of the first MGS on PS1. Supposedly, this is the last MGS chapter and that this one is supposed to tie up the loose threads from the previous games. I'm sure the games is probably structured in such a way where it's not required that you had played the previous games, but I'm sure the experience will be a lot more rewarding if you have.

If you go on Wikipedia, you can get plot summaries of the previous games to give you a better knowledge of the story so far. I believe that gamefaqs.com may have some very detailed story writeups as well. The official guidebook also has sidebars that mention important items from the previous games.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've only played Metal Gear 2 on PS2 a few years ago, and I can't tell you anything about that story that I remember. Some of it was just convoluted. If I ever get this new game, I think I would just read about the previous stories from a website.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks