What's new

Merged Thread: Marx Brothers on DVD - 7 more films on May 4th (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm all over this set with me already owning the Image dvd releases of their Paramount films. If Universal releases them again with some presentation improvements then I'll buy them again.

Crawdaddy

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
The press release reveals that Warner has really pulled out the stops for this set, and rightly so.

I love all these films, and can't wait to purchase this.

Is there packaging posted anywhere yet??? I'm hoping Warner will follow their usual pattern of using original poster art. There were some GREAT posters done by Metro for these Marx classics!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to this set with great extras and a nice price too. looks like Warners is well on the way to being Studio of the Year again. Other than Duck Soup and Horse Feathers I actually enjoy the MGM Marxes better than the Paramount ones.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
All I can say is "WOW"

If only Universal could follow in the footsteps of Warner. Then I would be a truly happy man.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nice artwork. This set looks to be one of the highlight of 2004. Can't wait and I'm glad I haven't watched any of these films in about 8 years now so they should be a treat again.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
These look awesome. But I'm not holding my breath for Universal to do anything that would come close to this set.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
....gulp.....duh.......can't stop.......drooooling........

Andrew

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

If only the Hal Roach L&H's stayed with MGM...the original distributors of most of their pre-1940 films. Warner may not do a flawless restoration for every title, but they won't do something sloppy like using a circa-1984 video transfer for DVD.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes these new Marx Bros discs look great and the content looks top notch too.

Anthony you'll be glad to know that most of the Laurel and Hardy movies are getting released on DVD in the UK this year. Vision video which I think are a subsidiary of Universal UK are pulling all the VHS tapes currently available along with the four UK DVDs to replace them with a brand new range of 20 discs. All the info is at the Laurel and Hardy Magazine website. They aren't going into details about the content yet but it all sounds pretty imminent.

Also the Dutch are releasing all the sound shorts in order. These will be followed up by the silents and sound features later on this year I believe. Those look like barebones discs but are very good value for money as they will retain the English soundtracks and the excellent restored versions currently available from the German company Kinowelt. I have some of these so won't be buying the Dutch set but at 60/70 euros for almost forty shorts it looks like a great bargain !

With the British getting in on the act too those with multi-region equipment which can handle PAL video really won't have many excuses not to get hold of Stan and Ollie's best work. Just a pity they won't be available in the US too.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Yikes where have I been :D I forgot that it's getting closer to the DVD's being released. I just saw the cover art at The Digital Bits and ran over to Amazon and Pre-Ordered it for 41.99. I can't wait..so many great classics coming out this year that I'm looking forward to watching :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow is all I can say !!!!!!!!! I just discovered the press release and WB certainly have pulled out all the stops for this.

Charles H

Screenwriter
LOVE HAPPY is owned by Artisan (Republic). Their final film--although they do not appear together--is a 1957 anomoly called THE STORY OF MANKIND, in which Chico plays a monk in a scene about Columbus, Harpo plays Isaac Newton, and Groucho plays Peter Minuit. Produced by Irwin Allen, it features Ronald Colman as the Spirit of Man, Vincent Price as the Devil, Hedy Lamarr as Joan of Arc, Peter Lorre as Nero, Dennis Hopper as Napolean, et al. It would be a great marketing strategy to offer it as a bonus disc a la the Oscar shorts dvd they offered through b & n.

Buy the buy. The WB/MGM TARZAN box set has been posted for the beginning of June on the Movies Unlimited website.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I just hope that Warner doesn't dump another PAL to NTSC converted transfer on us, the way they did with their R1 Chaplins. For that reason I am very leery about buying Marx Brothers box, before someone I trust, like Gary Tooze reviews it.

Ted

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

You need not worry. The Chaplins are only distributed by Warner on behalf the French company MK2. They are the ones who created the Chaplin masters and delivered Warner PAL conversions.

All you need to do is look at the stellar transfers Warner has been delivering on the classics that they do own (including their recent crop of Oscar winners) to know that these Marx pictures will be treated with equal care.

I've already pre-ordered the set & can't wait until May for the release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks