What's new

Merged Thread: Marx Brothers on DVD - 7 more films on May 4th (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why my thread was combined with this earlier one (there might be confusion when people click on the first page and see no info on this set). But since you have, I would change the title of it by dropping the word "more" as there are currently no other Marx Brothers films on DVD available for purchase. It makes it seem as there are other titles that have been announced for DVD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That last paragraph in the USA Today article completely contradicts the info given in the NY Times article from early January that meantions Universal prepping a SE of Duck Soup, so hopefully it is just USA Today getting bad info.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
There is an article in today's Variety with more details, and Jay E is correct about the seven films.

Variety.com has the article, but you need registration (which is free for 30 days trial membership) to view it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not too happy to hear, if today's USA TODAY
article is correct, that none of the Universal
titles are being prepared for release (Duck Soup,
Animal Crackers, The Cocoanuts, Horsefeathers,
Monkey Business).

Universal should be getting these out!

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I thought this was going to be a dissappointing year for movies on DVD...but this changes my opinion! On my list of 22 DVDs to buy this year, 10 were tv shows and 5 were re-releases, but I have to say this set is my most awaited for the year.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Actually, GO WEST has a marvelous opening (train station) and closing (fight on the roof of a moving train) sequence that kind of make the whole film worth watching. A DAY AT THE RACES, while I dislike censorship, has a couple of truly awkward racial sequences including an extended musical number, but if those were absent it would be very tight comedy. I'd love to do my own edit of that film.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Hopefully these will sell well and Universal will see their MB films as a potential money maker. I would think that the best time to release their films would be at the same time as Warners or shortly thereafter.

And lets hope that some restoration effort is put into all of them. I don't expect a full blown restoration. But hopefully they can at least clean them up a little bit.

Boy, it'd be great to have the full collection. I hope we get all the old classics before they dissolve or deteriorate beyond repair.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I wonder what the status of ROOM SERVICE is. I have only seen lousy PD prints of this and it would be nice if Warners had nice material from their RKO library.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
ROOM SERVICE is most certainly not PD, but I agree that every time I've seen this film it's looked awful. Knowing Warner's attention to high-quality when it comes to their classics, I trust that they will be giving us a very good looking transfer.

I also happen to think the movie is a great deal of fun, and
is often too easily discounted among the 13 features in the Marx's filmography.

Count me in as someone who anxiously awaits this new collection.:emoji_thumbsup:

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'm a bit suspicious of the possibility of Universal releasing the Marx Brothers soon since they have not released any Paramount films in nearly a year (except through license to Kino and Criterion).

There is one more Marx Brothers film owned by Artisan (LOVE HAPPY, distinguished by early Marilyn Monroe and Raymond Burr) and one more owned by WB (THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957) with Chico as a Monk, Harpo as Isaac Newton, and Groucho as Peter Minuit--they do not appear together!! It's in Technicolor and features Ronald Colman, Hedy Lamarr, Dennis Hopper, Vincent Price, and Peter Lorre.).

This would be a grat marketing bonus if WB would do something along the lines of SUNRISE with Fox or the deal they have with Barnes and Noble this Tuesday. B & N is giving a free Oscar-winning shorts DVD with every regular Oscar Collection dvd.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is now my most anticipated DVD release for 2004. This will nearly complete my Marx Brothers collection.

That said, I own the Image Boxset, but don't have Cocoanuts, or Animal Crackers. I would love to replace my copies as well as get copies of the other two, but I have absolutely "ZERO" faith in Universal releasing these in watchable condition. They have proven nothing but complete disdain for their classic catalog and it really depresses me. I'm also not impressed with their current direction "Legacy Packs". These sound to me like an excuse to make a quick buck by re-releasing the same shoddy transfers in a new package and not even having to bother w/ extras. If the rumor is true, that Universal is working on the Marx titles, I'd be willing to bet that it will be one of these packs and they'll have the exact same transfers. I'll await final judgement when reviews of the A&C set start pouring in.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I just received this.... I really can't wait...!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

'We really need a second Mount Rushmore memorial: this one for Groucho,

Chico and Harpo... [who gave us] perhaps the most jubilant and inspired comic anarchy the world has ever known" -- Tom Shales, Washington Post

The Marx Brothers

A Day at the Races, A Night at the Opera,

Room Service, At the Circus,

Go West, The Big Store

A Night in Casablanca

Seven Comedy Classics Debut as Deluxe Five DVD Gift Set on May 4 from Warner Home Video

Collection DVDs Include New Documentaries, Commentaries, Vintage Shorts, Cartoons and Audio Treasures

Burbank, Calif., January 27, 2004 - On May 4, Warner Home Video is releasing seven of the funniest and most popular films from one of the world's most beloved comedy teams, the Marx Brothers. These films, A Night at the Opera (1935), A Day at the Races (1937), Room Service (1938), At the Circus (1939), Go West (1940), The Big Store (1941) and A Night in Casablanca (1946) are being released on DVD for the very first time, as part of The Marx Brothers Collection, a deluxe five DVD gift set priced at $59.92. A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, and A Night in Casablanca will also be available as single discs priced at $19.97 SRP.

The Marx Brothers -- Groucho, the bushy-browed, cigar-smoking wisecracker with the funny mustache and walk; Harpo, the loveable mute with the curly red hair, top hat, raincoat and horn; and Chico, the rakish con artist with the Italian accent -- were madcap comedians of the first order who paved the way for generations of comedians and made the world safe for puns. They started off in vaudeville in the 1920s and followed their popular stage act with a total of 13 sound feature films made between 1929 and 1949. Their most popular and successful films were those made at MGM, where the brothers were brought under contract in 1935 by the studio's legendary head of production Irving Thalberg. Thalberg personally supervised A Night at the Opera and began preparation of A Day at the Races before his untimely death prior to the beginning of filming. The brothers remained at MGM for several years thereafter, only leaving the studio on loan-out to RKO for 1938's Room Service, and then making their last true comic romp for independent producer David L. Loew in 1946 entitled A Night in Casablanca.

According to George Feltenstein, WHV's Senior VP, Classic Catalog, "The Marx Brothers trademark brand of lunacy has often been imitated but never equaled, and their unique style of comedy is timeless. At the present time, no Marx Brothers features are actively in distribution on DVD and we know consumer demand has been building. Warner Home Video is proud to reward the anxious Marx fans with these seven films, which are as fresh and hysterically funny as they were when they were first shown in theaters decades ago."

WHV's Marx Brothers Collection DVDs

A Night at the Opera - Maltin calls this 1935 comic masterpiece "arguably their finest film. This is as good as it gets." In it, the Marx Brothers turn Mrs. Claypool's opera into chaos in their efforts to help two young hopefuls get a break. It contains the famous scene where Groucho, Chico and Harpo cram a ship's stateroom with wall-to-wall people, gags, one-liners, musical riffs and two hard-boiled eggs.

Favorite quote:

Otis B. Driftwood: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.

Fiorello: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... you can't fool me. There ain't no sanity clause!

Enhanced content includes:

Commentary by Leonard Maltin
All-New Documentary Remarks On Marx
The Hy Gardner Show (1/1/61) excerpt featuring Groucho Marx
Three Vintage MGM Shorts: Fitzpatrick Traveltalk's Los Angeles: Wonder City Of The World, Sunday Night At The Trocadero and Robert Benchley's Academy AwardÒ -Winning How To Sleep
Theatrical Trailer
A Day at the Races (1937) - Groucho stars as Hugo Z. Hackenbush, a horse veterinarian dispensing horse pills and quips with equal glee. Chico selling racing tips, Harpo destroying a piano to turn it into a harp and favorite foil actress Margaret Dumont make this thoroughbred comedy wall-to-wall hilarity. Many of the sequences in the film were performed by the Marx Brothers on a special road tour of live engagements before making it to the screen.

Favorite quotes:

Dr. Hackenbush (Taking a pulse): Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.

Dr. Hackenbush: If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you.

Commentary by The Marx Brothers Encyclopedia Author Glenn Mitchell
All-New Documentary On Your Marx, Get Set, Go!
Four Vintage Shorts: Robert Benchley's OscarÒ -Nominated A Night At The Movies plus the rarely-seen MGM Cartoons Gallopin' Gals, Mama's New Hat and Old Smokey
Audio-Only Treasures: Musical Outtake A Message From The Man In The Moon (performed by Allan Jones) and an MGM Radio Promo Leo Is On The Air
Theatrical Trailer
Room Service/At the Circus - These two films are combined on one disc to provide double doses of laughter. In Room Service (1938), Lucille Ball and Ann Miller provide comic co-star support while the Marx Brothers play producers trying to keep their show above water and a hotel room over their head. In At the Circus (1939) Groucho stars as professional shyster lawyer J. Cheever Loophole in the middle of big-top bedlam as the boys try to save the circus and look to Margaret Dumont for the money to do so. Groucho sings one of his famous songs, "Lydia the Tattooed Lady."

Favorite Quotes:

Room Service

Leo Davis: Well, if you fellows don't mind, I'm going to wash up.

Harry Binelli: Yeah, go ahead. The rest of us are already washed up.

At the Circus

J. Cheever Loophole: No, no, I'd rather not. I have an agreement with the houseflies. The flies don't practice law and I don't walk on the ceiling.

Side A:

Vintage Our Gang Comedy Short Party Fever plus Daffy Duck and Porky Pig in the Looney Tunes Classic The Daffy Doc
Side B:

Vintage Our Gang Comedy Short Dog Daze and Classic MGM Cartoon Jitterbug Follies
Go West/The Big Store - Another Marx Brothers twin bill makes this a hilarious comedy "two-fer." In the first, the Marxmen Go West (1940) to the land of outlaws and Indians where the fun never stops and where they outwit a land grabber. Highlights include Chico and Harpo bellying up to the bar, the $1 scam, the stagecoach ride and the brilliant train chase finale. In The Big Store (1941), Groucho plays Attorney Wolf J. Flywheel who with sidekick Wacky (Harpo) and bodyguard Ravelli (Chico) are investigating the shady dealings of a crooked department store owner. This is the last of nine films in which Margaret Dumont would appear with the Marx Brothers.

Favorite Quote:

Go West

S. Quentin Quale: I'd have thrashed him to within an inch of his life, but I didn't have a tape measure.

DVD enhanced content includes:

Side A:

Vintage Shorts, Pete Smith Specialty Quicker 'N A Wink and Fitzpatrick Traveltalk Cavalcade Of San Francisco
Vintage Cartoon, The Milky Way
Leo Is On The Air Radio Promo
Side B:

Vintage MGM Short Flicker Memories and Vintage MGM Cartoon Officer Pooch
Audio Musical Outtake: Where There's Music
A Night in Casablanca (1946) - This parody of the Bogart/Bergman 1943 classic features the Nazis vs. the "nutsies" as the Marx Brothers foil Axis criminals when they find stolen jewels and paintings Nazis have hidden in a hotel. Playing Ronald Kornblow, Groucho is the manager of the Hotel Casablanca swirling with intrigue, while Chico is his bodyguard and Harpo plays a not- so-loyal valet to the villain.

Favorite quote:

Beatrice Rheiner: I shall be in the Supper Club.

Ronald Kornblow: The Supper Club?

Beatrice Rheiner: Yes. Will you join me?

Ronald Kornblow: Why? Are you coming apart?

Bugs Bunny in the Looney Tunes cartoon classic Acrobatty Bunny
Vintage Joe McDoakes Short So You Think You're A Nervous Wreck
All the films will be presented in their standard version formats, preserving the aspect ration of their original theatrical exhibition.

The Marx Brothers Collection

$59.92 SRP for deluxe five disc gift set

Street Date: May 4

A Night at the Opera

$19.97 SRP

Rating: Not rated

B&W/Run Time: 91 minutes
A Day at the Races

$19.97 SRP

Rating: Not rated

B&W/Run Time: 109 minutes

Room Service/At the Circus