What's new

Merged Thread for all problem-related issues with TTT:EE ext. ed. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It also sucks that the paper was attached completely off square and looks hideous on there. Good luck convincing me to shell out for a "collector's box" again that looks like crap with advertising all over it. I'll save the extra $40 for something that I can display.:thumbsdown:

Mine's going back anyway, since the disc is defective. If the next set is bad, I'll be looking for a refund.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
None of the paper was attached to my box at all. I removed the plastic overwrap and all the paper just fell away. :confused:

JasonRH

Second Unit
Malcolm,
That's how it should have been done in all cases, yet my paper had copious amounts of glue that required slow, careful peeling and even still it left a mess of paper permanently stuck to the top of the box. I'm too lazy to look over this thread for a common theme but maybe it's just sets bought in Canada that suffers from this?

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I got my replacement case yesterday with NO paper glued to the back, everything is good! It was actually sent by "Melissa McGee" who is the same person who replaced my "Back to the Future" disks two and three with framing issues.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I recieved my replacement box today and now have one that is in perfect condition. Thanks to Alliance for the prompt action:emoji_thumbsup:. At the risk of sounding like a beggar I asked for a replacement for my FOTR:EE. When I bought mine the plastic had the ALLIANCE ATLANTIS logo along the spine and, when removed, left the wording behind as part of the box. I never asked for a replacement at the time because I didn't know the studios would do such a thing but decided to ask now. Whatever they decide to do with my 2nd request I'm impressed with their response to the TTT packaging problem. For people with damage to the Collector's box (with Gollum figure), sorry you guys aren't getting yours replaced :frowning:

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
JasonRH,

I seem to have shared the same experience as you. I also received my replacement slipcase in good condition and am pleased with the response to my complaint.

I also had my FOTR:EE slipcase ruined by the Alliance logo printed on the shrinkwrap. Although I did complain at the time, I also mentioned it when I complained about TTT:EE. I think I'll call the Universal/Alliance Atlantis customer service number and see what they say.

That toll-free number for Canada is 1-866-532-2203 (in Toronto 416-495-3491)

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup:

I left a message on the hotline explaining the problem and asking if it was possible. They called back to confirm my name and said they would send me an FOTR:EE cover.

I would guess you can probably expect one too, but you might want to call to make sure.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Mike,
Got an email reply stating that they are mailing one to me as well:)
Thanks again, Alliance:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting the address-just emailed Alliance and will hopefully see a new case in the mail soon.

Just as a heads up-tried using GooGone to get rid of the adhesive on my case, and actually took off a bunch of the red ink as well (but not all the glue residue). I have to say that I like the way they packed Indy (no glue) much more.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Some skipping problems on disc two... sending over to a friend's tonight and see if he's got the same whackabaloo...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm trying to figure out what you guys are talking about re the Alliance Atlantis slipcover. I have the EE's, with the paper with the contents glued onto the case...is that the paper you're talking about removing? Or is this something to do with how the disc case was packaged in the deluxe sets? Thanks, just curious. Had no intention of ever removing those glued on papers (because of lousy luck with it in the past), but if everybody else does...

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Craig:

In my mind, the only purpose the outer paper serves is for the customer when they pick it up in the store to see what features are included. This is probably a requirement that the exterior packaging contains this information.

Since New Line/Alliance did such a nice job with the packaging, it takes away from the look of it if the paper is left in place. It's the same thing as the Indiana Jones boxset where some wonderful artwork of Indy was covered by the outer paper. It was never intended to kept on there. It seems that with most LOTR:TTT boxsets sold in the US, the paper was not attached at all - it simply fell away from the packaging. In Canada, however, many have been reporting that the paper was attached with an abundance of nasty, sticky glue.

Since my LOTR:TTT sleeve was seriously damaged removing the paper, I requested a new one and Alliance promptly delivered. ;)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Jeremy. Oh man, starting to remove those paper backings is just going to lead me into a lot of trouble, they are glued on really well. I have numerous sets with them besides the LOTR stuff, and when I try to lift them I can see the box paper layer start to lift off. And with all the disc or packaging replacements I *already* have in the works, this could become a real nightmare. It's nice that the studios do replace the ruined packaging though, but for now I think I'll leave it at replacements for ones that came damaged.

I really don't see the need for hard-gluing on the LOTR papers, that "snotty" glue should be strong enough.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I really don't see the need for hard-gluing on the LOTR papers, that "snotty" glue should be strong enough.
Precisely. Or better yet, how about nothing? The shrinkwrap already holds them in place. The only reason I can see for not doing it this way is because the paper may come off somewhere along the assembly line before the shrinkwrap is applied.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Jeremy, did you get the collector box or just the booklike disc holder that comes with the regular extended edition?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I just got the 'regular' Extended Edition set...not the one with the Gollum statue. They replaced the outer sleeve of this.

KevinEls

Auditioning
If you try to pull the paper off, the soft glue under the sheet on the rear section will cause the nice surface of the sleeve to bubble all down the back of the sleeve. Hope this is sorted out soon. It seems that this problem does not apply to US disks.

I can't believe that Alliance Atlantis would goof up to this degree, especially on a title of this quality and the level of anticipation. I am in Region 4. I e-mailed AA and they left me nowhere to go by stating they would not send a replacement sleeve since I was outside North America, despite me offering to pay for postage.

I have gone through my canadian supplier who are normally excellent for customer service and waiting an outcome.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I GOT GOLLUM!!!

#740 of 7,500...and *much* easier to get out of the box than poor Smeagol was. Inside the brown packing box - which pretty much fit the inside item like a glove - was a deep red (burgandy, perhaps) box with the golden Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers logo on top of a pic of the enclosed status, and with both Sideshow WETA and New Line Cinema logos in the bottom corners.

The statue looks great and now sits on the right end of the shelf, in an arrangement like this:

[c]SMEAGOL - Left Argonath bookend - all Tolkein DVDs - Right Argonath bookend - GOLLUM[/c]

So they're staring at each other ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks