What's new

Merged Thread for all problem-related issues with TTT:EE ext. ed. (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't get the bottom of the box open and ended up demolishing it and Gollum's still stuck. So he'll be displayed in the box :angry:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Equipment: Toshiba SD-4700 via optical to Yamaha HTR5250.
Disc 1
No problems on the first layer of Disc 1.
Layer change at Ch.14/Ch.15 (50:43)

Brief DTS drops at the following times:
Ch.17 @ 1:01:00 when Gandalf says, "Doubt ever gnaws at him." (Part of the word "doubt" is dropped.)

Ch.20 @ 1:21:23 just after Theoden says, "I know your face."

Ch.25 @ 1:34:04 when Theoden says, "Bring my horse." (Part of the word "horse" is dropped.
---
I then played those scenes in DTS on my PS2 via optical to my Yammie and it played flawlessly! This must indicate a compatibility issue with the Toshiba player and not a random disc flaw.
---
Disc 2
Ch.4 @ 12:28 and 12:56 during the Warg attack

Ch.12 @ 39:22 when Smeagol is being taken from the pool.

Ch.18 @ 57:27 just before Arogorn says, "This is a goo sword."

Layer change at Ch.18/19 (59:56)

Ch.24 @ 1:20:14 when Treebeard says, "Hold on little shirelings." Part of "hold on" is dropped.

Ch.28 @ 1:27:45 as the sun is shown streaming through the window on the 5th day.

Ch.30 @1:33:59 as Frodo comes face-to-face with the Fell Beast.
---

I think that is all. I would love for others, especially those with Toshiba DVD players to check those scenes. Any ideas on a fix? Is a firmware upgrade available? Is it free? Otherwise, the DD 5.1 track is a fine alternative, though I have not watched it the whole way through.

Rob Cannon

Auditioning
I also emailed Alliance and they said they would replace the damaged cover for me. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Chris-

I checked all of those points in the film. No problems on DTS or DD. I have a Panny CP72 and a Marantz SR-7000.

One thing I did notice, however, is that on Disc 2, Chapter 53--The Retreat to the Hornberg (on the disc, it's actually Ch 23) at the 1:15:21 mark, as Theoden catches a spear under his right arm and cries out, I get a sound dropout, and at 1:15:22 as the camera pans right and he starts to drive the spear back, I get a weird block/pixellation. It happens every time I watch that section. I tried my DVD-ROM drive, and no problems. Really weird.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Andy

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Disc two of mine freezes periodically for a second then resumes play on the Toshiba. Highly annoying. The Malata did it a couple of times, but not as often. I guess the box isn't the only thing being replaced.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting serious picture and sound problems on my EE, disc one and disc two. I'm using a JVC XV-D723GD player with a Denon 2802 receiver. The movie played fine until chapter 24, Brego, when the picture suddenly started to break up and pixelate very badly. The soundtrack also started to make loud popping/buzzing noises. Eventually the player locked up altogether, then jumped to the next chapter. Strangely, the rest of the disc played fine.

Then, on disc two, chapter 47, Battle of the Hornburg, the picture started to break up again, and eventually became so bad that I had to stop the movie. I tried switching to another player, my old Panasonic A120U. It managed to play the rest of the movie, but still had some fairly annoying picture breakup periodically. I also tried switching between DTS and Dolby Digital tracks, but it didn't seem to make any difference which track I used.

Needless to say, I went back to Circuit City today and exchanged the disc. When I played the same chapters today on the replacement disc, my JVC had no problems at all. I didn't have time to watch the entire movie again, however. Hopefully, it was just a defective disc and not a player compatibility problem, otherwise I'm screwed.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Are your copies of the movie discs made in germany? (feature only not the extras). Check the inner section of the disc. Nothing important here, just a small curious thing I want to know, silly huh? just answer me please.

StevenA

Second Unit
I mentioned this in the main thread. My two feature discs are not WAMO discs like the two extras discs, and there was a small transparent sticker on the backing sheet saying "disc made in Germany".

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Yes, that's exactly my curiosity. I noticed that the two "extras" discs are different from the two feature discs, especially on the inner ring where the former are "filled" with the disc layer and the other two are transparent. Like I said, it's nothing serious, just an odd thing to notice. Any other noticed this? Or happen to know why?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
All four of my discs have "Made in Germany" on the front. The stamp is located at 12 o'clock on the clear plastic between the central hub and where the shiny stuff starts.

I have the weirdest problem yet.

On all 4 disc's my receiver (marantz 5200) can't decide what sound format to play the table of contents in. It just flashes and plays no sound. If I force it to dolby then suddenly the background music plays.
Nothing wrong anywhere at all in the movie itself tho, leave it on auto and hit play, it plays in dolby. Go into options and select DTS and it plays DTS. Just the ToC.
Really weird but certainly not something I care the least about. Never had another disc do that, Fellowship EE is fine.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Equipment: Toshiba SD-4700 via optical to Yamaha HTR5250.
Disc 1
No problems on the first layer of Disc 1.
Layer change at Ch.14/Ch.15 (50:43)

Ch.17 @ 1:01:00 when Gandalf says, "Doubt ever gnaws at him." (Part of the word "doubt" is dropped.)

Ch.20 @ 1:21:23 just after Theoden says, "I know your face."

Ch.25 @ 1:34:04 when Theoden says, "Bring my horse." (Part of the word "horse" is dropped.
---
I then played those scenes in DTS on my PS2 via optical to my Yammie and it played flawlessly! This must indicate a compatibility issue with the Toshiba player and not a random disc flaw.
---
Disc 2
Ch.4 @ 12:28 and 12:56 during the Warg attack

Ch.12 @ 39:22 when Smeagol is being taken from the pool.

Ch.18 @ 57:27 just before Arogorn says, "This is a goo sword."

Layer change at Ch.18/19 (59:56)

Ch.24 @ 1:20:14 when Treebeard says, "Hold on little shirelings." Part of "hold on" is dropped.

Ch.28 @ 1:27:45 as the sun is shown streaming through the window on the 5th day.

Ch.30 @1:33:59 as Frodo comes face-to-face with the Fell Beast.
I haven't checked the exact time codes, but I get PERMANENT dropouts at some of those locations (I specifically remember the Ch.28 one for sure) on my Tosh 4205 (using built in decoder and 6 channel analog outputs). I called Toshiba and asked about a firmware upgrade, and apparently for my model there is an upgrade available but she had no notes as to whether or not it would fix this problem. And I'm sure it's not free since I'm out of warranty.

I guess I'll have to stick with DD or do the stop/play thing to get the DTS sound back every time it drops.

Nick Delgado

Auditioning
I have a AIWA XD-DV370, and the 2 Bonus Discs do not register at all. First two discs play fine. The Bonus discs even seem to work on my PS2 and Xbox. Anyone else have this problem? I have tried a set of discs from Amazon.com 2 from Wal-Mart, and even one from Target, and always the same problem...

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
For all the Canadian's Alliance has sent out an e-mail retracting sending the replacement box. They mentioned they will only replace the box that holds the actual extended edition. As for the collector's box they told me that it "wasn't meant to be removed". Kind of funny they would go to the trouble of printing all the nice designs and the cover it up.

PROBLEM WITH DISC 1

At disc one at scene 20 (27 seconds into the scene) my disc skips back to ch. 16 or it skips ahead about 20 seconds and resumes. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks