What's new

MERGED: Lion King DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Justin_M

Agent
Ok, maybe this is a ways off yet, but the way I see it, that's even better! We have already seen that the House of Mouse listens to consumers who voice their opinions, hence the full frame releases of late. Maybe this is our chance. It seems we still have time to help make this set great, if we make ourselves heard! Does anyone have that e-mail address used for the WS/P&S campaign? This is my all-time favorite Disney movie, and I want to see it done right!

OXonce

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Dan Brecher wrote:
Robert, what about that great Waterfall long shot/push in in Tarzan? That would just be simply breathtaking on an IMAX screen.
That's one of the relatively few long shots in the movie, and if it gains as much on IMAX over regular theaters as it loses on a TV screen, it should be quite spectacular. The ending scene was practically made for IMAX, and the "Strangers Like Me" scene should be equally awe-inspiring, particularly as the light breaks through the forest canopy.

They have to release Tarzan on IMAX, period, and since this movie was pretty successful, I think there's a good chance that they will eventually. The good news for Disney is that they won't have to change a thing, because they burned so much cash on this movie that it's ready for IMAX as it is. I'd also like to add that if they want to save a little money on those monstrous IMAX prints, they could always cut the "Trashin' the Camp" scene. :wink:

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Gee, should the Disney company also issue an apology to the "estate" of William Shakespear for "ripping off" Hamlet in the Lion King as well? :rolleyes

Come to think of it, if Lion King indeed follows Kimba the White Lion so closely, maybe the Tezuka Estate should be apologising to good old Bill S. as well.

Come on folks, there are no more "original" stories out there. They've all been told.

-Lyle J.P.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Lyle,

Did William Shakespeare tell his stories with lions, lions who rule prides with the help of magical monkeys and annoying parrots, whose fathers are killed by evil uncles with a scar over his eye?

Nope,but Tezuka did

Disney owes the man putting his name on the movie. That's the minimum we're asking. All we really want is his name on the film

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Sorry, but I seem to remember Kimba's father being shot by hunters. Not that I don't see any other similarities.

Kimba takes me waaayyy back to fond early childhood memories. Maybe it's the reason why I like Lion King so much.

c

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think the Lion King specs will be astounding. This film is above and beyond their biggest "new" Disney film. Perhaps their biggest period. Only Beauty & the Beast with it's Oscar Nomination comes close. I expect LK Platinum to be one of their very best DVDs, period.

I can't wait for LK, Aladdin, and Treasure Planet in IMAX!

Brad M

Second Unit
Disney's Most Requested Film Ever (as mentioned on the teaser)

I picked up 101 Dalmations 2 a little early and popped it in to see what previews it has on it. The last preview before it takes you to the main menu is The Lion King: Special Edition. Then I read that it might not be a Platinum Edition release. In the teaser it does not mention Platinum. It is billed as a Special Edition with a new song and footage added. If it's not a Platinum, does that mean no original theatrical cut? This should be interesting to watch. Just thought I'd pass it along.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
"Special Edition" refers to the cut of the film. The DVD will be a Platinum Edition. Beauty and the Beast was advertised the same way.

The one thing I hope for is the original 1994 theatrical cut, as is, with original studio logos, and with no added scenes, in the best quality possible. If they decide to incorporate the new scene into the film, it should be only as an OPTION, and not the default choice.

It really pisses me off that Disney feels they have to tinker with the film to sell copies. Hello? It's The Lion King, the highest-grossing animated film and top-selling videocassette of all time. Give us the original film (and that includes the original 1.66:1 aspect ratio), and people will be happy!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and in the way of new extra features. Producer Don Hahn was quoted in some article (which I haven't been able to acess) in the OC Register:

Don Hahn on The Lion King Imax & DVD Releases
Producer Don Hahn told the OC Register that "we debated [adding new scenes]. Essentially, we decided to leave it alone. We said, let's just do the restoration." So the colors are sharper and the details more detailed, and the soundtrack has been remixed. Eager to capitalize on the film's success, Disney has also produced a wealth of tie-in products for the film, shooting documentary footage in Africa and an interview with soundtrack composer Elton John for inclusion in a DVD release next fall. "The list [of DVD extras] is a mile long," Hahn said, before confirming that the next Disney animated hit to get the Imax treatment would be Aladdin.

James Reader

Screenwriter
A IMAX special version of The Lion King is set to be released on December 25, 2002 with a re-recorded version of Circle of Life. The IMAX version will contain digital enhancements and touch-ups to allow for the increased screen size. For example, faces will be drawn in for characters who were too small to have one in the standard 1994 releases
I also understand that various 'special effects' have been redone for IMAX - there is supposedly an extra section of credits at the end for the new special effects team.

It is possible that an additional musical number will be on the DVD release - they were going to put a new song in but weren't able to (due to time I assume). But it will be on the DVD.

See Here

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"The list [of DVD extras] is a mile long," Hahn said, before confirming that the next Disney animated hit to get the Imax treatment would be Aladdin.
There was a trailer for the Aladdin IMAX release before The Lion King IMAX. I can't wait!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
None of the essential enhancements for IMAX bothered me, since it was just making things detailed for IMAX. (I couldn't really notice any differences with the whiskers, etc.)

However, changing the dust in the sky was unnecessary, as was the Mufasa in the clouds scene. And the studio logo. :)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
What dose the dust in the sky say in the IMAX version?
Nothing. Certainly nothing that can be misconstrued as SEX. Although perhaps someone will magnify, rotate and find some hidden satanic message once the DVD comes out. :D

Brad M

Second Unit
I also noticed on The Lion King teaser on 101 Dalmations 2 it says coming October 2003. Not November or December as is posted at thedigitalbits.com

And yes, it does mention the movie contains a new song and animation.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
What dose the dust in the sky say in the IMAX version?
It originally said "SFX", but so many people don't know how to read, or on some kind of "religious" crusade against Disney that they have to attack the company at every chance, that they thought it said "SEX". Since so many people thought it said SEX, Disney changed it in the IMAX release.

SFX was the name of one of the effects houses that handled some of the scenes in the movie.

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of who ripped off who ---

So Much for the BONO ACT!

Sorta' like CBS sueing ABC for ripping off "Survivor"

Remember the old addage "there is nothing new under the sun".

Let's face it folks 90% of our entertainment is some kind or reformulation of something else.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks