1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Men With Brooms" - a new Canadian Classic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott McGillivray, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Well-Known Member

A new movie is coming out called "Men With Brooms". I saw the trailer a couple of times recently and it looks like it could be a really funny and charming movie. It co-stars and was directed by Paul Gross of TV's "Due South" fame. I also has Leslie Neilson in it. It revolves around a group of guys who are getting back together after many years to become curling champions. Of course, there is the usual love interests and side plots, but curling looks to stand front and center. Those of us from Canada know just how seriously many folks here take curling. My parents are glued to the TV when any serious tournaments are on. It is like the SuperBowl to them!
    From what I have seen and read about this film, I think it should have gain a good cult following. It is not going to blockbuster status, but could very well sneak in as another Canadian Classic.
    You can read more about it here:
    http://www.paulgross.org/mwbpr.html

2. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

It is also worth noting that the great Canadian band The Tragically Hip have been working on the soundtrack for the film, which means all new songs! Plus, they are actually featured in a cameo in the movie. As far as I understand it they appear as a rival curling team

3. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

Personally, I can't wait to see this film. I love Paul Gross from his "Due South" Mountie days and am glad to see that he is gracing the silver screen. I enjoyed the trailer to this film both times that I saw it, and look forward to this new Canadian comedy/romance.

Come on fellow Cannucks, let's hear it for curling, eh?

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Well-Known Member

Just saw the trailer today before Lord of the Rings. Men with Brooms looks plenty funny. I wonder if it'll get distributed or even catch on south of the border.

I think its definitely one for a look see.

Patrick

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good, and ANYTHING with Molly Parker has my immediate interest. HOTTIE!!! [​IMG]
    Not to change the subject, but this looks a LOT better than the lousy trailer for "Duct Tape Forever" starring Red Green, that's running at Famous Players theaters. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a real movie actually coming out.
    Jay

6. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Well-Known Member

I was not able to find an "official" web site for this movie. If anyone can track it down, please let us know!

7. Jason Whyte

Or if anyone finds a good Molly Parker site (I know about the one, but dammit, I want more pictures!) [​IMG]
    I'm sure the offical site will go up pretty quickly, but if I see the trailer again I'll look for a URL.
    Jay

8. Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M Well-Known Member

I saw this trailer before Lord of the Rings and laughed the whole way through. Has it opened yet? If not when will it open? I especially liked Leslie Nielson, "Purely medicinal, of course." [​IMG]
    I can't wait to see it.
    Seb

9. Jason Whyte

[​IMG]
    Just doing a much-needed bump for this thread -- the movie opens WIDE, VERY VERY wide across Canada today. In fact, this may be one of the largest openings for a film I've ever seen that has NO distributor whatsoever in the US.
    Oversaturation, perhaps? It would appear so -- here are excerpts from two VERY scathing reviews on MYBC.com:

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Well-Known Member

Saw it opening night! I loved it, but I admit bias because I'm a curler since the seventh grade, which was a very long-ago time. It's not perfect, or original, but it does have a very Canadian charm to it.
    The biggest problems with the movie are the very pointless and thankfully very rare attempts at grade-school toilet humor, and the fact that they use every single sports cliche in the book. But then, every sports movie has 'em, so hard to fault Men With Brooms on it.
    I thought it was fun, let's leave it at that. Don't go into it expecting anything Academy Award quality, but just something light-hearted and enjoyable. I liked it better than Mystery, Alaska, if that helps [​IMG]

11. RicP

RicP Well-Known Member

So us south of the border are going to have to wait for DVD? Or do I have to drive to Niagra again. [​IMG]

12. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

I'm even going to see this one, which is sure to surprise a few people. Really, a silly comedy about curling full of new Hip songs. How can I possibly resist that? [​IMG]
    Was anyone really expecting good reviews?

13. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Well-Known Member

Aaron Reynolds
    If it performs well at the Canadian box office, they'll shoot for a US release. Otherwise, it'll go straight to video/cable.

-Aaron

14. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Well-Known Member

Even if this movie did well at the canadian box office I can't imagine it would get a US release.

There's a lot of "canadian" jokes, kinda like how the Kids in the Hall talking about the weather is hilarious to Canadians but it's kinda lost on americans who don't get to listen to our banter every day.

As well the stabs at NASA wouldn't go over too well.

I saw this movie last night and the theater was pretty much empty, to be expected on a sunday i suppose. It was a good movie, as mentioned above don't go in with high expectations. There's some really good lines and the premise, albeit ridiculous, is pulled off pretty well.

I heard Gord Downey is in this movie but I couldn't pick him out, anyone see him?

15. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Well-Known Member

"It's DUE SOUTH Meets THE MATRIX! Explosive!!"

16. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Well-Known Member

This movie was terrible. SO bad that it had me thinking for a second that it was worse than Crossroads..which after some thought was changed [​IMG] . Avoid this film at all costs. And how could you miss Gord Downie?. The Whole band was introduced as representing Hamilton or something like that!

17. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Well-Known Member

oh ya...i went to the bathroom and when i came back my girl said something about how i missed the best entrance in canadian history, i forgot to ask her about it later

18. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Well-Known Member