What's new

Men in Trees ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone catch this last night (Tuesday). It is pretty much a women's version of Northern Exposure. The show will normally be shown on Friday. I will probably give it a couple of more looks. It's nice to see John Amos back on TV.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It was better than most pilots I've seen. It has potential, if they amp up the quirky. I really enjoyed the stalking raccoon and seeing Abraham Benrubi in a TV series again.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The pilot felt heavily edited, with no real connective tissue between her appearances at the various locales. It was pretty much like watching an extended version of the teasers that have been running. But I enjoyed it and think it has potential (and I have a soft spot for Heche).

I heard a bit on NPR where the commentator had a problem with the cheesy bit with the road signs. DUH! That was the point. She's a cheesy relationship coach with who gets a rude awakening.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was okay, and Friday night it probably the best night for it because it'd be slaughter on other nights this season. Some of it felt a bit like other Alaskan show, Northern Exposure. I'm not sure it'll survive the season, though. I was rooting for the raccoon.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I thought it felt too much like NE, although I don't know yet if that will be a good or bad thing. I couldn't help but point out which MIT character is similar to which one from NE.

I still enjoyed it, though.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
For those among us who missed it the first time, the pilot is being re-aired tonight, Friday, at 8/7c right before the premiere of episode 2 at its regular night and time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw the 2nd episode, and there's something grating on my nerves when I watch this show, can't quite put my finger on it yet. I just know I'm not quite 'into' the show, there's still this layer of 'stuff' that impacts my viewing of the show.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am a big fan of Northern Exposure. I guess this is why I am going to give this one a chance. It certainly had a lot of things is common. So much so, I think it is more like an homage to NE. I think as long as the producers/writers don't try and claim otherwise, I am ok with it.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and was pleasantly surprised.

I admit I am not a big fan of Anne H. She is a bit whacky for me. Knowing about her drunken/drugged out episode she had a while back makes her less likable. I think I will be able to get past that, but like I said in another post, it is hard to get past first impressions.

Knowing her sexual preferences, I fully expected this show to be nothing but man bashing. So far, that has not happened. It was pretty balanced. I hope they can keep it that way. I still haven't quite got where this show is going. Is it going to be about the mens side of life, or is it going to be about helping the men change to get more women to move there?

It had its humorous moments. I agree with an earlier post that I hope it gets a bit more surreal or quirky, like NE.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

1) She is married to a man and has a child with him.

2) Even if she were a lesbian this does not mean she inherently "hates men."

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I admit I had no idea that she chose a different orientation again. Sorry for that screwup.

She isn't exactly stable. Here is what she said about herself:

And I stand by my opinion that lesbians do not like men. Or at least, do not have the same knowlege about men.

All of this being said, I am still going to watch the show.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
John Amos had some good lines in the ep.

The second ep had a better narrative thread than the pilot. Part of me balks a bit at the heavy metaphors (e.g. the loss of power) but I can overlook it.

I think it's more the former based on last night's ep. So far the men have been the primary advice givers and I thought the final narration about her finding her way with the help of some good men was telling (and refreshing). No man bashing in sight as far as I can tell.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought the most significant line in the pilot was when the ex-ER actor (now a bartender) said "women want it all, men can't give it to them." This leads me to believe the show will be more about her awakening and growth, than about changing the men in her life.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong:)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I love the parts where the guys in the bar comment about men and relationships—clearly they all know more about relationships (even without any) than the coach.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That might be true of her personal life, but that doesn't mean she's not a good actress.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I agree. If an actor is great on the screen, should I mind that their personal life has issues?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Remember when she starred opposite Harrison Ford and everyone wondered if she would be able to play a heterosexual? :rolleyes

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Ok, enough bashing my opinion. :angry:

Like I said before, I am going to watch it a couple more times. The show has promise. Some of the characters look like they might be fun to watch.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I like her and thats why i watched it. Pretty good so far. A bit different then all the other stuff on. We'll see how it goes. I liked lost at first and then it lost me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/6/06

Patrick standing outside with his hand stuck in the condom vending machine could be this generation's "Say Anything" moment (with John Cusack standing outside the rain with the boom box over his head).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks