What's new

"Memoirs of an Invisible Man" DVD becomes visible – August 19th (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I think this is the only theatrical release of John Carpenter's never to see a DVD release (yet.)

It's certainly not his best film but gosh darn it, I am aiming to have a complete collection of his work.

Warner Brothers owns it so hopefully they'll trot this sucker out before I die (in widescreen please.)

I always look past Chevy Chase and concentrate on one of my all time favorite actors, Sam Neill. He's an evil SOB ain't he?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
FWIW, WB released it theatrically, as well as on VHS and LD. I haven't seen this in years, and I didn't care for it when I did, but I'd probably pick up a DVD for the sake of completeness of my Carpenter collection. This was, I think, the only film not to be titled "John Carpenter's...," so I'm not sure if that indicates an unhappiness with the project such that he wouldn't provide assistance for the DVD release (commentary, etc.). If he did a commentary, however, it'd become a must-buy for me.

DJ

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'd be happy with a bare bones disc.....again, as long as it's widescreen but yeah, a Carpenter commentary would be awfully nice.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
As the completist -- save for "Village of the Damned," which even I can't watch a second time -- I'll get this if OAR. I'm also hoping Warners releases Cronenberg's "M. Butterfly" sometime in the future too, though I'm not holding my breath.++++

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...but gosh darn it
HEY! WATCH YOUR DIRTY MOUTH!! ;)
Even though it is my least favorite Carpenter film I would have a perfect collection with this so bring it on, as long as it has a nice OAR transfer and decent sound I will be happy.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I actually like this JC film quite a bit (it's an interesting mix of comedy romance and sinister horror film) and would love the chance to own it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'd probably buy it. Not the best movie. (The book it is based on is FAR superior, and far more serious...) But it was a decent flick. And it was JC. After his comments about widescreen a while back...I'll support him in just about anything. ;)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
If anyone here has not yet read William Goldman's WHICH LIE DID I TELL, I highly reccomend picking it up. Goldman was the screenwriter on this film, and it's production was a troubled one. I think it had alot to do with Chevy Chase and his intentions for the film. I think Carpenter was called in to replace a director. Anyway, there may be the possibility that Carpenter is not real keen on this flick, as it seems he had a bad experience making it. Then again, I could remember wrong.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Did anyone read the book? Alot more sinister and horrorfying than the movie. Chevy Chase was totally miscast.

I think JC totally missed the point.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Did anyone read the book? Alot more sinister and horrorfying than the movie. Chevy Chase was totally miscast.
I agree it has a different tone from the book, and I have to remind myself I'm watching a John Carpenter film. Still, its a "guilty pleasure."

BTW, a while back I decided I wanted to re-read the book and found it was out-of-print. I managed to find a used copy and enjoyed it for the second time. I'm sure I'll read it again.

Haden

Supporting Actor
It's a hell of a lot better than Hollow Man though, doing a lot more with the aspects of being invisible. I also think it's the last decent film Chevy Chase did before his career and reputation went down the drain as a has-been. T

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
You know, I actually liked this film quite a bit. I thought it started out like a semi-comedy, but then took a turn to light horror and ended up as a sort of "Bondish"-Thriller. It reminds me a little of "Frighteners" (minus the "Bond" stuff:)), which I didn't like at all at first.
I also didn't know that John Carpenter was involved with the movie at all until I read this thread. WOW!
Yeah, I'd buy it if it was done correctly, even it was a Movie Only disc.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I read the book too!

The "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" movie didn't live up to my expectations as well as say, another book-turned-into-a-movie, "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"; and the latter must have been a much greater undertaking than the former.

For those interested and not as lucky as Johnny Angell, who found a used copy, Reader's Digest has a condensed version in their Condensed Books series.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
There was a great HBO "First Look" documentary on Memoirs of an Invisible Man. It even had Mel Gibson driving Chevy Chase around the backlot of Warner Bros and had John Carpenter getting ready to hop into a helicopter to go to the set. It would HAVE to be included in a future DVD release. It's just too entertaining!

A commentary is a must-have as well. Chevy and Carpenter would be very interesting indeed.

Come on Warner Bros...where is this one?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I remember that HBO first look. They must include it just so they can have "Fantastic Extras!!" on the package.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
that is one of the best makings of ever, plus i just love this beautiful scope film

i think ill go pop my laserdisc of it in....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For those interested and not as lucky as Johnny Angell, who found a used copy, Reader's Digest has a condensed version in their Condensed Books series.
Just go to Amazon. You can find used copies there. One suggestion though, find the book there, then go directly to the used book merchant web site to buy. You will save $$ that way because Amazon adds a large shipping and handling fee.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Couldn't agree with ya more Eric. The movie was so much LESS sinister and so much more...fluffy. (Although Ms. Hannah was nice...uh...eye-candy...hee!)
I didn't know the book was OOP. Glad I still have a copy...it's one I've read a couple of times now.
The movie has it's fun moments...but it sure ain't the book. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks