1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Megaforce Baby!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Martin, May 27, 2003.

1. TommyT

TommyT Well-Known Member

Tom
    Ahhhhhh, Megaforce! When I was a young'un 20 yrs ago, this was the coolest thing ever! [​IMG] Haven't seen this one in at least 7 yrs, that's the last time I remember it being on late night tv. My favorite part in that video clip is where those 2 rockets fly off wildly. The contrails are hilarious!
    Anyone remember Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn about a year after this one? Even [rant]cheesier!!![/rant]
    Other cheeseball 80s flicks:
    The Sword & the Sorcerer (1982)
    Krull (1983)
    Buckaroo Banzai (1983)
    Runaway (1984)
    Cat's Eye (1985)
    Enemy Mine (1985)
    Lifeforce (1985)
    Rambo (1985)
    The Toxic Avenger (1985)
    Shoot to Killl (1988)
    Deep Star Six (1989)
    Leviathan (1989)

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

I was going to disagree with some of Tommy's "Cheesy" list but first I want to ask the other posters exactly how they define a "cheesy film"?
    To me Cheesy implies incompetence or unintentional humor, and with that definition I would definitely not call Buckaroo Banzai "cheesy", it may be many things but IMO incompetent & unintentionally funny ain't one of them. It was exactly as over the top as the filmmakers wanted it to be.

3. TommyT

TommyT Well-Known Member

Tom
    Heh heh, I KNEW when I put Banzai in there someone from its cult following would call me on it! But I put it in anyway.[​IMG] Seems when I was growing up (during the 80s) there was a plethora of bad sci-fi/action flicks that tried desperately to cash in on the immediate success of Star Wars. Krull is a perfect example. Banzai gives us aliens shooting paralyzing spiders from their mouths, John Lithgow playing a schizophrenic alien sympathizer with an outrageous German brogue, Banzai is a brilliant neurosurgeon, band leader & gunfighter, "No matter where you go, there you are", weird ships that look like either uprooted treestumps or mutant ginger roots.
    I always thought Banzai was pretty dull but how can anyone deny the fact that it's pure cheddar?

4. BradD

BradD Well-Known Member

Actually Krull isn't that bad. I wouldn't call it cheesy either.

5. Kevin M

Ok, read this description you just gave...

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Well-Known Member

Wellll... KRULL is pretty heavily influenced by STAR WARS, but I also think it's pretty darned entertaining. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid so I rented it not too long ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It ain't art, mind you, but it completely succeeds in being a rip-roaring popcorn fantasy film. Plus the Glaive(?) kicked all sorts of ass.

7. TommyT

TommyT Well-Known Member

Tom
    Actually, I meant that Krull was heavily influenced by The Holy Trilogy, not Banzai. Banzai's still cheesy tho. I think the story's flimsy & fairly incoherent, the direction was weak, the acting was weak & the overall silliness (which is intentional but in a meaningful way) is appealing to a small cult but not myself. I can enjoy it on late-night TV every now & then but it isn't the type of film I could watch repeatedly & enjoy.

What's MY definition of cheesy cinema? Here's one point I consider:

Overdrama - Are the actors, director, & producer taking the story concept too seriously? This was the case in Van Helsing. In Robocop the guys who made it refuse to take the idea of a cyborg cop seriously, hence the film is actually a live action comic book. Other examples of overdrama: Hellraiser 1 & 2, The Doors, any Steven Seagal film, Cliffhanger, Waterworld, Independence Day, Deep Impact, Armageddon & esp Gone With the Wind.

8. Kevin M

9. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Well-Known Member

10. Spero D

Spero D Well-Known Member

Is this cheesy film on DVD yet?

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Nope, but I was looking at the poster on another site, and it bears all the hallmarks of Grade A cheese:
    1. Cheesy tagline "There has never been a superhero like Ace Hunter!"
    2. Cheesy poster art
    3. More than 3 screenwriters, including the producer and director

12. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Active Member

To the post from two years ago, I wish I could tell you who sang the theme song. I made some poor music store clerk track it down for me while my Mother waired patiently in the wings. I lost the 45 years ago, before I could transfer it to mp3. Would love to hear "...like a Megaforce!!" again by this Survivor wanna be band. I'll try to find it on the net though.

13. Kevin M

I played the 2600 game of this cheesy film not too long ago....it was..well...cheddar like.

14. rockinricky

rockinricky Well-Known Member

Both songs "Megaforce" and "Calling On You" were done by a band called 707. I remember seeing them open for REO Speedwagon on the Hi Infidelity tour, and 707's vocalist explained what happened with the song. At the time, 707 had a hit with "I Could Be Good For You".

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I would love to get this, and Metalstorm.. I was a total Whore for Metalstorm when it came out. I loved it.

16. AaronMan

AaronMan Well-Known Member

Aaron
    I hunted for Megaforce a few years ago and finally found a VHS copy of it. I will say this about it. If you can last all the way through it, you deserve a medal. Megaforce borders on unwatchable. About 99% of it is sleep inducing. This film is extremely boring. Its not even "so bad its good", its just bad.

So you want to know what that 1% is that makes this film worth owning? The reward for sticking with it to the end is watching Bostwick navigate his flying motorbike into a C-130 while the rest of the Megaforce team are cheering for him. This sequence is priceless and is totally worth putting up with the previous 90 minutes of awfulness.

If you looking for the King of Camp, try locating Starcrash. That one is absolute gold. Of course, Flash Gordon is a close second...

17. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Well-Known Member

YES! Oh my god!

Somehow this movie slipped past me in the 80's (although I did play the 2600 game like it was going out of style), but I didnt see it until just a year or two ago. A horrible, painful train wreck of a movie that no force on earth will stop me from buying the day it hits the street!

18. Tony J Case

"Rise! Rise from your grave!"

/em thread necromancy

So I saw a DVD copy of Megaforce a couple of days at Scarecrow, imported from Germany (I think - it had a .de URL on the back). Has anyone heard anything about this? Hows it look? Any extras? Should I keep holding on for the R1 version that never showed?

19. Tony J Case

So, with the new release of Megaforce on DVD . . . has anyone gotten it yet? Please god, let this thing be full of extras and commentaries and stuff! At the very least I need - NEED - the amazingly awesome trailer!!!
    !!!
    I did eventually get the PAL version from Germany - but a fully loaded NTSC version would rock.

20. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Well-Known Member

Sorry, guys, but it's a barebones release from Hen's Tooth, no trailers, no commentaries, no nothing. But a decent anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.78:1 aspect ratio). Bostwick's blond styling is...something else. And it did inspire TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE, which is almost as funny. :)