What's new

Meet the Robinsons (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Has anyone seen anything about this one yet, or know much about it?

I caught a trailer for it online - the best part is definitely the dinosaur and how he can't catch the kid and he says its because he has a big head and little arms. It looks like a really cute movie, and the graphics look outstanding. Someone told me its based on a book?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I've seen that trailer in theaters maybe 3 or 4 times, and the dinosaur bit never fails to crack up the audience. That was definitely the highlight. I thought the rest of the trailer looked...busy.

The Kerasotes theaters in town have also been playing a riff on "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" with the frogs from this movie to tell audiences to turn off cellphones, be respectful, and so on.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I've heard about the singing frogs trailer, but I haven't seen it myself yet. I hope I will soon, because it actually sounds cute, and like it's an inventive way to do the please don't be a jerk and leave your cell phone on kind of PSA instead of the ones that look like the come from the 1950s. (Maybe that's just my theater?)

The dinosaur just looks so awesome - they had an ad for it on during the Super Bowl yesterday with the T Rex breakdancing at the end, which was also adorable. I hope the TRex is in the movie a lot - I like the colorful supporting characters that are usually in movies like this. (Also, I could use that caffeine patch thing-y right about now...)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
This will be the widest Digital 3-D release yet. I've heard they are shooting for 500 screens, but I'm not sure if they'll make it. In any case, it will play on significantly more screens in 3-D than CHICKEN LITTLE, MONSTER HOUSE or NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS did.

The 3-D trailer shown with some of the movies mentioned above was pretty good.

Naturally there will be a flat 2-D version also.

Variety has a nice long article today about the digital 3-D revolution.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Oh, I'd heard that they were going to do Disney Digital 3-d for this - I think that's awesome, I heard from a coworker that Nightmare in 3-D was really fun. And, I bet that the futuristic looking buildings and stuff in MTR will look good in 3-D, you know?

If you wouldnt mind passing along that Variety article, I'd love to read it!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
after seeing Monster House and Nightmare in 3D and considering this has a great trailer (big head and stubby arms! aawwrrer) I'll definitely be checking out my first Disney feature animation on opening weekend since Atlantis.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for this to come out... because I'm sick to death of seeing the trailer on Disney DVDs! They've been running it for MONTHS and MONTHS! Yeesh...

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the frogs link - awwww, how cute is that? I like that it introduces you to some of the movie characters (i've seen the frogs on the poster), and the film, and actually might do a public service by getting people to turn off their stupid phones during the movie! (And, you know, I like frogs. Cute!)

I like that it looks like a movie that has jokes for both the kids and the adults in the audience.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I got to see an early sneak peak of this (in 3-D no less!) and I thought that it was really pretty good. It's a really cute movie, and the ending is surprisingly touching - I was so surprised by how everything came back around and tied together. (I may have "awwwwed" quite a bit, as well.) The characters are, as you might expect, very bright and colorful (both literally and figuratively), and they're pretty funny. The Robinson family is a little bit strange, but charmingly so. The best part for me, hands down, was Bowler Hat Guy who is just fabulous (I wish he could have been in more of the movie, because I loved watching that character.)

I hadn't seen a 3-D movie in a really long time, but that part was fun. I mean, 3-D glasses pretty much can't be beat anyway. But, the 3-D didn't feel "gimmicky" to me, if you know what I mean, it wasn't, like, oh look we're putting this in 3-D because we can - I thought it worked really well with the animation, and added a lot of depth to it (at points it felt like your seats were in the Robinsons yard).

In short: I really liked it. :)

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Kind of related to the film:

My local theatre just got a 3-D/digital projector installed for this. Disney is mandating at least a six-week run for the film, and raising prices a meaty $2.50 per ticket for that 3-D print. (Is the price jump normal for a non-IMAX 3-D run?) Disney sunk $750k into the installation of the projector and special screen. Compare that to the other chain in town, where I saw Episode III digitally for the same price as a 35mm print.

As if people couldn't complain enough about the prices... I tend to work during the day, the seniors constantly bitch about it. And guess who works on Friday afternoon to deal with the gripery?

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

It is really cute, and I think your kids'll probably really like it. It's got a good story (and a good message, about family and figuring out that you're going to fail sometimes chasing your dream) and, I can't get over how touched I was by the way the ending tied everything up so nicely. I'm a big sap, yeah, but I totally awwed over it.

The 3-D part's IS pretty fun though, if they're offering that in your area.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Sounds like it's right up my alley Abby. I'm a sucker for stuff like this...really look forward to it and your enthusiasm about it has me even more pumped. :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
they're showing this with the chip n dale donald duck classic stereoscopic short from the fifties (in disney digital 3d) at the el capitan in hollywood, I wonder if it'll be attached to all the 3d prints? or exclusive to the el capitan.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D last fall, they jacked the price up as well. That was fun but not really impressive 3D since they were working from a 2D source. I think "Meet the Robinsons" looks absolutely abysmal, but the 3D should be amazing.

GregK

Screenwriter

The Chip N Dale 1953 3-D short "Working For Peanuts" is slated to be included with all Digital 3-D showings of Meet the Robinsons.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Excellent! now I don't have to pay outrageous El Capitan prices to see it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks