What's new

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
Sure, it was The Adventures of Tin-Tin.
I was interested in it but then i read it was all depth and no pop out and didn't purchase it so i haven't watched it yet, i guess from your post it doesn't even have good depth going for it and it's a title that i'll probably end up watching in 2D.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This seems like a good time to mention something regarding the "pop out factor". Years ago, when 3D TV was in its' infancy, and there were no TVs on the market yet, my local high end home theater store had a demo of the 3D technology. They had a long semi-trailer parked in their lot and invited people to come in and check out the images. Now, I could be wrong, cause my memory is not what it used to be, but what I remember was that the images on the screen, ALL popped out. It did not look as if the TV had depth, it looked like all the images floated out in FRONT of the TV, all the time. I left shaking my head in amazement. Perhaps my memory is wrong, or the technology was changed, or it was too expensive, etc, but todays 3D TV sets do not look at all like the demo I saw that day.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Many of the older IMAX 3D films were shot like that with all the imaging being forward the screen plane. I recall really liking this in your face 3D presentation but it does not work as well on small screens. Only when your entire field of view is covered does this seem to work best.

I still find it amazing how the IMAX 3D countdown title used sometimes before the 3D feature is such a great demo of in your face 3D that after viewing it it's kind downhill as regards to depth and 3D fun afterwards. I know it is on a couple of the IMAX bluray releases and has that same effect at home.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Richard V said:
This seems like a good time to mention something regarding the "pop out factor". Years ago, when 3D TV was in its' infancy, and there were no TVs on the market yet, my local high end home theater store had a demo of the 3D technology. They had a long semi-trailer parked in their lot and invited people to come in and check out the images. Now, I could be wrong, cause my memory is not what it used to be, but what I remember was that the images on the screen, ALL popped out. It did not look as if the TV had depth, it looked like all the images floated out in FRONT of the TV, all the time. I left shaking my head in amazement. Perhaps my memory is wrong, or the technology was changed, or it was too expensive, etc, but todays 3D TV sets do not look at all like the demo I saw that day.
I remember my first look at 3D TV and it was also in a trailer and I think it was a Mitsubishi rear projection TV.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
SFMike said:
Many of the older IMAX 3D films were shot like that with all the imaging being forward the screen plane. I recall really liking this in your face 3D presentation but it does not work as well on small screens. Only when your entire field of view is covered does this seem to work best. I still find it amazing how the IMAX 3D countdown title used sometimes before the 3D feature is such a great demo of in your face 3D that after viewing it it's kind downhill as regards to depth and 3D fun afterwards. I know it is on a couple of the IMAX bluray releases and has that same effect at home.
The image from many of the 3D titles I watch on my Panasonic AE8000 projector appear to be floating a few inches from the wall.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
SFMike said:
Many of the older IMAX 3D films were shot like that with all the imaging being forward the screen plane. I recall really liking this in your face 3D presentation but it does not work as well on small screens. Only when your entire field of view is covered does this seem to work best. I still find it amazing how the IMAX 3D countdown title used sometimes before the 3D feature is such a great demo of in your face 3D that after viewing it it's kind downhill as regards to depth and 3D fun afterwards. I know it is on a couple of the IMAX bluray releases and has that same effect at home.
The image from many of the 3D titles I watch on my Panasonic AE8000 projector appear to be floating a few inches from the wall.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been absent from the HTF for a while, and have been making my way through all the posts I've missed... this thread was well worth an afternoon to catch up. I can't wait for Bob Furmanek's releases to come out - those will all be Day 1 blind buys for me. I can't express how much I appreciate the work he's been doing. I've been into 3D as long as I can remember (the magazine scans from much earlier in the thread reminded me of an anaglyph Gumby comic I used to have!), and was lucky enough to catch a lot of the Film Forum's classic 3D retrospective back in 2010 (even the lesser films were great theater-going experiences). I'm grateful for the work being done - wish there was something more I could do to help.
SFMike said:
I still find it amazing how the IMAX 3D countdown title used sometimes before the 3D feature is such a great demo of in your face 3D that after viewing it it's kind downhill as regards to depth and 3D fun afterwards.
I've noticed that they've recently (within the past year or two) started scaling back the IMAX countdown, I'm guessing precisely so it doesn't overwhelm the film. It used to be that it would show in full 1.44:1 IMAX before a film of any ratio, and now they have different versions so that the aspect ratio of the countdown matches the aspect ratio of the film. So no more full giant screen IMAX logos before a 2.35:1 film. I get why they do it, but I have to admit I kinda miss seeing the largest version of it.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Josh Steinberg said:
I've noticed that they've recently (within the past year or two) started scaling back the IMAX countdown, I'm guessing precisely so it doesn't overwhelm the film. It used to be that it would show in full 1.44:1 IMAX before a film of any ratio, and now they have different versions so that the aspect ratio of the countdown matches the aspect ratio of the film. So no more full giant screen IMAX logos before a 2.35:1 film. I get why they do it, but I have to admit I kinda miss seeing the largest version of it.
Right....you can't top the 1:44:1 version with your feature. They showed this version before the IMAX3D showing of "Avatar" and I remember when Jake was first entering his avatar's body there was a light tunnel kind of effect and there was so much less depth to it than in the tunnel effect in the countdown. I felt this was a real missed opportuinty by James Cameron to highlight the 3D effect. I agree with others that much of the public's dissatisfiction of 3D is lack of pop-out. If you pay extra for 3D you should be noticing the effect.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I saw Stalingrad in Imax 3D on March 2, 2014, at the Regal Palladium theater in High Point, NC. They ran the Imax countdown in 3D.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
It's interesting that I read yesterday that the blu-ray of Stalingrad has been announced without a 3D version being made available. This trend continues to suck.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I've always enjoyed the 1961 Canadian film "The Mask" and although it was the only film I saw as a kid with anaglyph sequences I though they were very weird and creative. It would be great if the original right and left views or the 3D sequences could be found so we could have a blu-ray 3D version of this film. It spooked me out as a kid and would be popular with all those 3D pop-out lovers out there.

Bob, have you heard any rumors about this possibility?

"Put the mask on, NOW!"

mask_poster_01.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, we're working on that one. No further information is available right now. I'll be sure to post any updates.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Thanks Bob. I think folks would enjoy this bizzare little film. I still treasure my red and green mask viewer.

htf_imgcache_39199.jpg

GregK

Screenwriter
As Bob noted, there's not much to post at the moment on this title, but be assured when the 3-D Film Archive moves on THE MASK, it also will have a superior 3-D bluray presentation on tap which hands down will be the best THE MASK has *ever* looked in 3-Dimensions.

SFMike said:
Thanks Bob. I think folks would enjoy this bizzare little film. I still treasure my red and green mask viewer.

attachicon.gif
htf_imgcache_39199.jpg

GregK

Screenwriter
Todd J Moore said:
You mean you aren't working to restore Domo Arigato?

I'm disappointed. Sort of. Kind of. Not really.
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:16px;]Now Todd, you know the Archive could not do anything with DOMO ARIGATO unless it at least had a chance to work on your other two 3-D favorites: THE NEBRASKAN and THE STEWARDESSES.[/color]. ;) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks