1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Yes, it opens with a canon firing at the audience and then the main title.

It had some sub-run flat bookings, but most of the first and second run engagements were 3-D. Coming so early in the cycle, it had a very wide release.

Fort-web.jpg

Doug Bull likes this.
  2. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    You have to feel sorry for the poor old Ranger, although it serves him right for being Cinematically recruited. :huh:

fort ti.jpg

Doug.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Wonderful, thanks Doug. Right back at you!

Fort Ti Spokesman Review 7.9.53 b.GIF

Doug Bull likes this.
  4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So...what are the odds I'm ever going to see Fort Ti released on an optical disc anytime down the road???

Or even broadcast on TV?

5. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

At this stage, not very likely.

The studio has not even prepared a 3-D master. It's not considered one of the "important" titles in their 3-D library...

6. Doug Bull

Doug Bull
    I'm going out to the shed tomorrow and retrieve my ancient "Fort Ti" 3D VHS tape. :D

I enjoyed the newspaper clipping Bob.
    You have to love 50's Speak.

Doug.

7. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Well-Known Member

Paul Hillenbrand
    Very disappointing information :unsure:, especially with blurbs of CES 2014 exhibiting sharp quality glasses-free displays that will be in the consumers reach in only a few months. It could bring back western's big time. :)

8. GregK

GregK Well-Known Member

Count me in as another one who really enjoys FORT TI. Sony had struck new prints roughly ten years ago, which looked amazing when shown at the first World 3-D Film Expo. I really wish I could have seen it again, and think that is the last time it has been shown in public in polarized 3-D.

Doug, if the anaglyphic television broadcast of FORT TI is the same one that was televised in parts of Europe, I suspect there will be disappoint ahead. Not only was there excessive ghosting, but that given transfer suffered from extensive vertical misalignment and in some sections was also out of sync. The version I saw was not even close to representing what I saw in 2003.

9. Doug Bull

Doug Bull
    Greg, I'm guessing it was the same one as shown in Europe.

I attempted to joke about it on the previous page. (post #954)

Yes, I remember it was pretty much unwatchable. (and my VHS copy would be even worse)

Doug.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It really is a shame.

It is a film on a topic of which I am quite interested...and yet have never seen.

I'm not really into 3-D...so would be thrilled to even receive a 2-D presentation on disc sometime. Maybe a MOD program?!?

11. GregK

GregK Well-Known Member

You were correct Doug- Some things should remain buried! :3dglasses:
    Anaglyph 3DTV was far from desirable, especially in the old analog days when 3/4" U-Matic and 1" videotape were the actual video masters.

Here in the States, Rich Koz (aka: The Son of Svengoolie) would host horror shows and while being based out of Chicago, was also syndicated in a number of other cities. In the summer of '82 Koz hyped the Chicago 3DTV premiere of "Revenge of the Creature".

[​IMG]

The result? A civil action lawsuit for those who shelled out 89 cents for 3-D glasses, but didn't get enough of "a 3-D effect". I don't think the lawsuit ever went anywhere, but can ...somewhat understand their frustration. Even when these 3D broadcasts sort of worked, it was borderline at best. :blink:

12. GregK

GregK Well-Known Member

It IS a shame. FORT TI used to have runs on AMC long ago, but the quality was so-so. Seeing this in high quality 3-D really is the way to go.

Bob, was this the first Columbia picture to feature 3-channel (left, center, right) stereophonic sound?

13. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob, was this the first Columbia picture to feature 3-channel (left, center, right) stereophonic sound?
    Yes, it was. Sadly, it no longer survives. :(

14. Doug Bull

Doug Bull
    Bob, I believe that the 3-channel Stereo tracks for "Miss Sadie Thompson" no longer survive.

Do you think that somewhere in this world it's possible that a set might still exist? ( I still believe in miracles)
    I wonder how thorough and how wide the search has been?
    Because of all the 3D movies, this is the one I would most dearly love to experience again in Stereo. (Kiss Me Kate excluded)

My old 10" Mercury mono "Miss Sadie Thompson" Soundtrack LP is completely worn out and has finally been retired to LP Heaven.
    Funny story, I purposely dug a hole into the groove when Jose Ferrer accuses Rita of being a prostitute, because I was frightened my Mum would hear that word and ban me from ever playing it again. How times have changed. :)

Doug.

15. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

At this stage, the chance of 60 year old magnetic tracks surviving are slim to none. If they do survive buried in some vault, collection or Archive somewhere, there's a VERY strong possibility they are deteriorating with Vinegar Syndrome, which is very prevalent in magnetic materials.

Sony initially denied the film was ever stereophonic, but now simply claim the tracks are lost.

You would have liked the alternate track for SADIE which replaced the racy dialogue. Instead of prostitute, Jose Ferrer calls Sadie an "evil woman." The actors themselves recorded the alternate tracks during production.

The alternate track negative was buried in the vaults until a decade or so ago when they were accidentally used when striking a new dual-strip 3-D print for repertory bookings. Sony caught the mistake, pulled that print and struck a new left/right pair with the correct track. I saw the print in New York and the audience howled at the replaced dialogue!

Any possible 3-D Blu-ray release of this film should include this alternate dialogue as a bonus.

GregK, Matt Hough and Doug Bull like this.
  16. Doug Bull

Doug Bull
    That's a great piece of information and trivia Bob. Thanks for sharing.

If only they had used that alternative track on the Mercury soundtrack recording, then there wouldn't have been a need for that almighty loud crunch every time I played it, plus, I'm fairly sure "Evil Woman" might have got past Mum's heavy censorship rules.

"You are an evil woman"
    sadie.jpg
    "No, just call me a pro"

Doug.

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

After THIS IS CINERAMA and THE ROBE, MST was the first feature to be fully recorded in stereophonic sound both on set and on location in Hawaii. The location dialogue was recorded two channel and the music score was three track. The final full-coat magnetic mix sent to theaters was three channel: left, center and right.

Excuse the poor quality, but here's a production photo from the location in early April, 1953. Note the two microphones recording dialogue between Rita Hayworth and Aldo Ray.

Sadie microphones.jpg

Doug Bull likes this.
  18. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Happy 2014 from Julie Adams and the 3-D Film Archive.

Watch for DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, THE BUBBLE* and 3-D RARITIES fully restored from master 35mm elements on 3-D Blu-ray in 2014!

543934_390156284406301_557014261_n.jpg

*Please note: THE BUBBLE is not to be confused with UNDER THE DOME.

FoxyMulder likes this.
  19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    This was a sad day in your history books. :P

20. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    This is all wonderful news, Bob.

We've all waited so long for all of this good stuff to happen. But I know that no one has endured the wait longer than you! :)

Bob Furmanek likes this.