What's new

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you very much, Mr. Harris. Your kind words are very much appreciated! I can remember when we first met on the Goldwyn lot as you were working on MY FAIR LADY. Those were some wonderful times! I'm still in touch with Mike H.
Richard: INFERNO has been scanned at 2K and re-aligned shot by shot by the late Dan Symmes. There is a pristine, restored digital 3-D master ready to go...
Bob

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm shocked to hear of Dan Symmes passing. I knew of him since 1982 or 1983 when I got a copy of Amazing 3-D, and I finally got to meet him at the second Hollywood 3-D Fest. He was very nice and I'm sad to hear he's gone. RIP, Dan.
Greg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Dan was a great man, a dear friend and an absolute encyclopedia on all aspects of 3-D. His passing has left a void which can never be filled.
Bob

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Personally, I would like to see some golden age films released theatrically, as I am not sure when I will have a system capable of playing 3d disks. My guess is that, if they released Hondo theatrically, with enough of an advertising budget to let people know what it is, it would do surprisingly well at the box office. I think tha tJohn Wayne was voted 4th favorite male actor in 2011, over 30 years after his death.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I agree 100%. I feel there are half a dozen or so Golden Age titles that can do well theatrically in today's market.
Bob

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know it was very short (less than two minutes) but I loved seeing the 3-D opening scenes for THE BIRDS shown at the Orlando Universal Studios attraction Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies - (its starts at 8:40 into ) . That would be cool to see again on Blu-ray 3D. I think it was planned to be used for the movie before it was released but was scrapped.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
I never saw this newly filmed segment in 3-D but I'm told it was very well done.
Bob
I thought it was mentioned during the attraction that this was unreleased 3-D footage not new. I think the same was mentioned in The Unofficial Guide To Walt Disney World under the Universal Studios section. Maybe it was incorrect.

GregK

Screenwriter
When I saw this at Universal Studios, we were told before the clips were shown that DIAL M feature itself had never been seen in 3-D during its original run, which of course was incorrect. I don't think they said anything about the newer footage. A brief DIAL M CLIP was shown shrunken and windowboxed on a stadium sized screen. Just after the Dial M on-sceen murder occurs, the screen "tears open" as in a film effect, to transition to THE BIRDS in-studio clip, which filled the entire stadium sized screen. While fun, it was simply one continuous shot that was VERY gimmicky (so unlike DIAL M), and appeared to be shot on large format stock. The background actors shown in the montage were wearing early 60's attire, but I'm sure that was done to better tie this clip in with the original 1963 BIRDS feature.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Bob Furmanek said:
Thank you very much, Mr. Harris. Your kind words are very much appreciated! I can remember when we first met on the Goldwyn lot as you were working on MY FAIR LADY. Those were some wonderful times! I'm still in touch with Mike H.
Richard: INFERNO has been scanned at 2K and re-aligned shot by shot by the late Dan Symmes. There is a pristine, restored digital 3-D master ready to go...
Bob
Thank you Mr. Furmanek, that is certainly great news. Great, forgotten movie.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Bob, dont know if this has been adressed, but have you hear anthing on the Chaney version of Hunchback, the suplements that were added were wonderful, and i know that you are one to thank in that aspect, i was just wondering if it was being re worked for a 1080 presentation

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Richard: Dan worked very hard on the restoration of INFERNO. If it gets a 3-D BR release, I hope that Fox will use his new master.
Dana: The credit for those stereo images on the HUNCHBACK project goes to Jack Theakston. I haven't heard any further news but I'll ask Jack to answer that question for you.
Bob

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
c38396a2_Inferno1953-FOX-insert3D.jpeg

Inferno is overdue for rediscovery. People would gain a whole new appreciation for this noir and what stereoscopic lensmanship can accomplish as a story-telling tool if they could see it. One of my most-wanted films. Does Fox know about Dan Symme's master? Have you seen it? I'll bet it's impressive, knowing Dan Symmes standards.
So far as I know, Inferno isn't even on Fox's radar anymore.
44f9cb57_Inferno1953-FOX-onesheet3D.jpeg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
INFERNO is one of the best 3-D films of all time. It should be seen and available.
I'm not sure if the current regime at Fox knows of his scene by scene restoration. It was done a few years ago.
Here's a quote from Roy Ward Baker's autobiography:
c174663b_Inferno-1.jpeg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Nothing on that one, sorry! That's not to say I haven't looked into it.
The elements do exist but the rights are a mess. American distributor Sam Sherman has certain domestic rights but his 3-D element is a 35mm dupe from a release print and not very good quality. To master this properly, the other distributor would need to provide better elements.
Bob

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I've always wanted to see Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (La Marca del Hombre-lobo -- Spain, 1968) in stereo. I'm assured it was well shot. It had a sensational and extravagant 3-D poster, although I don't have it.
1192397e_FrankensteinsBloodyTerror1968-USAonesheet.jpeg

I need to start a thread on miscellaneous 3-D films of the 1960s on up.
I'm fond of RUN FOR COVER (1995) by Richard W. Haines, who used to post here. A resourceful independent 3-D film shot on a shoestring. He sent me a nice field-sequential copy. It just doesn't work flat. You must know him, Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks