1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Meager $300 speaker budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by autzennoise, Jul 18, 2013.

1. autzennoise

autzennoise Member

Casey
    Can someone make a recommendation or tell a noob where to start? My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-522.

Thanks for any help. Trying to get away from my HTiaB.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If you are in CT, there is a forum member selling a set of Polk TL(look in the sale/trade forum). Shipping should, at worst, make them $200(he wants $125, I think...which is fair).Then PartsExpress has the Dayton sub1000 for $100.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    Newegg had the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for $279 with free shipping, but I don't know if it's still that price. Very highly rated and popular system.

4. autzennoise

autzennoise Member

Casey
  5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That Dayton us the exact same thing as the Energy Take. I thought the PE version was discontinued. Yes, it is compatible.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Well-Known Member

Trying to move up from a HTiB with $300 is tough for a complete 5.1 set.

Some of the options may sound better(depends on which HTiB you are using?) but with 3.5 to 3.75" woofers you may find them hard pressed to offer clean output

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check the used market for speakers and subwoofers. Used speakers are a great option on a short budget or even a large one. As long as it hasn't been abused, a 5-10 year old speaker or sub will sound as good today as it did when it was new. I bought my Adire Rava sub used years ago for a ridiculously low price and it is still going strong today. Ditto for my Vandersteen Model 2C mains and VCC-1 center.

US AudioMart, Audiogon and the for-sale boards here on HTF, AC and other HT/audio forums are good options. Just make sure to do your research and don't buy on a whim. Know what your buying before you hand over your money and check the seller's history/feedback.