What's new

MBP owners question (1 Viewer)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I posted this here as the forum over at macrumors gets a little cluttered at times. I just got my 15" 2.4ghz MBP matte screen, and it's great, but I noticed a few possible defects from reading on the MR forums. One is possible yellowing of the bottom third of the screen. Initially as I booted it up for the first time, I noticed something funky at the bottom but it was more of a grey. My screen is the samsung and the 35th week of production. Anyone have a samsung screen too and no yellowing problems?

Also, another thing is a gap between the board and the screen when it's closed, people say this is a defect but I'm not sure. Does anyone else's MBP have a small gap? I never really noticed with my old HP laptop if there was a gap, but I'm thinking there shouldn't be so dust doesn't get in, etc.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Mike, if the "yellowing" goes away a few minutes of use, you're seeing your screen warm up. The older 15s had a different style of screen that took ten to fifteen minutes to warm up, but the new ones warm up very quickly.

There's going to be a bit of a gap because of the way that the computer springs open when you press the release button.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Gotcha... thanks! Also another problem sprung up, I'm trying to connect to my wifi around the house and the MBP recognizes the wifi name, but doesn't recognize the password. I reset the router and changed the password but that still doesn't work. I connected the laptop to the router with a cable, and it works fine that way but I want to be able to use the wireless.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've not noticed any discolorations on my MBP screen. I don't know who made it or how many weeks ago :)

I had a problem with my Airport Extreme (AX) one night. It just failed to connect properly. It so happened there was a software update in the queue for it. After connecting by cable, installing the update, and rebooting, it fixed itself.

I've also had issues where I lose the network going too far away in my house, and having troubles reconnecting. For that, it seems that turning off Airport, rebooting, and restoring Airport will restore my AX access.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Looks like I'm all set finally! I downloaded the update and then brought it home and it still prompted for a password and I typed it in and it didn't work. I then noticed someone said "wep key" rather than password, so I typed that in, and the wireless now works on the Mac. I'm pretty convinced I lucked out and didn't get one of the yellowing screens but I'm going to go to the Apple store sometime and compare the two but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Had another question... I was playing a few dvds that are 16x9 encoded, but the Dvd player plays them letterboxed, and I can't find on the preferences about that. Is the 15" screen not in 16x9 format?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's 16:10. And widescreen movies come in all manner of formats, 1.66:1, 1.85:, 2.35:1. Search the movie and video forums on the widescreen discussions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There ya go.

Width x Height = aspect ratio
16 x 10 = screen
16 x 8.6 = Raymond (16 x 16/1.85)

The video is wider-screen than your screen so it will have black bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks