What's new

May Criterions & Eclipse: Huston, Yates, Imamura and Korda (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Since no one has yet posted it, I will.

The Criterion May slate consists of John Huston's Wise Blood, Peter Yates' Friends Of Eddie Coyle and a Shoehei Imamura set consisting of Pigs And Battleships, The Insect Woman and Intentions Of Murder. The May Eclipse set is devoted to the films of Alexander Korda: Private Life Of Henry VIII, Rembrandt, The Rise Of Catherine The Great and Private Life Of Don Juan.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Wise Blood is a must-have, way overdue. I love the cover art despite them spelling Huston's name wrong. ;)

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

No, that really is the way you spell writer-director-actor John Huston's name, although I remember reading reviews of Huston's PHOBIA and VICTORY, which followed this adaptattion of O'Connor's novel, which dearly hoped that these were the works of someone else but with a similar name...

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
^ Oh, I know. It was just a little joking reference to how he was billed as "Jhon Huston" for this particular film.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Several in this batch that I've wanted to see for a long time such as Wise Blood, Friends Of Eddie Coyle, The Rise Of Catherine The Great and Private Life Of Don Juan.

I rarely blind buy, especially pricey Criterions but these will definitely be added to my Netflix queue when the time comes.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
As a resident of the Boston area, I have been told time and again that I had to see 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle'. Finally, a chance to do so. Thanks Criterion!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Charles H

Screenwriter
Columbia/Sony used to have licensing deals with Criterion (e.g., SILVERADO, GHOSTBUSTERS, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW). My favorite John Huston film is FAT CITY (it is Huston's and Conrad Hall's also). The Sony dvd is out of print, and now that there is a more enlightened attitude towards classics at Sony, I would hope that they would consider licensing again to Criterion. FAT CITY is a masterpiece that deseves a Special Edition. Also a non-pd of BEAT THE DEVIL.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that CATHERINE THE GREAT is included in the Korda box. Korda only produced it. AN IDEAL HUSBAND or THAT HAMILTON WOMAN in particular would have been more relevant.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Finally, Wise Blood. No hundred dollar VHS for me!

I like the cover art, how it looks like a 1960s paperback.

Derrick King

Screenwriter

Sony has licensed some titles to Criterion, but, other than the already released Bottle Rocket, I don't think any of the titles are known.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Too bad Criterion didnt get the right to include the surviving footage from Korda's "The Private Life of Helen of Troy." It would have fit nicely with the theme even though only less than half and hour survives.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
My thoughts exactly.

Including The Private Life of Don Juan is very welcome, but why double dip Rembrandt when That Hamilton Woman or The Lion Has Wings languish?

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE LION HAS WINGS doesn't languish: it's on the second disc of the Criterion THE THIEF OF BAGDAD.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Been waiting for the Imamura titles for a while. It is a pleasant surprise to see them get the full Criterion treatment rather than the rumored Eclipse treatment. Will pick up Eddie Coyle too and maybe Wise Blood.

-D

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator

$100? Damn, late again to the sell-off party. . . .

Glad to finally be able to get a DVD of this one!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for that, Charles.

I never upgraded my MGM disc but believe I will now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks