1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

May Buy A Receiver In The Next Few Days

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lee M T, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Lee M T

Lee M T Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I'm heading towards purchasing a new receiver. I've brutalized my old Pioneer by leaving it running pretty much 24/7 for the last ten years. I rarely turned the thing off, not sure why. I used to torture it by running my main speakers and a pair of JL Audio subs in the closet all off the main channels as well. My house shook pretty well. [​IMG] Anyhow...the thing finally died on me.

The new Pioneer's are about to come out and the 812-K looks very delicious at $299. However, I just spotted last year's Yamaha HTR-5560 for $321 at Best Buy. This is the $499 model. So it's obvious they are getting ready for the new Yamaha's. Which receiver is the better deal?

The Yamaha says "DTS-ES compatible." So I'm a bit confused about that. When looking at the units and feeling them out, the Yamaha just seems like it is made better. Whether it performs any better, I am not quite sure. They both have all the hook ups I need. The new Pioneer does add the new DTS 96/24 surround format. I'm not a huge movie watcher, so I don't even know how prevalent this feature is for me. I really just want it for music and video games (which haven't even broken out of the original Digital and DTS stages).

So what should it be? Pioneer 812-K or Yamaha 5560?

Thanks for the help!!!

Lee

2. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Well-Known Member

Lee:

I demoed the Yamaha HTR5560 seven months ago for about a month. I ended up taking it back because it did not have a discrete rear center channel and did not have DTS:Neo 6.

I ended up going for the Pioneer 811S - last year's version of the 812-K. I'm very happy with it.

If you are a Yamaha fan, someone indicated that they have just released a new line of receivers in
    this thread.

For more ideas, check out the Receivers Buyer's Guide at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.

Hope that helps,

Jeff