1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

May 3, 2013 Iron Man 3 announced

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Oct 19, 2010.

1. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

I agree that comic book physics don’t work in the real world, but the physics in the movies should at least be consistent with the internal logic in them. The first movie made it very clear that the kind of things the suit does are made possible by a source of enormous power (the kind of power that can propel the suit or its components at several thousand miles per hour for hundreds or even thousands of miles), namely, the arc reactor. This was made explicit when Stane was unable to make his big suit work without Stark’s reactor. It simply doesn’t fit with what was previously established that “battery power” (what kind of battery? Some super duper Stark battery that's able to match the power output of an arc reactor? Doesn't that essentially make it an arc reactor? After all, neither can produce energy from "nothing".) can accomplish essentially the same thing as the arc reactor (the boot jets work as well as the repulsor rays without being connected to the reactor). That's why I said it sure seems like the pieces have their own arc reactors.

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Saw it again this weekend. Enjoyed it even more the second time around, even though the theater was a terrible experience. This was the most disgustingly misconverged digital projection I've ever seen in a professional cinema. At least Cinemark gave me a refund. So if I was able to enjoy it at all in that enviroment, that says alot for me. I would have left, but I brought my parents with me and I didn't want to drag my Mom out of the theater since she said she couldn't see the problem.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's likely that there is much more to Trevor. Maybe, but nothing really jumped out at me on the second viewing that I didn't catch on the first viewing.

I didn't notice the cool chinese dragon tatoos on Killian/Mandarin the first time around. But I caught them on this viewing. Killian had said something along the lines of a "mandarian" being an "advisor to the King" or something like that, and one of the definitions of mandarin is "a person of position and influence". Killian's plan was to own the war on terror with the (Vice)President as his puppet in one hand and controling a terror organization with the other. So again, for those that that might be confused thinking that there was no real Mandarin (hat he was just an actor), there certainly was. The public face was a misdirection, but Killian was "The Mandarin". And he was a pretty significant foil for Stark.

In Ton'y voice over at the end, he said that after he got Pepper "sorted out" he thought "why stop there?" and went on to deal with his shrapnel problem. What do you think the "sorted out" means for Pepper? Do you think he managed to completely remove Extremis from Pepper, or did he figure out how to stablize it? Is Pepper going to continue to have superpowers in future films? I did read somewhere that someone in Marvel, Feige maybe, said this may not be the last we see of Extremis.

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Lou Sytsma
    Is Iron Man3 better than Iron Man2? Yes but that's not saying much. And not by much.

Both possess half baked and overstuffed plots and the drive to turn the Iron Man suits into a toyline continues unabated. Really dislike the change on the fly suit stuff too. Didn't buy the PTSD storyline either.

Movie's strong point is how much Downey is in the flick. And the interaction between Pepper and Stark. Mandarin turned out to be a Bane-bust and apparently the driving motivation to become a ubervillain requires nothing more traumatic than to be left out on a cold rooftop. :rolleyes:

At the end Tony Stark declares he is Ironman. Too bad that declaration came at the end of a movie that just demonstrated that any videogamer with decent skills would make a better one.

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
  5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Just in case there is any doubt about Marvel's intentions regarding Tony Stark continuing to function as Iron Man, Joss Whedon says:
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176981-joss-whedon-confirms-quicksilver-and-scarlet-witch-talks-iron-man-returning

6. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Took in a third viewing this weekend, and I have to say this has been the most fun and entertaining movie for me this summer so far. I saw Man of Steel this weekend as well and enjoyed it, but as cool as the spectacle was and as moving as lots of the stuff was with Clark and the Kents it wasn't as fun a viewing experience as Iron Man 3.

7. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    The new Marvel One Shot that will be on the BD of Thor: The Dark World will be called 'All Hail the King' and will focus on Trevor Slattery. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

MattBradley likes this.
  8. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Well-Known Member

Nice! Trevor is awesome.

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    'All Hail the King' is a great follow-up if you enjoyed the Trevor character. This was quite the nice short, and it has a fantastic cameo that gave me a nice belly laugh. Good stuff. Plus, this kind of clarified something that can definitely be followed up on in future Iron Man films. Check it out.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    dana martin and Tino like this.
  12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    I don't think Downey was 100% serious. I'm sure he'd like to see Gibson direct, but if the studio comes back with a generous offer, I bet Downey will sign on.