What's new

Matt Houston (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
MattH., do you know whether CBS/Paramount are working on the second season of "Matt Houston"?

You were involved in Season 1, maybe you have some information for us?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Did the first season sell well on DVD? I've been thinking about getting the first season, but read comments on here about music changes. But then again, I probably wouldn't notice as I have never seen the series before. Not even sure if Matt Houston has been shown in the UK.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The music change was minimal Richard, a debate over Chariots of Fire vs. series theme in one driving scene approaching Houston's estate, it was certainly nothing that stopped my purchase as spotless and good this release looks.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Originally Posted by Duane Alford
I've asked twice and haven't gotten a responmse. Sounds to me like it's stalled, possibly even abandoned
No answer is always a bad sign.

There´s a user on CBS/Paramounts Facebook site, every months he asks the question"When will "Cannon-Season3" come out and he never got an answer.

I suppose "Matt Houston" will have the same problem.

The selling numbers for Season 1 were probably too weak!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow
The music change was minimal Richard, a debate over Chariots of Fire vs. series theme in one driving scene approaching Houston's estate, it was certainly nothing that stopped my purchase as spotless and good this release looks.
Thanks.

The one good thing I can think of at the moment is that there were only three seasons. I'm going to stay positive and think that we will eventually get at least the second season, but there will be a long delay, like between Seasons 3 & 4 of Mannix.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Matt Houston: The First Season is currently priced at $27.99 on Amazon.com.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i liked the last two seasons of the show. buddy ebsen was in it as Houston's uncle. there is even a two part episode where Matt returns to Vietnam to rescue his cousin.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by kingfish
i liked the last two seasons of the show. buddy ebsen was in it as Houston's uncle. there is even a two part episode where Matt returns to Vietnam to rescue his cousin.
Have checked EpGuides.com's and TV.com's episode guide for Matt Houston, and the second season started with a feature length episode called "Heritage" (in syndication it is in two hour long episodes), the second and third seasons were bridged by a two-parter, and in third season there was the two-part story which you mentioned in your post.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Have checked EpGuides.com's and TV.com's episode guide for Matt Houston, and the second season started with a feature length episode called "Heritage" (in syndication it is in two hour long episodes), the second and third seasons were bridged by a two-parter, and in third season there was the two-part story which you mentioned in your post.
Quite right. An easy way to distinguish all three seasons of the show:
Season 1: Vince Novelli is Matt's friend on the police force
Season 2: Lt. Hoyt replaces Novelli as Matt's police contact
Season 3: Buddy Ebsen's 'Uncle Roy' is added to the main cast

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Matt Houston's first season (1982-83) was shown on ABC on Sunday nights at 8 pm - 9 pm. After that, the show was moved to Friday nights at 10 pm - 11 pm, where it stayed for it's last two seasons. The show never finished in the Top 30 for all three seasons.

It's competition on the other networks at the start of the 1982-83 season was:

8 pm - 8.30 pm:

CBS: Archie Bunker's Place (4th and final season)

8.30 pm - 9 pm:

CBS: Gloria (1st and only season)

8 pm - 9 pm:

CHiPS (6th and final season).

Matt Houston's competition in the 1983-84 season:

10 pm - 11 pm:

CBS: Falcon Crest (Season 3)

NBC: For Love and Honor (1st and only season)

and Matt Houston's competition in he 1984-85 season:

10 pm - 11 pm:

CBS: Falcon Crest (Season 4)

NBC: Miami Vice (Season 1).

Was Matt Houston cancelled because of low ratings?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Not sure why it was cancelled but I'd love to see the third season with Buddy Ebsen as the uncle and speculate a bit if we'll ever get that 'far' on DVD even, from Paramount/CBS themselves that is, wonder what the chances are for them to open up some day for a MOD service or more licensing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm thinking yes during its final season since it obviously finished third in the timeslot. Falcon Crest ranked 10th in the ratings that season, and while Miami Vice wasn't in the top thirty (yet), it had the "cool" factor that year.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think that the second season will eventually be released. Someone said on here recently that it is like waiting for a release slot to appear (re: the longer wait between releases of season sets on DVD). It's been over twelve months since the first season was released (March 2010). We've just got to stay positive on the chances of it being released.

I thought low ratings might have been the reason for it's cancellation. I'm just guessing that Matt Houston did well enough in it's new timeslot in the 1983-84 season against Falcon Crest, but in the next season Miami Vice was the big, new cool show and took a chunk out of Matt Houston's ratings. A shame Matt Houston didn't hang around or wasn't moved to a new timeslot (Spenser for Hire took over the Saturdays at 10 pm timeslot on ABC in the 1985-86 season).

The source of the second seaso guest star info below is TV.com:

Guest stars in the (originally) feature length second season premiere include William Windom (before he began his recurring role on Murder, She Wrote), Lloyd Bridges, Don Stroud, David Wayne, Rebecca Holden (the same season she starred in Knight Rider) and Lloyd Bochner.

Guest stars in the rest of the season include Don Johnson (the episode "The Woman in White"), Joseph Ruskin, Joe Penny, J.D. Cannon, Luke Askew, William Lucking, George Chakiris, Wendy Kilbourne, Alan Fudge, David Graf (his episode aired in February 1984, the year that the first Police Academy film was released in cinemas), Dana Elcar, Lou Ferrigno, Christopher Stone, Marjoe Gortner, Alex Rocco, Joseph Sirola, Andrew Prine and Gary Lockwood.

John Aprea returns as Lt. Novelli in the second season episode "Criss-Cross" (episode 17).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The second season also had the first of two appearances by Judson Scott as assassin Andre "The Wolf Witch" (who returned in a season 3 episode).
Don't recall Novelli returning. Must've missed that one in both first run and cable reruns!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks