What's new

Matrix Revolutions Final Bubble Explosion... Questions. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I was listening to this the other day and it made my 20-39PC+ kinda flutter. I am pretty sure it didnt bottom out.. as soon as I heard it I played with the port blockers and level and gain ect. Finally got it to a point where it doesnt do it as bad. Its still rough on the sub though. Am I running my sub too hot?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
What's the SS filter set to?
How many ports have you blocked?
What is the av amp's xover set to?
Have you disabled the SVS's xover?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
That sound was probably port noise. Port noise sounds like a flutter. It must take a lot to drive an SVS to that kind of output, though. Not to mention your house probably sustained severe structural damage.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Revolutions is certainly raising a few eyebrows. It does take a huge amount of air flow to cause audible port noise through three wide flared (both ends) 3" ports.

Your 20-39PC+ will no doubt perform at its best (from an air flow and output standpoint) in the stock tune with all ports open and the tune switch set to 20 Hz. Plugging a port will only exacerbate the situation.

If the sub didn't bottom, then you are probably OK at your current calibration setting, but I would imagine you are getting close to the sub's (admittedly very high) limits. You might want to drop the Master Volume a notch or lower the AVR sub level 1 dB and see if you can lessen the effect.

That particular scene is brutal and just happens to hit right in the bandwidth where the resonators are functioning optimally and shouldering a good portion of the load.

Regards,

Ed

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Heck, it woke my daughter up a couple of times and I'm downstairs. Granted her bedroom is directly above me but I didn't think it was goint to disturb her. Some serious bass in that movie and I don't even have a SVS sub.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
sometimes i begin to doubt SVS after hearing posts like this. the only thing that has made me want to turn it down was the blue man group DVD-Audio (audio). the track "club nowhere" has a nice 18hz drum in it, and to date, i have popped almost 10 light bulbs with it.

i watched that scene in revolutions, and had it almost twice what i normally do, at reference volume (painful volume), and the sub sounded like it could do more.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Only time I've ever heard port noise on my 25-31 PC+ was the final 1 minute or so of the Dorian Wanamaker Organ recording track 2. I went over to the sub and probably could've blow dried my hair with the amount of air coming out of those three ports. That was with the filter set at stock 25hz too...so it shouldn't have been really trying to reproduce those 31' 16hz pipes. Then again, I was probably running the thing 20db too hot :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Jesse, get yourself a sound level meter and a good calibration dvd and set all of your speakers up.

terence

Supporting Actor
Revolutions is recorded a little low, so it causes people to raise the volume above their normal dvd watching volumes. The bass seems to be louder than the hi's & mids, so as you go up in SPL so does that heavy LFE.

Has anyone backed off their LFE level for this flick for a more balance sound?

I stick with mine level and don't touch it for everything.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
when i first watched it, it was at the normal level, i didnt adjust the sub or the volume of my system.

it didnt do anything odd, other than have tons of bass. but i did it again all boosted, and it still did it fine... so i dunno what is going on.

i also dont like the idea that its not recommended to tune the sub at the lowest point if you are going to be using it at reference levels.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
20Hz filter Now

No ports Blocked

80hz av amp x-over

bipassed SVS crossover

havnt calibrated it correctly.

Proably running it pretty hot maybe 8 db.

I need an spl meter.

I was just curious if anyone else has had there sub do this?

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is in the stock 20Hz, no ports blocked, 80Hz crossover, calibrated 3-4db hot (I believe I left it at 3). Reference Level..... Not a peep from the subwoofer - everything shaked violently....but no noise from the Sub....

You do need an SPL meter, you will be amazed at how your system sounds after calibration... :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jesse,

That's actually probably the amp limiter kicking in.

Given your rather large/open room (you do have a good location for the sub, but it IS one sub) and a very hot calibration... you will run into this on supremely over the top LFE tracks like that one.

Sell plasma, whatever it takes, get an SPL meter and tame your calibration a bit with a test disk and this won't be an issue. Of course, just backing the gain down a bit so you don't get that effect is wise in the mean time.

Ron

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
So I just need to turn it down a bit? Ill try that. Thanks ron. Thanks again for having russ and I over again. :D

VinhT

Second Unit
Jesse, just curious... Does the noise you hear sound like this?

25-31 noise, 800KB

You have to turn it up to hear the extraneous noise. That's what I hear in a small dorm room with a single 25-31PC+ in stock tune configuration run 0dB hot.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I played that file a number of times and its hard to say for sure on even my outboard PC speakers (they get down to about 50 Hz).

I have heard an SVS amp protection circuit kick in (see my PB1-ISD review) on a sine wave, and it functions and sounds much like an electronic rev limiter on a car engine (if you've ever heard one).

Keep in mind this isn't a limiter in the conventional sense; it's only there to prevent damage to the amp from otherwise being majorly overdriven. I've never heard it kick in under normal use, and at least in my room, the SPL was around 120 dB before the amp protection circuit engaged. I immediately recognized what was happening (the Hsu STF-3 exhibited this too, although the amp acted a bit differently), and quickly shut down the sine. If the user persists in overtaxing the amp, the fuse will simply blow in a few seconds anyway, to protect both the amp and the VC from frying. It's really an excellent feature to have in a sub amp.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Vin: Yes that is the noise it makes. I think it proably is the amp limiter kicking in. Its not the driver bottoming out.

Seth_B

Grip
That same scene really pushed my 2039PCi. There was a noticeable chatter inside - almost the same sound as something rattling on the shelves.

That is the only time I have ever heard this beast make a sound that was not appropriate. Of course, I had so friggin loud that the LFE mananaged to walk the clock radio off my nightstand (about 14 inches over a two hour period), and the bedroom is on the other side of the house.

God bless SVS though. My old KSW would have burst into flames if I had attempted similar levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks