What's new

Matrix box set shaping up (1 Viewer)

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator

OH YEAH!! This is the one I will be getting for sure. The book, the bust, the unique packaging, I'm all over it. Looks like I will have to pick up the other Gentle Giant minibusts as well to complete the collection though, but I think they will look good sitting next to my GG Star Wars minibusts, and Master Replicas Star Wars prop replicas. Too bad no DTS, but an excellent set no less. Kudos!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I think I will end up getting this set, because I liked all three films enough to buy them all again with new features. Plus since the MSRP is low for this set, I really think it would be a good idea to upgrade. I just have no idea if I should go for the set with the bust of Neo and the book.

Also, does anyone else want to hear the commentary by critics that hated all 3 films?! :laugh:

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
After buying the second and third movies used at Blockbuster, I'm not one of those who will double dip on a series I didn't really like.

Actually enjoyed the first two a great deal, but found the final film a total let-down. And I enjoyed the Animatrix disc, but why would I buy it twice?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hopefully MSRP will actually be $60, unlike what Paramount did with the Friday the 13th set. Either way, I'll definitely be picking up one of the sets. Probably the giftset with the bust if it isn't too pricey.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
From the Digital Bits posting:

If it was indeed their direct doing, pairing a "Chekhovian Christian" self-proclaimed intellectual prophet who eagerly seeks the validation of a rap culture that seems to be the antithesis of intellectualism (that would be West) and a pseudo-intellectual New Age spiritualist who picks and chooses what he wants to believe from a variety of eastern belief systems, and who once shilled for the kooky mystic Da Free John (that would be Wilber), may speak volumes about how the Wachowski brothers think and what they were trying to do with the MATRIX trilogy on a subtextual/spiritual level. As such, this could make for one of the most fascinating or pretentious commentaries of all time. Either way, it should be, uhhh, interesting ....

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Without extended cuts, it's not worth it for me. I'll be picking up the regular release of Revolutions sometime soon, then, and passing on the boxed set of the trilogy.

Urgh. Was really hoping the W Bros were taking a lead from Peter Jackson.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit

In fact, THEY are the Director's final cut of the movies... The movies comes with all the scenes. Nothing was left in the Deleted scenes vault! The Wach. Bros. know what they wanted, and all was filmed and added in the movies.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Brian, re your post #89 re the commentaries: at least as far as Cornel is concerned, I don't think his contribution to the commentaries is going to be pretentious. I do predict, however, that there is going to be teeth-gnashing and dissatisfaction amongst many who aren't familiar with him and his scholarship.

Also, of course Cornel's very interested in rap/hip hop, but I'm not sure I'd agree that he "seeks . . . validation" from that community. Also glad that you said the rap culture "seems to be the antithesis of intellectualism" (underline mine).

-p

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Counterpoint taken, Paul. I guess we'll have to wait and see. There were about three people I figured might respond to that post, and you were one of them. ;) I think Cornel West is at the very least sincere in his beliefs, but I find a lot of his philosphy hard to take. If I had to listen to a track by only one of these men, however, it would be West, since Ken Wilber's writing strikes me as the poorly-researched musings of a New Age flake (feel free to agrue that; I won't make an issue out of it). I have to wonder, though, if the Wachowski brothers are devout followers of the philosophies of either of these men. THE MATRIX movies would indicate at least a partial yes. But at least they won't go down in history as fiascos in the vein of BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

By the by, Cornel's new hip hop/R&B album is up at his website. you can download portions of the songs. The track called "The N-Word" is rather catchy:

http://www.cornelwest.com/

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm not familiar with Wilber, but I doubt it. I just think the Wacho Bros. concluded West and perhaps Wilber would make for interesting commentators. It seems to me that that's part of their motivation in choosing three film critics who dislike the pics to do the other track. Still anxious to find out who these three are.

(Thx for the tip about Cornel's new album.)

-p

Travis W.

Second Unit
Davis DVD is reporting a 12/7 street date for this. If it proves true LOTR Return of the King Extended is also due out that day. Two titles and already it's over 100 bucks possibly.

DanMarquardt

Agent
I understand why W brothers are keeping silent on the commentary tracks... but the choice of the those two philosophers and the critics who disliked the films seem bizarre to me.

I hope they'll at least get all the lit. references and such.

Travis W.

Second Unit

I don't think I'll be listening to the critic track, why would I watch a movie that I like and listen to people complain about it? If I wanted that I could just talk to some of my friends who don't understand why I still like the Matrix Trilogy despite its flaws.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I think it would be interesting, and hilarious, these critics they've chosen hated the movies so much. I mean, you know nit-pickers, this forum has a few. Its funny to hear them scoff at things and get really technical, eventually they sound like bafoons....and thats where the fun begins, especailly commentary tracks, there not scripted, only mental notes to go off of. people put feet in mouths that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks