What's new

Matrix box set shaping up (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What's with this new trend of box-sets being released with stupid busts?

The Monster Legacy was kind of cool... but a Neo bust?

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Regarding the new commentaries, I would rather have one from the Wachowskis than critics who hated the films. I'd rather hear some of their insights into the films and what they were trying to go for with the sequels. I was disappointed that they didn't appear in the documentaries on the previous releases for Reloaded and Revolutions.

However, I won't be double dipping on this set.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I've been holding out now just for a set like this. For a time I would have gotten the Matrix and Matrix Revisited set, but I just kept thinking "something better will come along." And it has! I'm psyched for this release. I also like the box set design(way better than any of the individual cover designs).

I don't think i'd get the gift set though, the Neo bust is not that cool, nor is the booklet with even more Matrix artwork. But who knows...

And on top of all that, i actually liked the sequels.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

This looks pretty nice indeed. Too bad we're not getting the features carried over from the initial releases, but they're not very substantial, except on The Matrix, which I intend to keep for the isolated score etc.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
That's pretty a pretty impressive lineup of content, especially for a $59.99 SRP. I can't wait.

I would have loved to hear from the brothers, too, but the critics' commentary sounds like a great idea. I'm actually looking forward to that, and I think it shows a lot of confidence on the brothers' part (and the studio's, for that matter) to allow it. Looking forward to the philosophers' commentaries as well.

This set sounds great, and as I liked both sequels, I think it will be worth it. Don't know about the whole bust thing, but the book sounds good, and after all, we have a choice here. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Oh no... a digpack!!

This doesn't fare well for an individual release of the first film, plus I sold off my snapper last year in anticipation for something more promising.

I was hoping at the very least, to be able to buy the remastered Matrix disc off Ebay, if not grab it in the trade forums at HTF but since they're not in individual keepcases, that doesn't seem possible now...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I like Warner digipacks, actually. This will be like their slipcased 2-disc SEs, I bet.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
That version that comes with the Neo bust is the clunkiest and flimsiest dvd case I have ever seen. I would have nowhere to put that thing, and based on how many of the Schindler's List cases were cracked, this thing (which is mostly plastic shelves, it seems) is going to be in pieces by the time it hits stores. I hope that the part of the case that holds the bust is removable from the rest of it too, otherwise, it's going to look even worse if you wanted to place the bust elsewhere.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I have to admit, that more expesnice case doesn't look good at all. Perhaps if they added some sort of lite digital rain on the sides or something. And please, put more effort into those dvd cases than just clear plastic.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
No directors' cuts, no sale! :)

Seriously, I just want the new transfer of the original. Can't believe they're going to bilk people for $60 just to get it. The sequels all ready look great. I had to work to get them on sale as it was. I seriously don't want to buy them again, especially not Revolutions. That DVD I've only watched once, the others many times.

PLEASE release The Matrix by itself, Warner.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was bored and just did some math, and those who aren't thinking of double-dipping on this are crazy. If the retail of this set is $59.99, then with Amazon's usual 30% off, it will be available for preorder for $41.99, like the Star Wars set, for example. And like the Star Wars set, with STL it will cost just $37.79. That's approximately $3.80 a disc. And you'd have to keep your current DVDs anyway, since the extras are not repeating. And that's what I'm doing.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I just did my own math. If I keep the three I have now and don't double dip, it's going to run me somewhere in the neighborhood of $0. Then with the money I'm saving, I can purchase something else from my wishlist. :D

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If I can pick up this 10 disc set for somewhere in the neighborhood of $39-45 I'm all over it. I'll unload my originals on eBay for a few bucks(maybe $15 for all 3 films) which will make this set a bargain in my opinion.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
At that price, it's an easy purchase, since I don't own any of the current DVDs.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

Sounds like they're pulling a Paramount and not putting a MSRP on this.

Seriously, expect $59.99 to be the rock bottom price you'll pay for this set AFTER DISCOUNTS. I'm guessing that the MSRP will actually be around $90-$100.00, or that the wholesale price for the set will be the same as sets with $90-$100 MSRPs. Don't expect to get any kind of discount off of $59.99.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Yeah, they got my money. The bust looks cool but the rest of the package looks like total crap (sucks too cause I usually like to get the set that's "the biggest and best"). I'm not sure what I'll do with my other DVDs (I have all five of the current titles) but I think it's pretty safe to say that I'll be getting this one.

And the MSRP of $59.99 does seem very low. I remember seeing something not too long ago about how they were getting this set in the UK and I did an exchange rate thingie on what their MSRP was and it ended up being somewhere aroung $80-$90 if I'm not mistaken. So my guess is that the price will be higher than $59.99 (not that I wouldn't like it lower, the lower the better).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they're setting the MSRP low because they know a lot of people might not "double dip" on this release if the price is too high. Most fans of The Matrix films already have the 3 movies on DVD so getting people to repurchase them could be a tough sell. If they offer this set at a MSRP of $59.99 and it ends up going for $45 or so at Best Buy, it's almost too good of a deal to pass up. I'll definitely pay $45-50 for a 10 disc set that features a re-mastered Matrix and tons of bonus content I've never seen.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Given the critical drubbing the sequels received (and the franchise's subsequent fall from grace), that price seems about right... low enough to guarantee big sales numbers ("Hey look, we got 'em to buy movies that they didn't even like.... twice!" :D ) . I was totally gonna pass on this, but now I don't know. I definitely want a better edition of the first film.... and those commentaries sound pretty cool. Hmmmmmm....

If CostCo's got it cheap, I'll probably snag it.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I haven't even watched the extras on the original releases of M2 and M3. This sucks weenie for those who just want an update of the original. Maybe they'll release it individually later like they did with the Alien flicks. I should have just grabbed Alien and Aliens, but with the 20% off sale at DDD, I couldn't pass up the quardrilogy, wasn't that much more than those two would have been later without the sale.

Now, if they went the Robocop route and I could pick up the set for the neighborhood of $20 I'd be all for it. I haven't bashed the sequels as much as most people, but I don't think they're worth buying twice. I'm still not sure the third was worth buying once.

I hate to be blackmailed into buying them all again, just for the original. People bitched about Robocop, but it was so cheap online, the sequels were like bonus features. Loads of extra materials for so-so movies don't impress me. If they'd found a way to improve M2 and M3, but alas...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks