What's new

Matlock Season 1: Finally (1 Viewer)

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Nice! I have fond memories of watching this (and Murder, She Wrote) with my grandparents. Usually, Paramount's price is right, so I'll be getting this one...just in time for my birthday, too!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wow! This is *great* news!!!

I really can't understand why it took so long for this series to surface. Some of the same creative people that worked on Columbo also worked on the first few seasons of this series.

Now if I can just find a hot dog vendor ...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Excellent news. This show was always entertaining and while it may be blasphemy to some, I've always considered Matlock to be my favorite Andy Griffith series (I love Mayberry * also but it didn't have Brynn Thayer :)).

I'm looking forward to seeing the video quality of these DVDs. The TV re-runs of Matlock can often look wretched; like a worn VHS in some cases.

Steve

* Mayberry fans should like Matlock since Andy cast various people associated with the earlier show as guest actors on Matlock (Anita Corsaut, Sheldon Leonard, Jack Dodson, Betty Lynn, and of course Don Knotts)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They shot the show on film but edited it on tape. Don't expect miracles unless they go back to the original negatives and redo the editing, which is doubtful.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
"Matlock" didn't have any musical problems which would necessitate replacements, did it?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Don't think the core audience for Matlock could live long enough for 18 split releases.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

:) Very funny. However I must add that I know multiple people who are big fans of this show that are much younger than one would expect. Given that CBS has released 3 seasons of Diagnosis Murder so far and Universal is up to season 7 or 8 of Murder She Wrote these series that were thought to skew towards the nearly dead must have a much broader fan base than some would think. The casts and writers are usually strong and I know I love seeing a lot of veteran actors on these shows. Certainly they didn't forget how to act when they turned 60, 70, or even 80+.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I only make this joke because on my visits to retirement homes I have always walked past one TV showing Matlock or Murder She Wrote.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Absolutely understand and I've experienced the same thing. I got a big laugh out of one seasoned citizen who commented that she loved Matlock but that Andy Griffith was too old :laugh:

These shows are played nonstop during the daytime on WGN, TBS, Hallmark, etc which certainly are aimed at the retirement crowd that is home during the day.

Steve

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Generally, I think that "Matlock" might be a pretty good series for the money if it's presented properly (good audio/video quality, no music replacements or other edits, full-length outings, etc.).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Anybody else buy this? If so, what did you think?

I've only sampled disc 1 since I've spent most of my time with the Perry Mason set, but the thing that struck me is how comparitively poor these episodes look compared to the other CBS/Paramount shows that are 20 to 30 years older. Mason, Fugitive, Five 0 et all all look crisp and sharp and Matlock barely looks better than broadcast TV. Such is the reality of a show shot on film but edited on video I guess.

At least the shows are entertaining and Linda Purl is wonderful in her role certainly much better than the actress used in the pilot.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I rather enjoyed this set. Hopefully Paramount won't wait forever to release the next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks