1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

matching old and new technology...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Aris A, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Aris A

Aris A Well-Known Member

I have an old RCA tv with just one audio/video port at the back panel, a really cheap wedding gift, which I can't dispose right now until it probably dies on me. My wife bought a DVD on sale and i don't have any idea how to connect it to this tv. I would like to connect component cables since it has a progressive scan feature. I know going to radio shack would be one solution but I would like to get some ideas from you guys before hitting the shack. Thanks for any input.

2. Aris A

Aris A Well-Known Member

I would like to add regarding that audio/video port, I meant one, no red, white, yellow ports just one single port.Thanks.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Well-Known Member

Do you mean that the TV only has an RF input, like the kind you use to connect it to a cable TV system or an external antenna? If this is the case, then you will have to go to Radio Shack or a similar electronics store and purchase an RF expansion switch that will let you plug in RCA type cables into it and it in turn would plug into the RF input on the TV. You would have to tune the TV to channels 3 or 4 to get a picture from the external A/V source. You will probably want to get a switch that has inputs for more than one component if you want to add more video sources later, such as a VCR or a cablebox/Satellite receiver,etc., although I am not sure if the satellite receiver would work through one of those switches.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Well-Known Member

chuck's right.

it sounds like the "port" you are talking about is the coax connector - i'm guessing it has threads on it?

if that is the only connection you have, then you will have to utilize an rf adaptor. although this will degrade your picture somewhat (forget about the benefits of the dvd player's progressive scan - your tv isn't hi-def anyway) it is the only way to connect your dvd player with your current configuration.

sounds like now is a great excuse to get yourself a new tv. [​IMG]

5. Aris A

Aris A Well-Known Member

Thanks Chuck, I will swing by radio shack and inquire about this.

6. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Well-Known Member

Aris,
    You also wont be able to use the component cables because your TV wont be able to display a progressive image anyway. You would need an HDTV or HD-ready TV in order to take advantage of progressive scan.