What's new

Match Game on DVD (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding this Livefeed process- a few weeks ago I saw what I thought was recently found videotape of Elvis' Sullivan appearances on Entertainment Tonight- if this is what the process can do, then it must be used to improve every known kinescope there is!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Peter Marshal has reported this to be the case about Hollywood Squares, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened on MG.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I was at a friend's office in California last summer and he showed me the process. It is amazing. It literally can make a crappy old kinescope look like beautiful black and white videotape.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well the only clip of LiveFeed I've seen is a demo at the official site (http://www.kinescopes.com/Livefeed.html) using a 1965 episode of Whats My Line? Couldn't tell from the way it was compressed but if it delivers results close to VidFIRE then thats good to know.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
"What's My Line?" was an entertaining game show, and it's still amazing to me that CBS would delete the original videotapes of that and The Garry Moore Show when they saved the tapes for The Ed Sullivan Show, The Jackie Gleason Show, The Danny Kaye Show, Password, etc.

The final season of What's My Line, though still live was definitely in color (1966-1967) and as with The Match Game, Livefeed can only do so much.

The clip on the Livefeed site is from 1965 though, so it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, I can't see the difference because my copy of QuickTime is audio-only. :frowning:

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
This is a must buy for me what a fun show this was. Hopefully this will do well so other game shows can be released. Now it is up to MGM Home video to step up to the plate and put out the Hollywood Squares (And The Storybook Squares). These were also great shows. Peter Marshall's book had a CD of the best moments, the video would be even better.

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

Boy-- **that's** the type of comment that makes all of the work worthwhile... thanks, Charles! :D

I had heard another report similar to this a couple of weeks ago (someone mentioned a clip they saw on "Inside Edition")-- I wasn't aware that Andrew (Solt) had released any clips to the media, but it never hurts to start the buzz as early as possible, I guess...

And to all who asked, I wasn't asked to work on the "Match Geme" box set, so the version of the 12/2/62 pilot that is on the set should just be the kinescope.

I do have a LiveFeed test clip from a 1964 "all-star" MG episode up at blip.tv, though, if anyone cares to watch...

http://www.blip.tv/file/77269

The necessity of web broadcast encoding flattens out the "LiveFeed" effect a bit, but it's still quite enjoyable, I think.

-Kevin

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I would be all over buying "Password"!

Well, actually, I would only want it if it included the Queen of Password, Elizabeth Montgomery's appearances. Hers and Agnes Moorehead's.

I think that is AWESOME that MatchGame is being released. I used to watch that all the time!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
You know, I had often thought about how great it would be to have this on dvd but never in my wildest dreams thought it would happen. This was my favorite game show. My wife is going to think I'm nuts for buying a game show dvd. I hope they come out with more "Best Ofs" of MG.

Other shows I'd like to see:
Tattle Tales
Tic,Tac,Dough
Joker's Wild

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, are there any clips online of the restored Elvis tapes? Have you been approached by the legit owners of certain programs in kinescope form?

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
Charles:

There are none up at the moment, as Image Entertainment will be spearheading the publicity... I'm told they intend to get at least one clip up on the web before the release date (November 21st), but I haven't seen it yet. Soon, perhaps...

To answer your second question, yes, we've been talking informally with a few different content providers, but there's nothing major to announce **yet**. I expect to be even busier after the Sullivan shows, though-- particularly when an increasing number of intellectual property holders see the results, and also consider the fact that the LiveFeed footage is able to be newly copyrighted, and therefore, they don't have to bother with concerns that some "P.D. shark" is going to try to appropriate their vintage material.

Of course, that does mean that I want to get everything looking as nice as possible, too-- we're going to be seeing some of this footage licensed for a long time into the future! :D

Finally, for those who are both patient and curious, there are also a few more clips at:

http://blip.tv/posts/?user=philofarnsworth

and one at what will soon be the new site:

http://blip.tv/posts/?user=livefeed

Enjoy!

-Kevin

(Oh-- and sorry for hijacking the thread!) :)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Kevin,

What a great process "Live Feed" is. Old kinescope now has a new life.
Enjoyed the "How High The Moon" demo...great tune !!!
One question...does this process also diminish in any way, the amount of specks and lines found on kinescope film ??

John

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I checked out the Livefood restorations of What's My Line and The Match Game from the 1960s, and WML looks the same to me as it did on Game Show Network.

Maybe it's because the website's picture is so small, because I'm using a 2005 Macintosh OS-X and a 15 inch Samsung SyncMaster 152N flat screen monitor, so I have great resolution.

At least The Match Game does looks better than the kinescope I saw on Game Show Network during a marathon a few years ago (which was co-hosted for GSN in this century by elderly Charles Nelson Reilly and Brett Somers).

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

John:

Well, any dirt or blobs on the film itself should ideally be cleaned before I start to work on it... but of course, that's often not the reality of the situation, so generally speaking, there's at least some amount of image cleanup that I do by hand-- mostly so the finished product meets my own standards.

Tram lines (the dark vertical lines that occasionally show up on vintage films, from rough projection) are still a difficulty... but that's true for everyone that deals with the medium. There are now rather sophisticated programs that are no doubt capable of eliminating them (I'm thinking of something like Mokey), but I don't know of any home video producer that is looking to spend that kind of money on a project.

Film grain, synch strobing and moire are a different matter, however. LiveFeed really is uniquely suited for eliminating those kinescoping artifacts, and most of them drop out very nicely as a result of being processed. I'd have posted the "before" version of the Les Paul clip, but I don't think I have it handy at the moment... it's pretty grungy. To top it off, not only is the kinescope film rough, but my source was a VHS copy of an "Omnibus" doucumentary. So as you might guess, I'm pretty pleased to get the final results that you see! :D

It's challenging work, but great fun, too... glad you enjoy the results!!

-Kevin

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Heh - I've got four words for you: "Big bucks! No whammie!"

Of course I'd like to get more You Bet Your Life. I got those two sets blind and theyre great stuff!

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Kevin,

Thanks for your response.
Have you put your "Live Feed" process to the ultimate test and tried restoring one of the 1948 "Texaco Star Theater" shows ??
Some of these shows are so washed out as to be barely viewable.
Just recently I was watching a 1956 "Tennessee Ernie Ford Show" where he sang Sixteen Tons. As I watched, I wondered if it could ever be viewed as clear as it first aired.
I think your Live Feed can make many shows like Ernie's look as if you're watching the live feed on a studio monitor.
Again congrats and good luck.

John

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Does anyone know what Brett thought of Gary Burghoff? I get the impression she didn't like him too much. She almost never looked at him and looked annoyed and rarely responded when he joked about her.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Nobody liked Gary Burgoff, although if you were a M*A*S*H fan then maybe you could tolerate Radar because the rest of the characters on the show were so good. :)

I just purchased this "Best of Match Game" set for $19.05 (DeepDiscountDVD) on Saturday. Looks like another pre-order deal.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure why you said that about Gary Burghoff...seems a bit mean-spirited to me. I always liked him myself so that proves your theory wrong.

I'm not sure if it's today or next Sunday, but GSN is showing a documentary on the show which I want to catch. That would've been a nice extra to put on the DVD set. I wonder, if there's ever a second volume, if they might include it as an extra later?

Edit: I have now seen a promo and the documentary airs not today but next weekend...figuried I better correct myself before someone else does!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks