What's new

Master of Disguise - Pan & Scan (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,
This thread would have saved me a lot of grief
if not for the fact that I read it too late.
Columbia sent me a screener of this film today.
I popped it in only to see "this film has been
modified to fit your screen"
I sat there in amazement. The studio couldn't
have screwed up and sent me the wrong copy.
I wrote Columbia asking about the error. My rep
has been answering my email all day, but suddenly,
this particular email has yet to go answered.
Looks like despite what other venues are reporting
in their specs, Master Of Disguise is a
Pan & Scan only title and I will not be reviewing
it -- that is -- unless you guys want to make a
point.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I think you're a good person and for the love of God, do not watch Master of Disguise. For the film's 75 minute running time, you can be off doing better things. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, Columbia did respond via Email
so my apologies to them.
I have been told that Master of Disguise is
only available P&S.
Just unbelievable!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I didn't read this thread before I ordered MOS. I finally got around to popping it in and noticed the dreaded "this film has been modified to fit your screen". :angry:
I immediately went to Amazon to see if they screwed up my order. I now know (a bit too late) that I am S.O.L.
So now I have to think to myself...Do I watch just live with the fact that it's P&S? I wasn't expecting the movie to be that great, and since others are saying that it's absolutely horrible, it probably won't be a movie that I watch more than once so the Fullframe won't be an issue when I'm done watching it.
Or do I return the DVD to Amazon? Can you return DVD's so long after you've purchased them? I ordered this on Jan. 22. I realize that it's not Amazons fault, so arguing with them isn't going to make any sort of statement. I'd probably get more reaction by sending it to Columbia Pictures along with a nasty letter.
Hmmmm, what to do?
EDIT: I just checked Amazons return policy:
We cannot accept returns of certain items, including:
* Any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery.
* Any CD, DVD, VHS tape, software, video game, cassette tape, or vinyl record that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).
So I guess I'm stuck with it :thumbsdown: :frowning:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Send it back to Columbia if you want to make an impression. This is why I prefer to buy stuff in person after I've checked the cover, or know for certain the details of what I'm ordering through the mail.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
For anyone who cares, Master of Disguise is getting an anamorphic widescreen release in Region 4 (Australia) and Region 2 (UK / Europe).

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
For anyone who cares, Master of Disguise is getting an anamorphic widescreen release in Region 4 (Australia) and Region 2 (UK / Europe).
I am SO there, dude!:wink: Does it include director's audio commentary, deleted scenes, storyboards, and a BBC docu on the impact of the film on American society? :laugh:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night and all I gotta say is, thank god the movie sucked, so now I don't feel so bad that the movie was P&S ;)
The thing that REALLY got me was the deleted and extra scenes were OAR!!!!!!! Granted, they were letterboxed and not anamorphic, but still :angry:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
1. Master of Disguise is an awful film; a truly amateurish and unfunny pastiche of barely connected 'masquerading comedian' schtick. I absolutely loathed it.
2. It was produced for a theatrical release; the DVD should have an OAR transfer.
Shows you how much respect some studios (don't) have for their own shoddy product.
I couldn't imagine how this film could be any worse. Now I know.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

Just when you think watching this movie can't get anymore unbearable, Sony proves everyone wrong.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This is why I prefer to buy stuff in person after I've checked the cover
I'm usually very good at double checking this out when I order and recieve the discs, but since there was only the one version of this movie, I assumed it was widescreen. I know, it's wrong to assume, but COME ON! Since when do studios produce fullframe only DVD's of recent movies? The other thing was, it took me forever to find the fullframe text on the DVD case. It was barely visible. They could have at least given a better warning. Even if I didn't buy this online, I still probably would have bought this at the store because it was more of an impulse buy and I don't think I would have as concerned about studying the case for the fullframe warning.
From now on, I'll be doing a LOT more checking on my DVD's before I open them up.
Damn, I learned a HARD $20 lesson :frowning: Hopefully someone from Columbia Pictures is reading this so I can say "BOO!!!!!" :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Mark, my understanding from Ebert's review and others is the movie itself is 65 minutes, but then they run the credits really slowly. I ends up taking 15 minutes. If they hadn't done this, it wouldn't be long enough to count as a movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Mark, my understanding from Ebert's review and others is the movie itself is 65 minutes, but then they run the credits really slowly. I ends up taking 15 minutes. If they hadn't done this, it wouldn't be long enough to count as a movie.
Actually, I checked this when I reviewed the movie - the credits run for 10 minutes, not 15. Not much of a difference, but the movie lasts 70 minutes pre-credits...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks