What's new

Master of Disguise - Pan & Scan (1 Viewer)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Just wanted to let everyone who is planning on pre-ordering this movie (please don't if you were), Columbia/Tristar's DVD only offers a pan & scan version - unfortunately, no anamorphic widescreen.

As for the movie, I wish I had my 80 minutes (65 + 15 minutes of outtakes at the end of the movie) back.

On a happier family film-related note, "Free Willy: 10th Anniversary" only includes a very nice 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, that's probably Nickelodeon's choice, rather than the distributor. And isn't this a Paramount title?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Did Nickelodeon have anything to do with Master of Disguise? It was produced by Adam Sandler's company and they've seemed to always work with Sony in the past, so I think it's strictly a Columbia decision and release.

Certainly, I have no intention of buying this unseen, but it's disturbing when a major studio release does this. Particularly, Columbia/TriStar who's never messed with new theatrical releases like this before.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
"Free Willy: 10th Anniversary" only includes a very nice 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation.
The original Free Willy DVD included a good 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation, too.

Free Willy 2 is also anamorphic widescreen. Oddly, Free Willy 3 is full-screen only.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
To be honest, that's probably Nickelodeon's choice, rather than the distributor. And isn't this a Paramount title?
Master of Disguise is not a Nickelodeon film, all of which have offered widescreen presentations on DVD. The DVD is from Columbia Tristar.

Paramount has always offered at least the choice of a widescreen presentation on its family films, as it will do when The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2.35:1 OAR!) comes out on DVD.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I thought this was going to be widescreen. At amazon.com it says widescreen. Is this from a preview copy, Aaron?

Man, if this is true I wish I would have seen it in the theater. I was going to go and watch it, but then I decided I'd wait and rent the DVD. Bummer, I guess I won't be seeing this movie.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I thought this was going to be widescreen. At amazon.com it says widescreen. Is this from a preview copy, Aaron?
I have a final version of the disc. The movie is full-screen only. The menus appear to be anamorphic widescreen, as does the trailer. The deleted scenes are non-anamorphic widescreen. How CTHV can justify this discrepancy (as Disney did with Snow Dogs) is beyond me.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Only "Perfect" and "Ishtar" have I hated more than this movie.
I don't know about you, but I would watch Perfect and Ishtar any day over the piece of crap that was The Master of Disguise. I'm kind of happy that the film is in pan and scan as it doesn't deserve a widescreen transfer, but I would probably be happier if the DVD never saw the light of day. Then again, I'm sad as Columbia/Tri-star is not including a widescreen transfer either on the same DVD or as a sepereate release. Last time I checked, if the film was framed for widescreen, the DVD should be in widescreen.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Master of Disquise deserves a P&S-only CED Selectavision release and that's it.

That valuable DVD resources are going to this piece of s%#@ is an abomination! A blasphemy!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Master of Disquise deserves a P&S-only CED Selectavision release and that's it.

That valuable DVD resources are going to this piece of s%#@ is an abomination! A blasphemy!
Releasing movies on DVDs in their OAR should be standard operating procedure. It shouldn't be based on if the movie "deserves" it or whether you happened to like it or not.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Amazon.com Yahoo Shopping, Laser's Edge, and Deep Discount DVD all state that Master of Disguise willl include both a 16x9 letterbox and pan & scan transfer.

Amazon.com Yahoo Shopping, DVDPlanet and DVD.com all state that Free Willy 3 will be in 16x9 Widescreen.

So don't worry until a reputable review site posts the information.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I believe you. But I have not heard of you before, and I don't read your newspaper, so I have no way to judge if you are a reliable source or not. Most people would require proof before making a final decision on whether or not to buy the product.

Also, DVDfile has stated that Free Willy 3 will be in Widescreen, so if it is not included, it was dropped at the last minitue, as they did with Willy Wonka.

Willy Wonka, Free Willy? hmmm....I notice a trend.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
The pan and scan choice is because the movie is being marketed to kids (which was intended to be the key demographic anyway).

But it's adults, not kids, that demand pan and scan. Whenever I have my nephews or nieces over, we will often watch a movie (always wide screen on a standard TV) and they have NEVER once even questioned it. Kids are very accepting by nature. I say, start them when they're young. Release all children's movies in OAR!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
While this forum is pro-OAR, this is a thread about "The Master of Disguise", and all rules are off when this film is involved. :D
If only this could be run at full frame with the entire apeture exposed. Due to my hatred of the film, when I was hanging out at my local theater last summer, I projected this 1.85:1 film at a local theater with the masking all the way down to the frameline, spotting boommikes, hard mattes, camera flaps and the odd hand throughout. More fun than anything that was going on in the safe zone, and no one even noticed it was out of frame. :)
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks