What's new

Master Audio and TrueHD on Same Disc (1 Viewer)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I rented the Rolling Stones "Shine a Light" Blu-Ray the other day. I found it strange that it contained both Master Audio and TrueHD sound tracks. I don't understand why. Do they sound different? I thought it would not matter which HD format you include since they are both lossless. So wouldn't putting two flavors on the same disc be redundant? And wast space?

BTW - I was not impressed at all with the sound. I'm used to watching concerts that hit you hard (almost like being there). This one did not. I tried all 3 sound tracks.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

I agree with you about this mix as it was a bit odd. Definately not one of the better BR concerts for audio and not one you would throw in to "demo" your system.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't see it being much different than including DD and DTS lossy formats on the same DVD. They are almost always different mixes. Some people may not have any DTS capability I guess.

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
You do not see it that much with DTS-HD MA and DTHD on the same disc. Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the Blue Undergound movies all have both audio tracks. Final Countdown and Stendhal Syndrome are the titles out so far from Blue Underground. Some of the older Blu-ray players still do not support DTS-HD MA so the DTHD track becomes important for those consumers.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
That would be my guess : TrueHD for analog or HDMI PCM multichannel output from players that don't have DTS-HD MA decoders, DTS-HD MA for SPDIF (coax/optical) output for receivers without HDMI or multichannel analog input.
A PCM track & a standard 1536 kbps DTS track would achieve the same result with less confusion, I think.

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Well guys, try John Woo's "Red Cliff" on Blu-ray and you will notice the difference.

Mandarin DTS HD 7.1 Master Audio

Mandarin Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1

Mandarin LPCM 7.1

Enjoy!

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks