What's new

Master and Commander.....Details (1 Viewer)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey

More than just that: having read your comments, Mr Prior, I can tell you that you've made a convert. I've now got Master and Commander on my pre-order list.

Damnit. :)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I love the film (and will be getting it on the cheap), but $40 is a ridiculous price-point for the only OAR version of the film. I don't have a problem with that for what you get, but the single disc should be OAR (or separate full-frame and OAR versions) and retail for $25 barebones. I talked to a friend who's a manager at a retail outlet in West L.A. and he knows people are going to be up in arms about this when the movie comes out. A lot of people want the movie first and don't care about extras, particularly those who didn't see this in the theater and want to rent it first.

This is a very bad precedent for Fox to be setting.

Matt Shiv

Agent
Personally I am very pleased at this announcement. The phrase 'full screen special edition' is a misnomer. People who don't care enough about the movie to see it the way it was filmed don't need all the bonus features anyway.

The first week of release this will sell for less than $25 at major retail chains. I am more than willing to pay a little bit extra for a top-notch dvd package. Let the people who don't like them black bars have a cheap no-frills version.

This is not going to be difficult to pick up at rental. I would expect most rental chains to go with the special edition. Even in my little Southern Ohio town, the Movie Gallery store only picks up OAR releases now (except for scattered family titles). A Best Picture nominee is going to get stocked in Widescreen...

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
To clarify, I don't mind if there's an expensive SE version of the film as an alternate. But a LOT of people are going end up getting the cheaper version, not expecting it to be full-frame. I hope Fox releases a cheaper OAR version in addition to the set or there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers come the end of April. Note that this is a marketing decision (are you reading this, Peter Staddon?) and most definitely not a creative one on David Prior's part.

Matt, I think you're wrong about the rental part. I think that a lot of retailers, particularly Mom & Pop stores, are going to look at the bottom line and stick with the cheaper version. What a shame. (Oxford- my alma mater; Miami U class of '92!)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
They always give a riduculous price in the press release notice. I've never seen a DVD actually come out at the suggested retail price.

Either way I'll probably get it, even though I haven't seen the movie.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
can't wait for this one...my favourite film of last year and most wanted disc of this one. I am delighted its going to be a great release.

I haven't decided whether to go for the slightly earlier, cheaper reg2 release or wait for reg 1 ? :confused:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
David Prior,

Not to get off subject too much, but did you happen to find out if the Panic Room: SE is a new video transfer, or is it the same video transfer as the Superbit version?

Thank you.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was unaware that M&C was a David Prior disc. Excellent. I missed this film in the theaters (where I really should have seen it, I know). But it's an instant purchase, sight unseen. It looks like a great package. Kudos on the full-frame single disc as well.

Take care ;)
Chuck

David Prior

Insider

Fincher handled the transfer side on the disc himself and I'm not sure what he did. I know he's been less than pleased with previous versions, but how much he changed it I don't know at present. When I find out I'll let you know.

Cheers,

David Prior

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yeah, but a $39 price tag usually is on sale at $25 at the lowest and that's still about $10 more than most 2-disc releases. :)

I actually haven't seen this movie. So I'll probably have to before spending $25 for it.

Guy_K

Second Unit
The coverart looks great, but what material is the case made of? I've found all these fox 2-disc digipack cases to be pretty cheap and un-sturdy, I hope Master and Commander is packaged more like Fight Club, or Seven.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I enjoyed this movie in the theater and all, but I can't bring myself to pay 40 bucks just to see those annoying red dots in the ocean again. ;)

Rob

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Could the higher than usual pricepoint be due to three major studios being involved? Obviously Fox owns the video rights, but maybe they have to kick a lot back to the other studios. I wanted to see this in the theater but didn't get to. If it's $25 on release I'll blind buy it. I'm just afraid with a list of $40 that will be lucky if places like Best Buy have it for 27.99.

GarySchrock

Second Unit

Heh, if you're talking about the copy protection dots I agree completely. First movie where I've actually noticed them, and it was absolutely driving me nuts. Really affected my enjoyment of the film too, since it basically ruined the atmosphere of the movie.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The dreaded copy protection dots.

I have no idea why the studios think this is a good idea, but it is their choice to do that since they're putting out the movie whether any of us agree with it or not.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I was under the assumption that the CAP codes were for theatrical prints only and won't show up on the DVD release.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
CharlesD,

So far Post Captain is pretty good. A little harder of a read than I am use to with all the british vinacular but all in all its a fun read. I probably would have started at the beginning as well but I had easy access (grandparents book) to Post Captain so I figured I would give it a shot. When I'm done I'll probably go back and read the first book before starting out on the third.

Chris S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks