What's new

MASH The Complete Series Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I still roll with my original thoughts that the studios should release the boxed sets and the invidual sets at the beginning so that fans can choose which format they want to go with.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
This release has me so upset. I purchased every single season of M*A*S*H 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, and soon to be 11, and I have hoped and prayed that the next set would have had some small extra bonus feature. Its not like this is a show that no one ever watched. Its M*A*S*H for goodness sake. And after all of my time and money spent on this series Fox has the brilliant idea to release the complete MASH box set with extras included, fine, I can deal with that, but please at least put the bonus disc in season 11. I realize this is to make more money, but I think that they should care more about the happiness of their customers like Warner does. I was happy to see that it was the 30th anniversary show that was included since I already have my copy burned onto DVD and fitted snugly into my season 1 set.

Considering the movie is included in this box set, what are the odds that one of the bonus discs is from the 2-disc DVD of the movie that used to be available. While it does say that the special features are "never before seen extras", it is very possible that they could be wrong...

Either way, I'll be picking this up the moment it comes out!

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

So true........those that have been loyal buyers of the series are being.....punished???

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I still don't understand why people complain so much.

I had all seven seasons of Buffy when the chosen collection was announced. I sold my sets at half of what I paid for them... and STILL had $50 bucks more than the cost of the complete collection.

I've since done the same in anticipation for ALIAS and Six Feet Under, both of which are getting new Complete Series sets.

I realize how it's upsetting, but it's not like there is no time to unload the previous editions and get the new one.

Suppose you bought seasons 1-8 of MASH already... selling those would likely give you at least 100-120. If that's the case, then for just 30-50 bucks more you can get seasons 9, 10 and 11... plus the movie, plus the giant box to house them all in.

If you've bought all 11 releases... you'll easily make back enough to buy the huge box.

Sure I spent a total of 350 or so buying all 5 seasons of SIX FEET UNDER. I made about 170 when I sold them all off. Sure it seems like a rip-off for me... but the new box includes two soundtrack CDs I've yet to purchase that I've wanted... so the extra 20 I'll have to throw in for the complete set is worth it for me.

For BUFFY I made about 160 for all of my seasons and picked it up during the Deepdiscountdvd.com sale... for $111.12.

Paying for my four seasons of ALIAS cost me somewhere around 160 bucks. I made about 120 selling them off. Throw in what I would have paid for season 5 when it came out and I'm once again breaking even, but getting the neat limited box and such.

It's really not such a huge kick in the face if you're willing to put a few hours into selling your previous sets. These studios are a business... they are trying to make money.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
True, but as someone who was loyal and bought the sets I also had ample time to sell 'em off in order to get the new set.

I guess I'm just so jaded I EXPECT to get burned by these companies. They are in the business of making money. I've gotten peeved about a ton of re-releases of films and the like, so I'm not surprised it happened with TV shows... and wasn't too surprised about Buffy as the set came out there earlier.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Here is a look at the Region 4 Set, I assume the Region 1 will look similar if not the same.
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/786005
Its very interesting packaging and a cheap price too wich is nice, im sure that will make some fans that are upset about this set being released, actually buy it.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Does anyone think that this [what Fox has done with the extras exclusive to the boxed set] may encourage the illegal practice of 'burning' the extras in order to have the complete set?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
While this issue is out of bounds I think that it does contribute to the problem when a studio releases standard DVD sets with no extras and then releases the extras on a limited set without letting fans have the choice on which release they want.

All studios are to blame for this. Let's not forget the diabolical mishap over the bonus disks. Fans are so pissed over this that studios no longer accept responsibility and force consumers to ship the items back to them (the studio) at the expense of the consumer which isn't fair.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Corporation and Fox Studios seem to be the biggest losers with consumers because of their ability to release manufactured defects and not step up to bat. When a defect is identified they tell consumers to ship the item back to them at the consumers cost for a replacement copy.

It's something that they really need to work on.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Judging by the info on TVShowsonDVD.com the extras in the set aren't compelling enough to plunk down $200.00 on the set.

All that extra shelf space, on the other hand....

Real Name
Håkan Andersson
So does anyone know where we can post/email our complaints?
Maybe we who bought series 1-10 should agree NOT to buy season 11?

Coressel

Supporting Actor

I thought the extras looked pretty great. There are a couple of things I wish they would include, like "Making M*A*S*H" which ran on PBS in the early 80's, but what's there looks fairly indepth.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
Short of marketing the bonus discs for retail purchase, I don't see why Fox wouldn't offer in the season 11 set a mail-in promotion where those who have bought the 1-10 season sets could send in the proofs of purchase (receipts would be a bit unrealistic at this point) and postage to get the two bonus discs. That would seem reasonable.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Knowing some of the people at Fox Home Entertainment, I feel safe in saying, that's why they won't do it...

Coressel

Supporting Actor
...Which brings up a question I've been asking pretty much my entire life:

What the fuck is a "Proof of Purchase" label for?

Vincent P

Auditioning
Real Name
Vincent Paul
It would be great if that was on there. I've always wanted to see it again. Especially the blooper reel with Farr and Farrell. I'm hoping it'll be on this set.

By the way, I was able to pre-order the box for $129. Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks