What's new

MASH Season 9 Announced And A Question (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
2 sets a year is quick compared to the snail's pace of released like All In The Family and Jeffersons.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I love MASH threads. I was 9 when it started and 20 when it ended...talk about growing up on it. Count me in as one who loves the first 3 years. One of the best sitcoms ever, then it became a dramedy. A different show, but damn it was still MASH!

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
I only own seasons 1 thru 3 and for me, it is a complete set. Things went downhill after Trapper left, Henry died, and Radar got dumber.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I also own S1-S3 in my collection. I've been meaning to obtain the follow-up sets but just haven't gotten around to it. To me S1-S3 represents the first great phase of MASH, as S4-S5 is the second phase (with B.J. and Col. Potter coming aboard and Frank leaving at the end of S5), and S6-on is the third phase (after Winchester's arrival in S6 and Radar's departure in S8).

For me, it's interesting to see how the entire series fits into a three-year time frame. That's one of the great continuity glitches of the series. Another one has both of Hawkeye's parents alive and living in Vermont during S1, but later seasons established Hawkeye's father as a widower living in Crabapple Cove, Maine. Likewise, Henry Blake's wife was referred to as "Mildred" in S1 and "Lorraine" in S2-S3. And if we consider B.J. arrives in Korea in 1951, then only two years passes for the remainder of the series to occur. This would definitely conflict with Col. Potter said to arrive in Korea in 1952, yet in the one episode that spans all of 1951, he is there at the end of 1950. Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

Here's a great link to look at many of the series' flubs over the years:

http://www.bestcareanywhere.net/nitpick.htm

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if any collections will come out - maybe after the season set are released?

I think it's a great show, but I simply have some personal favorites and can't do another 11 seasons of another show.

I know to many posters on this thread who love the show, my question may seem impossible, but the show did have great popularity - popularity that might suggest that a best of collection would do great for people like me who won't committ to 11 seasons etc.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Somehow, I doubt it. With a show as popular as MASH and since it's not the type of show to catch collections as a sort of best of hits series, I doubt this series will be featured in the same aspect as the recent X-Files Mythologies Series.

MASH is so reasonably priced (Target for around $30) and Best Buy and Circuit City between $30-35. When the first two seasons of this series I had got damaged, I just went back out and repurchased the sets, although it did take me several months to finally pick them back up.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
There's not going to be any Alan Alda commentaries on future MASH DVD sets. I saw this quote on www.bestcareanywhere.net this morning:

"During the Q&A session at Barnes & Noble in New York City, Alan Alda was asked if he would be doing director's commentary for any episodes on any upcoming DVD sets of M*A*S*H. Alda responded Fox has never asked him to provide any commentary and, even if they had, he might not be able to recall enough relevant details."

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If I were Alan Alda (and the rest of the legendary cast) I'd be VERY insulted at not being asked to participate. Plus it's an insult to the fans and this show. I'm thrilled that I'll be able to have the entire collection but I think it's sinful that classics such as this and All In The Family are being released bare bones. BLASPHEMY !

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Screen Actors Guild went on strike in 1980, which delayed the start of the fall TV season (until November in many cases) and resulted in most shows airing for fewer weeks and producing fewer episodes. As more TV shows find their way to DVD we'll see this again. There was a protracted and bitter SAG strike in 1960, as I recall, and I'm pretty sure a couple of Writers' Guild strikes over the last 40 years or so that resulted in shortened TV seasons.

Regards,

Joe

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I stopped collecting after the fifth season. After Frank Burns left it changed from being a comedy to a dramady. The characters of Hawkeye and Hot Lips( Margret) changed too much. I stopped enjoying it.

I would say there is a possibilty that best of disks could be released after all 11 seasons are released. Fox has started doing it with other shows such as X-files and Buffy. MASH is not a Sci Fi show so maybe not.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I seem to recall a flap a few years ago between Alda and Fox over them leasing the show to the Fox-owned FX network for umpteen zillion airings throughout their schedule. Alda, as I recall, felt that the move cheapened the show, and ruined it for the standard syndication market.

I'll be buying all seasons as they are available. We finish each evening before going to sleep with an episode of M*A*S*H.

Harry

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yes, FX did run the show into the ground. But they were a struggling network at the time so I'm sure to them the show was a blessing. However, I think the show was overplayed in reruns long before that. The Hallmark Channel is currently playing it.

If Alda did have a falling out with Fox then that would explain their refusal to include his commentary and his seemingly indifferent reaction to it.

Guess who loses in all of this ? Us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks