What's new

Masada (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Does anyone recall this mini series in the 80's? It was excellent. It's up there with Shogun and Roots as far a I am concerned.

Any word on Masada coming and is Shogun still on tap for 4th quarter 2003?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Masada was released by Universal in a shortened form (not more than two hours as I recall) not long after its television broadcast in 1981.

It was made available in its long form (394 minutes) on VHS in the late 1990s.

While there may be some question about its total historical accuracy as many points are still not known for certain, Peter O'Toole and the entire cast made this a high point in television viewing. Having walked Masada and its ruins several years after the broadcast, I was able to get a much more in focus view of the history.

DVD would be a perfect software platform for this film, which should fit well onto three or four discs. A fine idea, which will be suggested to the powers that be.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Having walked Masada and its ruins several years after the broadcast, I was able to get a much more in focus view of the history.
Yes, based on the series, that is something I intend to do at some point in my life.

A DVD of this series is nigh on essential.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Certainly a word to the good by Mr Harris will carry more weight than the average person's request.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I remember watching this series when I was fifteen. I never thought made-for-TV movies could turn out that good.

Count me in as a future buyer of this DVD. But are the original film elements still in decent condition? Television is well known for severely neglecting their libraries.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Good call! I'd love to see an uncut Masada on DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

The same goes for other Roman "historical" mini-series such as A.D..

Joshua_W

Second Unit
"Masada" must be excellent. I remember watching it when I was about eight years old, and a lot of things from it still stick in my mind after all of these years. Very few things do that.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as a future buyer of this DVD. But are the original film elements still in decent condition? Television is well known for severely neglecting their libraries
I certainly hope that the film elements are in good shape & not neglected. This is one of my ATFs!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
DVD would be a perfect software platform for this film, which should fit well onto three or four discs. A fine idea, which will be suggested to the powers that be
I hope that Mr Harris has suggested to Universal that they release this mini-series on DVD. Undoubtedly we'll have to wait until Universal changes hands to see it. If I remember correctly didn't ABC telecast this originally? And if NBC buys Universal how would this impact a DVD release? Hmmm... :confused:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I've never seen the mini-series, but having been to Masada and getting a strong feel for its history while I was there, I'd like to see this on DVD so I can have the opportunity to watch it.

As for visiting Masada now, I wouldn't recommend it. The Palastinian suicide bombers make no differentiation between Israelis and anyone else. Masada's proximity to the West Bank makes it a dangerous trip and tourism in that region has greatly reduced. Many of the bombings that have happened over the last 2+ years have occured in places I frequented during my 6 weeks in Israel.

But the day around Masada was one of the most memorable days of my life when I was there. Walking up the Roman Ramp at Masada to watch the sunrise and taking a tour (I have some great pictures of the sun rising over the mountains). Returning down via the snake path. Then we went to the Dead Sea to float around in the salty water. After we cleaned up, we traveled to the nearby oasis Ein Gedi. Hiking through a valley along the river bank to a huge waterfall and basin, it was so beautiful to see that in the middle of the desert.

Sorry for my ramblings. This thread brought back memories of my trip in 1993. I want to go back, but not until the bombings are stopped. :frowning:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Like Joe, I had the very luck yopportunity to visit Masada and hear the stort recollected by a brilliant narrator ON THE SITE. I'd love to see a mini-series of the events, as Masada itself is awe-inspiring.

I'd also love to return.

Take care,
Chuck

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi folks

Like Joe & Chuck, I have also been to Masada in 1996 as part of my stint as a Kibbutz volunteer in Israel while travelling through that part of the region.

We stayed overnight at the foot of the Masada site so that we would have enough time for that awesome sunrise. The Site itself is just a marvelous site to behold. Especially when you consider how high it is to the top.

Like Joe, I made my way down via the snake path and trekked through the Ein Gedi valley was sheer beauty with the waterfalls and floating through the Dead Sea.

A few months later I was on the Jordanian site of the Dead Sea. So different and non commercial !!!

I would buy the dvd in a heartbeat yet would not go back to Israel, too dangerous to my liking at the moment

Cheers

Oscar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks