What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Season 4 Music Change (1 Viewer)

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe they ruined one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite episodes of MTM: "Angels in the Snow," where Mary dates a 25 year-old man and tries to dress and act younger. She and Rhoda go to a party at his apartment and as they enter, there's a 50's doo-wop style song playing on the old-fashioned jukebox. But for the DVD, they've replaced that song with something that sounds like a cross between Josie & the Pussycats and The Supremes. Don't get me wrong; I happen to like (and have CD's of) both Josie and The Supremes but that song is just wrong. The tempo, the era (Rhoda says the song was playing at her prom, which would have been c. 1960, right?) are all wrong. And Rhoda snaps her fingers in time to the song and it doesn't match up.

OK, I understand they're trying to save money and the original song (does anyone remember what it was?) was probably too costly. But couldn't they have picked a similar 50's-sounding song? Why go with something that is just so completely and glaringly, obviously inappropriate? Ruins the whole scene for me, and as I said, it's one of my all-time favorite scenes.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
Just read it; thanks. I did a search here before posting to see if anyone had already posted about this, but couldn't find anything. I didn't think to check amazon reviews. So the song was "Earth Angel"....duh, of course that was it. And replacing it with a Josie & the Pussycats knockoff is just truly bizarre.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered seasons 3 & 4 from amazon. Will get 1 & 2 if I like these.

Love this show, just watching the budget and didn't want to start buying a series only to find it cut short. Been reading to much about season 1 being released, maybe 2, only to find out the studio has dropped any further releases. Things look good for seasons 5-7 if we're seeing season 4.

MTM Show seems to have some very minor edits that I can tolerate. It's not like they're releasing syndicated versions that are completely missing 2-3 minutes of footage. Season 4 has had maybe 20 seconds of music altered? Apparently they didn't do a very good job, but I can live with it.

Many years ago, one of the cable channels ran all 7 seasons non-stop. I had 2 VCRs, used 8 hour tapes and was able to tape every show. Pretty crappy quality, probably syndicated versions and the tapes are now long gone. I'm looking forward to seeing this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks