What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Here is the Australian cover art...

4477722.jpg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Seriously, if the film ends up looking and sounding half as great as Dick Van Dyke does now, we've got ourselves a winner.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Back in 1964 my 4th grade teacher took the entire class to see this at a first run theater in CT. Guess who was the only kid that didn't get to go? I was in bed with the flu or some such thing. I remember they brought me back the souvenir program.

I never got to see it until decades later when it was first released on home video.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Very excited that the released date is near, but why on earth is this great film not getting a special box set? I think it deserves a nice collector's boxed set like 'Wizard of Oz" or "Sound of Music" got. They could have included a book, postcards, extra features, etc. From what we've heard so far, most of the special features have been carried over from the 40th Anniv edition. Those were all wonderful, but the 50th deserves so much more.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
BBbrowd said:
Very excited that the released date is near, but why on earth is this great film not getting a special box set? I think it deserves a nice collector's boxed set like 'Wizard of Oz" or "Sound of Music" got. They could have included a book, postcards, extra features, etc. From what we've heard so far, most of the special features have been carried over from the 40th Anniv edition. Those were all wonderful, but the 50th deserves so much more.
Disney doesn't typically do "big boxes of junk," as some people around here call them. The last one I remember, and there were probably more in the last ten years or so, was the DVD Collector's Edition of The Lion King. It had four small pictures in it, to the best of my memory.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Jason_V said:
Disney doesn't typically do "big boxes of junk," as some people around here call them. The last one I remember, and there were probably more in the last ten years or so, was the DVD Collector's Edition of The Lion King. It had four small pictures in it, to the best of my memory.
Thanks, Jason. That makes sense.
It would be great if there was a book released on the history and production of the film at least. All the artwork and photographs that could be included would make a gorgeous presentation. There have been many Poppins storybooks through the years, but not an entire hardcover book dedicated to the film itself.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
BBbrowd said:
Mary Poppins was shown last night at Grauman's as part of the AFI Fest. Here's a nice clip of Dick Van Dyke on the red carpet. Halfway through he holds up the new blu-ray. Thought I'd post this here as it's a nice little preview of the slip cover.
He really looks and sounds great!

I find it interesting that he hopes that MARY POPPINS will someday get the same 3D treatment as The WIZARD of OZ.

For those who only know Dick Van Dyke as a song and dance man, and light comic actor, you really should check out the COLUMBO 4th season episode "Negative Reaction". It not only showcases Mr. Van Dykes ability as a dramatic actor, but it's one of the most highly rated Columbo episodes as well.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
All Van Dyke fans also need to hunt down his incredible performance as a self-destructive alcoholic in the heartbreaking telefilm THE MORNING AFTER (1974), which unfortunately remains MIA on any home video format.

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
UK release is out today - I have a copy and it seems to have most of the USA listed bonus features but certainly doesn't have the 7.1 audio. Quite surprised by this - 5.1 DTS-HD audio only. I have attached a scan of the rear cover below.

Picture quality is OK'ish. Expected a lot more perhaps but this one looks like it has quite a lot of grain compared to the trailer I looked at.

Scan 2.jpeg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A Disney film which features animation and it has film grain left in it, lo and behold there is a God, let's hope this catches on.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Escapay said:
Bruce already answered for the US. On the 2004 documentary "A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman," he mentioned that some theatres (he surmises London) played with an intermission, taking place after "Stay Awake." They even included a shot of the intermission card:

attachicon.gif
MaryPoppinsIntermission.JPG

Does anyone know if foreign versions also included an overture and exit music? The main title music is sometimes billed as the Overture on some soundtracks, but I haven't come across any exit music.
When I first saw MARY POPPINS (at The Midtown Theatre, in Philadelphia), in the first week of its run, it had an intermission after "Stay Awake". When I went back to see it (at the same theater, months later), it did not.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
westham said:
Hi,

It has this at the start with a fanfare of sorts.

attachicon.gif
Mark Poppins start.jpg
That fanfare is by orchestrator Irwin Kostel, and is part and parcel of MARY POPPINS. Thank God, they've restored it. It was missing from the latest DVD release; and, as insignificant as it might seem to others, it was greatly missed by me.

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
John Maher_289910 said:
That fanfare is by orchestrator Irwin Kostel, and is part and parcel of MARY POPPINS. Thank God, they've restored it. It was missing from the latest DVD release; and, as insignificant as it might seem to others, it was greatly missed by me.
Hope it is the one you want - it lasts for about 5-6 seconds only.

westham

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Quite amazed by how many extras are on this - some great footage from the premiere plus 2 x almost 1 hour long special features and loads more. A few look new to the Blu Ray as they are shot in HD. Some covering the stage musical (looks recent).

Just wish the UK release had the 7.1 track but not much going on with the 5.1 surrounds anyway so perhaps no great loss!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Reed Grele said:
Back in 1964 my 4th grade teacher took the entire class to see this at a first run theater in CT. Guess who was the only kid that didn't get to go? I was in bed with the flu or some such thing. I remember they brought me back the souvenir program.

I never got to see it until decades later when it was first released on home video.
And your parents didn't take you? To paraphase Uncle Albert, that's the saddest thing I ever heard.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Jeffrey Nelson said:
All Van Dyke fans also need to hunt down his incredible performance as a self-destructive alcoholic in the heartbreaking telefilm THE MORNING AFTER (1974),
+ The Runner Stumbles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.