What's new

Mary Kay LeTourneau...disgusting... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those who say "who cares?" - He's over 18 and is allowed to make up his own mind, and she served her prison time. I may not approve of it, but I have no say and they aren't breaking any laws, so good luck to both of them.

Actually, I'd be more upset if they didn't get together. Who needs that slut going after other minors. As I've stated in other marriage threads, I know people who are the same age that shouldn't be married, so why would I protest this? ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Same here. I don't view Mary Kay as a "typical" pedophile. Marrying someone when that person becomes an adult isn't the usual pattern. It's apparent she really loves him.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Some may feel that the boy has been "scarred" forever into loving her and only her alone... stuff like that.

Which makes no sense, or else we would all be marrying our first crushes...

--
H

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
My problem has nothing to do with the crime or their love. My problem is why the f*ck does the media care so much? Why do we care? What a sick, pathetic society.

CharlesD

Screenwriter

"The Media" doesn't care, just the channels that some of the people on this thread watch. This topic isn't all over any of the TV channels I watch, so I suggest to those who are upset at the publicity this couple are apparently receiving that they are watching the wrong channels! Stop watching and you'll do yourself a favor (and lower your blood pressure) and reduce the ratings of the channels that are pushing this story... if enough people stoped watching they'd stop showing these kind of stories as there wouldn't be any money in it.

JayBru

Auditioning
The previous post begins to get closer to the issue in this matter. How is it that the media decides or arrives at the conclusion that we do care? Is there an unidentified clientele that craves coverage of this unusual (by contemporary standards) relationship? I surely don't seek out this information but it usually manages to find me through one media outlet or the other. My theory or guess on this matter is that, sadly, a significant number of peoples lives are so unexciting, boring or unfulfilling that in some measure they seek some level of vicarious satisfaction through a "peeping" into the lives of people or lifestyles they would never or could never enter into themselves. Aren't the movies to a large measure that same escape from personal tedium that we would all would like to avoid but for whatever reasons are unable to avoid.

I don't mean to sound like a psycho-babbler but it just seems to me there is significant segment of society that is so dissatisfied with there own lot in life that if they can get some level of pleasure from the foibles, failures and even the success of others that is how feel better about themselves.

Now as for me, let me see a good baseball game with my son or daughter and I get a similar level of satisfaction from that event. I might believe my interests are superior to others but who am I to say? My metaphors are games, other peoples are something else.

It's not just Mary LeTourneau, it is also, Paris, J Lo, Tom Cruise, spoiled athletes, Kofi Annan, Tom Delay. Somebody once said there are no second acts in American, you need only look at the media to dispell that idea . . . ad infinitum . . .

;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: There's a LOT of white-trash around this country.

Perhaps these people enjoy these stories because it makes their own lives seem less bizarre (or pathetic) by comparison. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt even know who this person was when I clicked onthe thread.

I dont watch the news or read the papers.

But it just goes to show another low for network tv, which is completely useless and devoid of any sort of value.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
read my post, i was asking questions, not stating opinions. i dont wish them any harm, i hope they are happy in marriage. if they truly love each other, it will work out, no matter what people say. but not to be even a LITTLE skeptical about the whole thing is pretty stupid in this case.
it becomes my business the very second they appear willingly on television.

CJ

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, I have not seen anything about this couple either, but obviously enough people have to warrant my remarks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

I'm not joining this discussion, but, Jon, your post really jumped out at me. You do not read newspapers and do not watch news broadcasts? How, then, do you stay informed about the world around you?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Like some of the previous posters have stated. I blame the media more than them. They are both over 18 and can do what they want. My problem is if it is true that Entertainment Tonight gave them money to show their wedding. Then I have a big problem with that. You get some other woman or man in their 20 to 60's and they think they can do the same thing and get money and notoriety.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
I get tidbits here and there, people talking or whatever which is really unavoidable. At my job CNN comes on the televisions for 2 hours a day around noon.I catch Bill Maher every once in a while:)

I dont consider the news or papers to be "reliable" anyway.
I cant get into that discussion here at HTF:)But Im basically just sick of it all.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I haven't seen this couple either, probably because we pulled the plug on the tele when our daughter was born last year. I can see that I made the right decision! :D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

And you can't possibly tear yourself away? Sorry, but a simple push of the channel/power button makes this all go away.

Bruce

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Exactly what do you mean by “it becomes my business”? They don’t require your approval, disapproval, skepticism, acceptance, action, lack of action, or anything else from you to get married. Your opinion is irrelevant with respect to what they’re doing. That fact makes it none of your business. If you don’t like seeing coverage of them, change the channel. Then you don’t need to worry about it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

She was married when she first raped this kid. Who's to say she won't get "bored" now that she can legally be with this kid whenever she wants and seek out another little boy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks