What's new

Marx Brothers News? (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I apologize if I missed any updates, but has a release date been set for the MCA/Paramount box set?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks very much Jaime. Does anyone know if better elements were located, or are some of the films still cut?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm waiting for reviews on this before I pick it up. I want it badly, but I don't trust anything that Universal releases.

wayne pal

Auditioning
Will this set include all the early marx bros. films?

the set that was released earlier this year had only a couple of their decent movies.

I'm hoping this set will have the coconuts---animal crackers
monkey business---duck soup

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It will have ALL of those Wayne along with "Horse Feathers" too!

I just hope MGM can match the quality that was delivered earlier this year by Warners Bros. The bonus cartoon shorts, interviews and documentaries were all great and the cover art was one of the best I've seen yet, I hope MGM can offer something as equally impressive..

The new box art's already a bit of a let-down, looks like another public domain collection, but it's the content I'm really excited about!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ditto. I'm not expecting anything like the quality of the Warners box; my betting is that it we'll be looking at a virtual replica (standard wise) of the R2 set.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
MarcoBiscotti wrote "I just hope MGM can match the quality that was delivered earlier this year by Warners Bros."

These films are coming through Universal. They purchased the pre-1948 Paramount Library which had these titles. I'm waiting for a review to see if they've found new pre-print or done any clean up. The same titles issued by Image under license from Universal had all the same problems the 16mm and 35mm prints have had for years--choppy in places, poor sound, poor or high contrast.

It would be a miracle if the original nitrate negatives still existed and could be used to make new fine grains for these transfers--but somehow I think that's just wishful thinking.

John

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
The only justification I have for getting this then is that these are my favorite Marx Bros. films. The fact that they are light on extras is not a major issue as the Warner set has so many to make up for this. But that's me being a complete optimist. (or is it optimist completist?)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
These are some of the greatest comedies ever put to film and the best Universal could come up with for extras are a couple of Today Show interviews??

Too bad WB couldn't license these last year to compile the ultimate Marx Bros. set...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
So no word yet on whether it's worth upgrading from the Image set (except to get Horse Feathers)?

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

I have "Horse Feathers" as part of the Image release. I didn't buy a box set but got them one by one when they came out. But it was released.

I would upgrade if Universal has done anything to the masters, if they haven't it's a waste of money. If you don't have that one title, then it become a problem since Universal so far hasn't announced individual releases.

John

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The lack of a lot of bonus features is kind of annoying, especially since Universal could at least put Walter Lantz cartoons as extras on the discs (like Warner did with their MGM/Warner cartoons).

However, it'll be nice to at least have the films ago.

As for remastering, I really hope Universal did it for all 5 films. Duck Soup doesn't look too bad, but the others had lots of print damage and mediocre video transfers. I'm optimistic... especially since they did a total remaster for The Invisible Man on the "Invisible Man" series Legacy set.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

The set also comes in a custom package that resembles a thick (albeit somewhat flimsy) hardcover book, including a 40-page "booklet" that's bound into the cover. The booklet is light on text but does have lots of good, big photos, poster art and the equivalent of insert cards (chapter info) for each disc.

The Today Show interviews do appear to be the only disc-based extras. What's really bizarre is that the interviews get their own disc, a bonus sixth one, yet they total less than 15 minutes. That's right: This six-disc set has one disc whose contents are barely 15 minutes.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

What a rip-off. I had a feeling this would be a rip-off.

I'm glad I didn't get rid of my Image versions of these titles.....

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I was really hoping these collections (Marx and Fields) would be worth while, I was hoping they would turn to Mae West next. But, if these are junk, who cares. Why can't Universal get things together? It is a shame that the rich Paramount library, is treated so poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks